Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming Build for Crossover 34U100

Options
  • 31-08-2018 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

It's time to finally upgrade/replace my old gaming PC. Thread for my current build is here.
    In summary, i5 3570k, ASRock Z77, 8GB DDR3, 1600 MHz, Samsung 830 SSD.
    The only changes to that PC so far have been the graphics card & PSU. I'm currently using an AMD R9 380 Nitro 4GB.

1.What is your budget? [€1000 but flexible up and down]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming, mainly play CS:GO]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Yes, current build above]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No, I recently bought a Crossover 34U100, 34" Ultrawide, 3440x1440 144z Monitor [URL="https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crossover-34U100-Game-Monitor-3440x1440-QHD-Curved-R1800-21-9-AntiGlare-DP-HDMI/292241923220?epid=18019367228&hash=item440af9dc94:g:-DUAAOSwt5hYig30"]link[/URL]]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Any]

9. When are you purchasing? [No immediate need, but aiming for September]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin]

I know nVidia cards are more popular, but should I stick with AMD to take advantage of Freesync?

Also CSGO is an old game and I know I don't need a new machine, but I'm not achieving a constant 100+ fps at the moment, and it's been nearly 6 years so I want a new machine :)

As always your help and input is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You should be achieving well over 100fps in CSGO, my rig with lesser cpu easily achieves well over over 144 frames on my 1440 144hz monitor constant, something not right there.
    Im only using an i52500K and a gtx970, old spec at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dcully wrote: »
    You should be achieving well over 100fps in CSGO, my rig with lesser cpu easily achieves well over over 144 frames on my 1440 144hz monitor constant, something not right there.

His weak spot is the gpu, way slower than your 970, and he's running at higher resolution.

Something like an Rx580 would be a major upgrade, 3570k still fine for csgo @144hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Dcully wrote: »

I do get over 100 fps, but it's not constant, depending on action, smokes etc I can drop below.
    His weak spot is the gpu, way slower than your 970, and he's running at higher resolution.

Something like an Rx580 would be a major upgrade, 3570k still fine for csgo @144hz.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-580-vs-AMD-R9-380/3923vs3482

This suggests that the RX580 would be 56% gain, but below it mentions 16% gain for CSGO. Are those figures to be trusted?

Also any particular 580 you'd recommend?

Thanks to both for feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Also any particular 580 you'd recommend?

Thanks to both for feedback.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-04/radeon-rx-580-570-test/2/

Asus ROG Strix has the best cooler hands-down, followed by MSI Gaming X.
    The rest of the coolers will still keep it under 80C (except for the reference "blower").

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-03/fortnite-pubg-overwatch-benchmarks-mittelklasse/2/
    RX 580 should get you up to 60% more fps, assuming your CPU doesn't bottleneck (might be worth checking if your CPU is throttling in-game BTW).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.computerbase.de/2017-04/radeon-rx-580-570-test/2/

Asus ROG Strix has the best cooler hands-down, followed by MSI Gaming X.
    The rest of the coolers will still keep it under 80C (except for the reference "blower").

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-03/fortnite-pubg-overwatch-benchmarks-mittelklasse/2/
    RX 580 should get you up to 60% more fps, assuming your CPU doesn't bottleneck (might be worth checking if your CPU is throttling in-game BTW).

I have a feeling you could be right about the throttling. I'll look into that and come back. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The RX580 is a lot faster than just 16%. The issue is there, you've no idea what CPU's the people in those tests are using. It's likely that their CPU's are limiting them rather than the GPU.

EG if you had an old i5 + r9 380 and the game was running at 120fps, upgrading to a card twice as powerful might only show a 10-20fps increase as the 150fps could be the ceiling of the processor in that particular game.

Assuming your 3570K is overclocked especially, I can't see how it would really limit an RX580 in CS GO at 3440x1400 stable 144fps.

Reviving this thread. Given our current isolation, I'm finally going to do this upgrade, also with HL Alyx in mind.

Thinking B450 Ryzen 3600 build, not sure on graphics card, my monitor does have Freesync.

Any advice from the community experts?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

MSI B450 tomahawk max for the board. Graphics card RX 5700/5700xt.

That's what I went with anyway. Solid performance with plenty of upgrade potential down the line although I'm not sure if it's powerful enough for VR and HL Alyx. You would want to check benchmarks for that.

AMD seem to have sorted their drivers out as well but if you prefer Nvidia they also support some freesync monitors now as well. Check compatibility.

-Edit- Just seen you had a 3440x1440/144hz monitor. That thing is demanding. Probably beyond the scope of a 5700 unless you don't mind turning down settings quite a bit to reach high frame rates at that resolution. At least for newer games. It will be fine for the likes of CS-GO. Prices on most items seem to have gone up over the last month as well.

BloodBath wrote: »
    MSI B450 tomahawk max for the board. Graphics card RX 5700/5700xt.

That's what I went with anyway. Solid performance with plenty of upgrade potential down the line although I'm not sure if it's powerful enough for VR and HL Alyx. You would want to check benchmarks for that.

AMD seem to have sorted their drivers out as well but if you prefer Nvidia they also support some freesync monitors now as well. Check compatibility.

-Edit- Just seen you had a 3440x1440/144hz monitor. That thing is demanding. Probably beyond the scope of a 5700 unless you don't mind turning down settings quite a bit to reach high frame rates at that resolution. At least for newer games. It will be fine for the likes of CS-GO. Prices on most items seem to have gone up over the last month as well.

My monitor is capped at 3440x1440 @100 or 2560x1080 @144. Happy to turn the settings down for new titles.

According to a reddit post I found, Freesync on my monitor will work with nVidia. I'm going to try get a built together this evening.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah 3440x1440 100hz is a bitch. I have to play BF5 (a 2018 game) at medium settings to get 85-100fps. Depends on the games but I find a fair few of the more intensive titles I'm constantly having to lower settings, more so than I would like really (but no way I'm buying a 2080ti)

• Advertisement

I've put together a build using advice from other threads. Anything I've missed or other suggestions? Will pull the trigger if it's good to go.

Amazon.co.uk
    HDD: Crucial CT1000P1SSD8 P1 1 TB £101
    PSU:Corsair CP-9020133-UK TX550M 550 W 80+ Gold Power Supply Unit, Black £65
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO £23

CCL Online
    Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AMD Socket AM4 £105
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A D-RGB Gaming Case - White £84

Aria PC
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 £129
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz Memory - White £76

Is this a good card to buy? Or any alternative suggestions around that price range?
    EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB KO GAMING £280 @ Scan

Many thanks!

The RTX 2060 KO is interesting - it's essentially a failed RTX 2080, so in games it's slightly worse than the regular 2060 (can't OC as much) however in compute/work loads it's amazing.

There is an RX 5700 XT for £300 on Amazon (Asus TUF X3) but the cooler is generally regarded as sub-par - follow this guide if you're willing to take the plunge:

The 5700 XT is however a faster card overall.

It's also only got 6gb of vram. New consoles are going to have 16gb with at least 12gb useable by the games.

Games will be using that memory capacity pretty soon. 6gb and even 8gb won't be enough for max settings in games in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Homelander wrote: »
    Yeah 3440x1440 100hz is a bitch. I have to play BF5 (a 2018 game) at medium settings to get 85-100fps. Depends on the games but I find a fair few of the more intensive titles I'm constantly having to lower settings, more so than I would like really (but no way I'm buying a 2080ti)

Meant to say here I have a 2070 Super as well.

It's also only got 6gb of vram. New consoles are going to have 16gb with at least 12gb useable by the games.

Games will be using that memory capacity pretty soon. 6gb and even 8gb won't be enough for max settings in games in the near future.

Eh, consoles & PCs have had 8Gb VRAM for years but you can turn settings down for the odd game that needs more than 4Gb.

Unless you're telling OP to buy €1300 RTX 2080 Ti :pac:

The RTX 2060 KO is interesting - it's essentially a failed RTX 2080, so in games it's slightly worse than the regular 2060 (can't OC as much) however in compute/work loads it's amazing.

There is an RX 5700 XT for £300 on Amazon (Asus TUF X3) but the cooler is generally regarded as sub-par - follow this guide if you're willing to take the plunge:

The 5700 XT is however a faster card overall.

Thanks for that. Based on those videos I will avoid both of those cards.

Does the rest of the build look okay?

What card would you go for if you were looking around the €300/350 mark?

Eh, consoles & PCs have had 8Gb VRAM for years but you can turn settings down for the odd game that needs more than 4Gb.

Unless you're telling OP to buy €1300 RTX 2080 Ti :pac:

Plenty of games need more than 4gb already. Some already using more than 8gb. Only recently did they have 8gb with the xbox 1 x and ps4 pro and games that are still on both gens tend to use the lowest common denominator which is 4-5gb. Most devs don't bother optimising for each format.

The new consoles will have plenty of exclusives that won't be on the previous gen that will use the full 12gb. I'd expect the next gen of gpus to come with at least 12-16gb of vram as standard in the high end.

More VRAM is an easy way of improving game graphics with 1 of the most noticeable things which is texture and shadow quality.

No I'm not telling him to get that. I'm telling him not to buy that 2060 over a 5700/5700xt. It's worse in every way.

5700/5700xt.

The RTX 2060 is the best card in this price segment - AMD RX 5700 is more expensive, while RX 5600 XT only performs around the same.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-ko/

Scan have the 2060 SC Ultra for £300 though: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-sc-ultra-gaming-6gb-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-1920-core-1365mhz-gpu-1755?utm_source=pc%20part%20picker&utm_medium=referral

That cooler would be quieter than the KO's but the die is TU-106 instead of TU-104.

The RTX 2060 is the best card in this price segment - AMD RX 5700 is more expensive, while RX 5600 XT only performs around the same.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-ko/

Scan have the 2060 SC Ultra for £300 though: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-sc-ultra-gaming-6gb-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-1920-core-1365mhz-gpu-1755?utm_source=pc%20part%20picker&utm_medium=referral

That cooler would be quieter than the KO's but the die is TU-106 instead of TU-104.

It's in the same price bracket as the 5700 and the 5700 beats it in practically every title as well as having 2gb of extra memory.

It's in the same price bracket as the 5700 and the 5700 beats it in practically every title as well as having 2gb of extra memory.

Find a 5700 under €350, none of that American or German pricing.
    It doesn't exist right now.

• Advertisement

Thank you both. I've order all the parts I linked above along with the 5700 from ccl.

I'll be sure to post back with pics and details once built (or asking questions when I get stuck mid build!)

Thanks again - looking forward to getting it now.

So everything arrived today and I got everything setup with out a hitch.

Until...

I tried to update the BIOS and now it won't post.

I followed MIS's instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

The LED flashed RED while flashing, but then stayed red for a long time. Maybe I rebooted before it finished? I did five it ten minutes. Either way it won't post now and I'm at a loss.

So frustrated at myself for trying to update then when I didn't need to.

I've tried to use the flash BIOS button again but it doesn't seem to respond at all anymore.

Any thoughts?!

So everything arrived today and I got everything setup with out a hitch.

Until...

I tried to update the BIOS and now it won't post.

I followed MIS's instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

The LED flashed RED while flashing, but then stayed red for a long time. Maybe I rebooted before it finished? I did five it ten minutes. Either way it won't post now and I'm at a loss.

So frustrated at myself for trying to update then when I didn't need to.

I've tried to use the flash BIOS button again but it doesn't seem to respond at all anymore.

Any thoughts?!

I don't have a jumper to reset the cmos, but I removed the cmos battery and put it back, still nothing.

The red CPU LED on the Mobo stays on after powering on which I'm pretty sure it shouldn't.

I've given up for the night.. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

Did you have it hooked up to a monitor while doing it? There's a visual progress bar for the update and the menu for choosing the new bios.

I'm always nervous as hell when updating a bios convinced there's going to be a power cut at the worst possible time.

I updated mine although I think the version that was on it was fairly new anyway.

Did you have it hooked up to a monitor while doing it? There's a visual progress bar for the update and the menu for choosing the new bios.

I'm always nervous as hell when updating a bios convinced there's going to be a power cut at the worst possible time.

I updated mine although I think the version that was on it was fairly new anyway.

I used the update bios physical button on the back of the PC, I don't think there is any visual progress bar, either way I didn't see it. Just flashing red light during the process that then went solid.

Is it possible to come back from this or how screwed am i now?

I'm not sure to be honest but it sounds bad. I used an option from the BIOS to flash which restarted the PC and ran a BIOS flash utility which gave me the option of selecting the new BIOS from the USB stick and than installed it from there showing me a progress bar for the install.

Have a look at this thread. Might be something useful for you there.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=174985.0

Spoke to MSI support today and I need to RMA it.

Lesson learned the hard way unfortunately.

Don't mess around with bios unless you absolutely know exactly what your doing.

All the excitement of the new build quickly turned to frustration!

Before I messed it all up I was my first impression was how quiet it was, esp compared to my current pc. Looking forward to round 2 of the build!

• Advertisement

Spoke to MSI support today and I need to RMA it.

Lesson learned the hard way unfortunately.

Don't mess around with bios unless you absolutely know exactly what your doing.

All the excitement of the new build quickly turned to frustration!

Before I messed it all up I was my first impression was how quiet it was, esp compared to my current pc. Looking forward to round 2 of the build!

That sucks man. You would think motherboard manufacturers would have some sort of safety mechanism against this by now. Some of the higher end ones I think have duel BIOS for recovery.

I hate learning the hard way but you won't make the same mistake again at least.

Better luck next time. Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement