Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas drivers and their lunch

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Surely if you are driving Luas all day you are going from A to B, once an hour or so. Could you not pop your lunch into the fridge the first time you reach B so it has a few hours to chill in advance of your having lunch at B?

There is a fridge in Bloombridge, your man on the radio confirmed it yesterday.

Drivers don’t want other people eating their lunches while they’re out driving trams :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

true, but like farming, a jcb equals less jobs over all.
    the question when automation comes in full is whether the tax take from less jobs with a higher wage will be able to add up to an amount that will be able to run what will be a very different country, where a lot more people then now will possibly need some sort of support from the state benefits system.

Or, here's a thought, our labour force are mature and intelligent enough to retrain. As per all the previous generations of automation (it's been happening since the 19th century).

the question when automation comes in full is whether the tax take from less jobs with a higher wage will be able to add up to an amount that will be able to run what will be a very different country, where a lot more people then now will possibly need some sort of support from the state benefits system.

Tax the robots. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Why don't they just install mini fridges in each driver cab on the Luas eh?

Problem solved tbh. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I guess we could just cut your dole payments to make it up to those that lost their jobs!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Or, here's a thought, our labour force are mature and intelligent enough to retrain. As per all the previous generations of automation (it's been happening since the 19th century).

automation today is likely to remove a hell of a lot more jobs then mechanism did in the past. the whole point of automation is to remove staffing and other costs.
    fxotoole wrote: »
    Tax the robots. Problem solved.

robots won't get paid. they are robots after all.
    frag420 wrote: »
    I guess we could just cut your dole payments to make it up to those that lost their jobs!?

given i' don't receive such payments, then that wouldn't be possible.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

automation today is likely to remove a hell of a lot more jobs then mechanism did in the past. the whole point of automation is to remove staffing and other costs.

The combined harvester got rid of whole swathes of work, guess what, there's still plenty of work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Not an Asimov fan then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

zD0rvew.png

Transdev crumpled last time. Now SIPTU know they're a soft touch. Won't stop until Luas drivers are on 200k with 50% time off to work a 2nd "private" jobbie.

ED E wrote: »
    zD0rvew.png

Transdev crumpled last time. Now SIPTU know they're a soft touch. Won't stop until Luas drivers are on 200k with 50% time off to work a 2nd "private" jobbie.

But but but who will then push the lever forward and ring the bell ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

🖕

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

And his lunch is sorted!!

Genius sir!!

And his lunch is sorted!!

Genius sir!!

We can all rest easy now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

FTA69 wrote: »
    Unite.

And also a smaller Latin American union in London called United Voices of the World, look them up they're great.

I always found the “no poaching” rules between unions bizarre. If you alone or maybe all your colleagues are unhappy with the current union sure ye can resign from the union but another union might not take ye on

Whether that’s an official rule or an unwritten custom I don’t know but it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2smiggy wrote: »
    if they strike, as they are threatening to do, it would be affect a lot of people surely ? all over having to use a cool bag for their lunch ...

You see this is where unions are a disaster.

If they didn't exist, the LUAS drivers would realise that using cooler bags is perfectly normal and fine (many of us and our kids do it daily) - its just the fact that SIPTU is there with its highly paid top man, and he will fight any phoney baloney argument on their behalf to keep himself in his huge wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Transdev crumpled last time.

they didn't. they decided after a period of negotiation that the staff deserved a better deal.
    Now SIPTU know they're a soft touch. Won't stop until Luas drivers are on 200k with 50% time off to work a 2nd "private" jobbie.

nope. this is hyperbole/scaremongering. take your pick. a luas driver on 200k in the first place, never mind for less work, will not be happening.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

they didn't. they decided after a period of negotiation that the staff deserved a better deal.

nope. this is hyperbole/scaremongering. take your pick. a luas driver on 200k in the first place, never mind for less work, will not be happening.

Nope, you're wrong. That will happen one day.

Go on, prove me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

NIMAN wrote: »
    You see this is where unions are a disaster.

If they didn't exist, the LUAS drivers would realise that using cooler bags is perfectly normal and fine (many of us and our kids do it daily) - its just the fact that SIPTU is there with its highly paid top man, and he will fight any phoney baloney argument on their behalf to keep himself in his huge wage.

Exactly. How there hasn't been a movement within SIPTU yet to force the clowns in charge to justify their salaries is beyond me

they decided after a period of negotiation that the staff deserved a better deal.

To paraphrase the Bard, A pile of dog poo by any other name would smell as foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

zD0rvew.png

This is correct

“Tax the robots” means tax corporations for every robot that “works” for them. It’s a concept that economists have suggested as a way to adapt to an automated economy. It would pay for social welfare for the people whom have been put out of work by automation, until they retrain or find an alternative work.

Edit: here’s a link:

https://qz.com/911968/bill-gates-the-robot-that-takes-your-job-should-pay-taxes/

The EU have even debated/considered it apparently

Advertisement