Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas drivers and their lunch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sorry I read that as "automaton" and thought how cool!!!!!!

Well... you could say I make digital automatons :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pedro K wrote: »
    There will be people on this thread, soon enough, that will defend this to the hilt, as they defend, and often support, any industrial action, no matter how ridiculous it is.

I defended their right to utilise their leverage the last time but this is a complete non issue that it would be ridiculous to strike over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wow, just wow.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Shenshen wrote: »
    Business Systems Automation, sweetheart - and a privately operated public service remains a public service. Particularly a monopoly type one like the Luas.

Meh, you don't seem so busy, pop out and buy yourself some sweeties for your lunch ;);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Meh, you don't seem so busy, pop out and buy yourself some sweeties for your lunch ;);)

Yeah I discovered from the Cash thread Shenshen - if you have a job and a minute to post on Boards, you're lower than a snake's wedding tackle.

Yeah I discovered from the Cash thread Shenshen - if you have a job and a minute to post on Boards, you're lower than a snake's wedding tackle.

You should have become a Luas driver, problem solved ;)

Having my lunch right now - the salad that had been sitting in my cooler bag on my desk since 7.30 this morning.

Having my lunch right now - the salad that had been sitting in my cooler bag on my desk since 7.30 this morning.

Enjoy :) Hope its not as bitter as most on here ;)

Enjoy :) Hope its not as bitter as most on here ;)

Never met a salad on here, so I can't compare. But mine is mostly tomatoes, broccoli, olives and feta, so mostly sweet and salty. No bitterness at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They aren't though.

Considered themselves comparable for the purposes of wage claims in line with that of Semi-States DB and IR though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Get rid of them all and give the jobs to people who actually want to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

There has to be something else behind this.
    The only thing I can think of is Broombridge. They don’t want to eat their fodder in Broombridge.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Where's my Burrito!?

Where's my Burrito!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm not sure if the cool bags will work, but has anyone considered compensating them financially for the inconvenience? I doubt the drivers would accept it, but it could be worth trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

blue note wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the cool bags will work, but has anyone considered compensating them financially for the inconvenience? I doubt the drivers would accept it, but it could be worth trying.

What inconvenience would that be? Like having to use a cooler bag? or (god forbid) a lunch box?

• Advertisement

Never met a salad on here, so I can't compare. But mine is mostly tomatoes, broccoli, olives and feta, so mostly sweet and salty. No bitterness at all.

I thought with a 'University Education' you'd know what I meant but the fact you are eating olives says it all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

financial compensation for what inconvenience? zero inconvenience as far as I see. Snowflakes backed up by Siptu. Whats next, cheap toilet paper is too rough on the backside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

wexie wrote: »
    What inconvenience would that be? Like having to use a cooler bag? or (god forbid) a lunch box?
    TheShow wrote: »
    financial compensation for what inconvenience? zero inconvenience as far as I see. Snowflakes backed up by Siptu. Whats next, cheap toilet paper is too rough on the backside?

I think perhaps the sarcasm in bluenotes post was missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Pedro K wrote: »
    There will be people on this thread, soon enough, that will defend this to the hilt, as they defend, and often support, any industrial action, no matter how ridiculous it is.

I can think of a few for which this will be the end of the road ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Stick a mini fridge in the luas cab. Problem solved.
    Until they want a microwave and grill for heating their lunch. Oh and a kettle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I think perhaps the sarcasm in bluenotes post was missed.

People are just dying for someone to come on here in support of the drivers and their grievance. It must be killing people that no-one thinks this is remotely sane.

That said, the depressing thing is even though it's a completely bullsh1t claim that everyone can see, they'll probably get something out of this. My guess is it will be a lunch allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

People are just dying for someone to come on here in support of the drivers and their grievance. It must be killing people that no-one thinks this is remotely sane.

That said, the depressing thing is even though it's a completely bullsh1t claim that everyone can see, they'll probably get something out of this. My guess is it will be a lunch allowance.

Most of them probably buy their lunches already too. Seems to be norm for people these days.

SIPTU shouldn't be supporting this. It makes a mockery of the idea of unions and weakens their standing in society.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

The union bashers are out in force! Why don't you put yourselves in the shoes of the poor Luas drivers. Hopefully they won't need to strike for what is a basic human right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Balanadan wrote: »
    The union bashers are out in force! Why don't you put yourselves in the shoes of the poor Luas drivers. Hopefully they won't need to strike for what is a basic human right.

And what is that basic human right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Let them eat cake.."!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't even want to know the finer details of this, after their previous antics my opinion of Luas drivers couldn't get any lower anyway. **** each and every one of them, if ever I heard they were being laid off en masse I would buy a cake and have a party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

TheShow wrote: »
    You’re giving them more ideas. This is what years of spineless employers who won’t stand up to this behavior gets you. The union behavior is learned ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Odelay wrote: »
    And what is that basic human right?

The basic human right to not have to travel to the other end of the Luas line to eat lunch obviously.

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

article 23 subsection 4 paragraph bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Bunch of ****ing fairys.

Love to see some these pricks go out do a actual driving related job like truck driver for example see what kinda condition s some of them work under! For a lot less money as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

good on them. they have an issue and they are doing something about it. if more people stood up and did something about things they have a problem with the world would be a much better place.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Graces7 wrote: »
    "Let them eat cake.."!

At room-temperature? Are you mad.... :D

Absolute joke.

Can barely believe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

SIPTU have really jumped the shark this time. It was bad enough the LUAS button pushers got away with their last act of blackmail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

SIPTU have really jumped the shark this time. It was bad enough the LUAS button pushers got away with their last act of blackmail.

But wha abow the wuuurkers? Where's Paul Muuuurfi when you need him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be fair though.... I doubt the staff are going to go strike over lunch breaks lol. Would be rather silly to be losing money over that! There probably is a legitimate reason for it though some of these shifts are long and let's face it you don't want to be relying on Mcdonalds or the local chippy every day for a proper meal!

Seems like a slow news day thing, just like "Forever Home" cash in the other thread, until they actually bother voting to strike it's just pointless moaning right now.

Maybe the media should put out some more President Troll stories he's a great tool to get a cheap laugh sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Had to do a double take thought it was waterford whispers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Graces7 wrote: »
    "Let them eat cake.."!
    What hardship are they being forced to endure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What hardship are they being forced to endure?

they get fierce carpal tunnel from moving that lever forwards AND backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have always said SIPTU are a shower of jokers, and the correct, moral stance on anything is generally the opposite of their stance.

I say this as a long time trade union member (a sane union, not SIPTU).

• Advertisement

Owl. wrote: »
    Thought it was April 1st when I heard this on the news a few mins ago. I had to ****e in a field at work once.

Hello Owl, this is your boss speaking. I need you to ****e in the field. There's a good fella, chop chop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This horseshít on the same day that it's announced that driverless buses will begin to be trialed in Dublin next week.

The clock is ticking for these clowns.

Cant wait to see their useless whiney arses booted out the door

I hope Luas give away free cool bags to their followers on Facebook and Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Has it not occurred to anybody that the media reporting here might not be 100% factual.

I have seen them lie and twist things before.
    I have not heard from SIPTU on any Luas drivers on this thread and with people calling that useless whiney arses I doubt we will.

This story does not ring true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If the Luas drivers get a concession on this you cn bet your last Euro that the Dublin Bus drivers will be next, then the DART, then Bus Eireann, with Irish Rail coming over the hill.

They'll dress it up as something else, but they just want more cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

KevRossi wrote: »
    If the Luas drivers get a concession on this you cn bet your last Euro that the Dublin Bus drivers will be next, then the DART, then Bus Eireann, with Irish Rail coming over the hill.

What about the newbies in Go-Ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Has it not occurred to anybody that the media reporting here might not be 100% factual.

I have not heard from SIPTU on any Luas drivers on this thread and with people calling that useless whiney arses I doubt we will.

The Examiner have quotes directly from the SIPTU Rep, as do other papers reporting in this
    SIPTU Transport Sector Organiser, John Murphy warned on Thursday that if not resolved, the dispute has the potential to bring a ballot for industrial action by drivers at the company.

Mr Murphy sounded his warning after forecasting that a drivers’ ballot to be held in the next two weeks on Labour Court proposals aimed at resolving the dispute will be rejected by SIPTU members.

In the Labour Court recommendation, Kevin Foley of the Labour Court has stated that the court “would not normally concern itself with the functioning of cooler bags” but has recommended that Transdev carry out a risk assessment of the cooler bags in question "and commit to ensuring that the cooler bags are capable of transporting drivers’ packed lunches safely from one depot to another".

In response, Mr Murphy said: “We don’t believe that the cooler bags will keep packed lunches fresh as they will be three to four hours in a warm cab. If the company could prove a cooler bag could resolve the issue it would have done so before now. I don’t believe that the cooler bags are practical.”

Mr Murphy said there has been a poor take up by drivers on the cooler bags “and little or no drivers are using the cooler bags”.

Mr Murphy said that members “are a bit away from a ballot for industrial action. After the vote on the Labour Court proposals, we would go back directly to the company and try to have this resolved”.

The Labour Court report on the row stated that SIPTU Luas drivers affected are working new rosters under protest in light of the dispute.

In order to resolve the dispute, Mr Murphy said that SIPTU wants all drivers on the Green Line to have their lunch break at the Sandyford depot.

Feel free to apologise for your vicious and unfounded attack on the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

KevRossi wrote: »

the dart is irish rail

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

noodler wrote: »
    Feel free to apologise for your vicious and unfounded attack on the media.

:D Vicious attack?

I speculated that the report might not be 100% true.

I agree anyway these cooler bags are an insult to the drivers Lobster Thermador
    and Smoked Salmon need to be kept at a sufficiently low temperature or they are ruined.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What percentage of workers bring sandwiches to work these days?

I’m going to assume it’s 100% of Luas drivers, but outside of that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement