Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas drivers and their lunch

• 31-08-2018 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

apparently cooler bags not good enough, SIPTU running a risk assessment on them. They seem to work well enough for any normal person that drives for a living. Are SIPTU running out of things to complain about to justify their existence ?

link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wonder how they survived 14 years of school. we certainly didn't have a fridge or cooler bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

There will be people on this thread, soon enough, that will defend this to the hilt, as they defend, and often support, any industrial action, no matter how ridiculous it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What a bunch of whining whimps, seriously, how ridiculous are they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Pedro K wrote: »
    There will be people on this thread, soon enough, that will defend this to the hilt, as they defend, and often support, any industrial action, no matter how ridiculous it is.

I haven't seen that poster around much since they were on the losing side of the abortion referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Yeah heard that on the news earlier, they want the company to hire a few extra drivers so they can eat their lunch where they want....

There are thousands of people all over the country that carry their lunches around in a regular lunch box, not to mention school kids...

I think these guys are just going out of their way to find things to strike over absolutely ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I brought my lunch to work today in a dealz plastic bag.

Expect EOTR to post shortly defending this shìte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

This stuff boils my piss!! SIPTU must have nothing better to do, as said **** stir to keep themselves relevant, I am all for the concept of Unions but they show their true colours in the Economic good times.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

They need Ads by Google's electric lunchbox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Unbelievable! Front line workers can do 12 hours with no lunch at all. We called siptu for an actual issue and they were 'too busy' to come out to us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I haven't seen that poster around much since they were on the losing side of the abortion referendum.

they seem to be in the celebrity big brother thread of all places..if we all keep really quiet he mightn't notice this thread..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Surely that's a pisstake? My lunch AND my dinner (will be working a very long shift today) are sitting right beside me here, in cooler bags.
    But then, I'm just an ordinary, university-educated person in a business-critical position in a private company, not someone who walked in off the street into a public service-type of job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I used to work in a swimming pool. I kept my lunch in a cooler bag, using a frozen juice box as an ice pack. By the time lunch rolled around my food was cool, and the juice box no more melted than a slush puppy; in constant 32C heat.

This is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

"No need to defend. The matter is not ridiculous. The drivers deserve to have their lunch kept at optimum temperatures. 5 extra drivers would be 5 less people on the dole."

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

2smiggy wrote: »
    apparently cooler bags not good enough, SIPTU running a risk assessment on them. They seem to work well enough for any normal person that drives for a living. Are SIPTU running out of things to complain about to justify their existence ?
    This particular case might be dodgy, but SIPTU do good work to help and protect their members. I'm a member, and while I don't like paying €5 a week, they do a decent job on negotiating wage increases and looking after members who have a dispute in work. I've never gone on strike in 22 years of full time employment and hope I never have to.

It's usually non-union members or management-types who are constantly whinging about unions here and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This particular case might be dodgy, but SIPTU do good work to help and protect their members. I'm a member, and while I don't like paying €5 a week, they do a decent job on negotiating wage increases and looking after members who have a dispute in work. I've never gone on strike in 22 years of full time employment and hope I never have to.

It's usually non-union members or management-types who are constantly whinging about unions here and elsewhere.

Do you think this is the type of issue that SIPTU should be working on? Do you think the luas drivers have a genuine grievance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

This horseshít on the same day that it's announced that driverless buses will begin to be trialed in Dublin next week.

The clock is ticking for these clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Citizen Smith will be up out of the bed after lunch and will reply to all your comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

But it this type of abject stupidity that makes unions a laughing stock.

On a level of stupidity, this was totally off the scale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m a SIPTU member we had a terrible experience with them.

If your not big numbers and don’t have an essential high profile service to hold to ransom then they have no interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

my point being is this is what the Unions were set up for ? this is ridiculous in my opinion. They just said on the radio there that SIPTU thinks the members will reject the cooler bags (i can't believe i'm typing this) and strike action could be on the way :mad:

Should have got rid of them last time

• Advertisement

They clearly need electric lunchboxes

This horseshon the same day that it's announced that driverless buses will begin to be trialed in Dublin next week.

The clock is ticking for these clowns.

had not heard that

link

if they can have driverless busses , I'd imagine the luas would be much more straight forward to implement

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Thought it was April 1st when I heard this on the news a few mins ago. I had to ****e in a field at work once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Just eat your f*cking lunch and do your f*cking job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. Won't be a problem for the robot drivers in a few years.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

gimli2112 wrote: »
    If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. Won't be a problem for the robot drivers in a few years.

"SIPTU demand oil tanks for robot drivers' lunch"

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

gimli2112 wrote: »

Sooner the better, we drastically need robots to replace these moaning gits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This seems like one of those things that should have got mentioned in a meeting with nothing coming of it, as in ‘it’s a pain having lunch in a different depot to where I started’ ‘ sorry about that it’s the only way we can make it work’ ‘ah it’s grand I’ll get a chiller bag or something’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I was reading that article and kept waiting for a more serious issue to be at the heart of the dispute but no, it is just as petty and ridiculous as it seems. They should just be glad they are so well paid for their job ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I'm going to ask a really dumb question now - what do the morons at SIPTU actually want ?

Better cool bags ? Taxis to the greasy spoon of the driver's choice ? Deliveroo from Marco Pierre White's gaff on Dawson Street ????

My lunch is in a plazzy bag under the desk. Striking over that ? Knobheads.

If you're a spare minute - Google the union shop steward from Carry On At Your Convenience. That's SIPTU et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I'm going to ask a really dumb question now - what do the morons at SIPTU actually want ?

Apparently they want extra drivers hired (at a cost of 200000 I think I heard on the news) so the other ones can travel to wherever it is they want to have lunch....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Actually. Nbru haven't striked over lunches. This is a shot in the foot of those that argue privatizing will reduce the impact of strikes by Dublin bus and Irish rail. As they've nothing to do with this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Shenshen wrote: »
    Surely that's a pisstake? My lunch AND my dinner (will be working a very long shift today) are sitting right beside me here, in cooler bags.
    But then, I'm just an ordinary, university-educated person in a business-critical position in a private company, not someone who walked in off the street into a public service-type of job.

Luas is operated privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Actually. Nbru haven't striked over lunches. This is a shot in the foot of those that argue privatizing will reduce the impact of strikes by Dublin bus and Irish rail. As they've nothing to do with this.

Eh. Ok. Don't know why you quoted me though. I didn't mention NBRU. Just said that there are some people who will defend any industrial action, no matter how ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Eh. Ok. Don't know why you quoted me though. I didn't mention NBRU. Just said that there are some people who will defend any union or industrial action, no matter how ridiculous.

Nbru are the ones that get a lot of bad press regarding Dublin bus and Irish rail strikes. Those you said who'll defend it, primarily spoke up about those issues. This lunch box debacle has nothing to do with them. But the NBRU seem to be the posterboys for union discontent. So I reckoned was important to relate your remarks to their lack of involvement. Its not public service or a public service union pushing this dispute.

OSI wrote: »
    words

They aren't though.

wexie wrote: »
    Apparently they want extra drivers hired (at a cost of 200000 I think I heard on the news) so the other ones can travel to wherever it is they want to have lunch....

So not for passengers ? (Veal like again on the red line today).

Mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Keyzer wrote: »
    Sooner the better, we drastically need robots to replace these moaning gits.

Maybe we could make them into Cybermen!

Better cool bags ? Taxis to the greasy spoon of the driver's choice ? Deliveroo from Marco Pierre White's gaff on Dawson Street ????

My lunch is in a plazzy bag under the desk. Striking over that ? Knobheads.

If you're a spare minute - Google the union shop steward from Carry On At Your Convenience. That's SIPTU et al.

think they are using it as an excuse to get 5 new drivers. Which would mean less work for everyone (at the same pay of course) and the drivers won't , god forbid, have to carry their lunches with them.

• Advertisement

Luas is operated privately.

That's why I said "public service-type", not public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

That's why I said "public service-type", not public service.

Ah yes.
    But don't you know because it could be interpreted a way that is wrong, it means everything else you said is wrong.
    You entire post and all points in it can be dismissed and that means the drivers are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Public service type job ????? WTF are you on about. Its a private company, just the same as the one you claim to work for. What's wrong ? 'Front Line Customer Support Facilitator' not quite the title you thought you thought your University education would drop in your lap :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Public service type job ????? WTF are you on about.:

I presume it means like public servants who aren't that highly educated, in secure jobs, that expect pay and conditions far above what the average worker gets or is reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

im assuming these scum bags want more pay! They are already massively over paid! See this is the problem when one side is a business, that has to be seen as getting "value" or doing something for its members, no matter how ludicrous. Imagine the pay these people with no qualifications would be on , if they didnt have their golden Luas job, its comedy! They know where the door to a likely fifty percent pay reduction is, if they dont like pushing a single level forwards and backwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

wexie wrote: »

Doubt that's what they actually want - I'd be 99% certain that the desired outcome is to 'settle' with a 'disturbance' payoff to the current drivers (i.e. a pay rise). Union negotiations 101.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I don't know how they could file this grievance and not feel embarrassed.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Public service type job ????? WTF are you on about. Its a private company, just the same as the one you claim to work for. What's wrong ? 'Front Line Customer Support Facilitator' not quite the title you thought you thought your University education would drop in your lap :pac::pac::pac:

Business Systems Automation, sweetheart - and a privately operated public service remains a public service. Particularly a monopoly type one like the Luas.

Business Systems Automation, sweetheart - a privately operated public service remains a public service.

Sorry I read that as "automaton" and thought how cool!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Let them strike.
    It will just encourage Transdev to automate the entire system and then these guys can sit on the dole queue.
    I won’t even mind my taxes going for their dole as it will teach them a lesson in how good they had it and still took the piss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement