Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster vs Cheetahs, Sat 1st Sep 5.15pm, Eir Sports

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They can't catch a cold out there, the error count must be enormous.

Well that sums it up right there.

Carbery really had to drag Munster over the line for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭budhabob

Good performance overall all things considered. Good handling, good pace, good opportunities for the new players to settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Was working in the ground but didnt see the game. Is it worth watching it now that im at home or should i just delete the recording?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Was working in the ground but didnt see the game. Is it worth watching it now that im at home or should i just delete the recording?

Delete the recording. It contains disturbing scenes of Joey Carbery playing for Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

John Ryan continues his shocking handling. I hope it's just rust, but again, last season he was knocking on at an alarming rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭budhabob

John Ryan continues his shocking handling. I hope it's just rust, but again, last season he was knocking on at an alarming rate.

It's something that's easy to work on. I think it's nerves as he lost his starting place, or at least I hope it is. Consistent run will sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I liked that Carbery nailed the basics in his cameo. Kept it simple, drew defenders and put others into space. Also kicked a great penalty into the corner from half way.

But I'll stop drawing inferences from a 20 minute run against a beaten, nakkered and disinterested Cheetahs side...........now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Plenty of positives to take from that. Cheetahs didn't look up to much, but they came out looking for a big physical affair - Botha was well up for that type of game :D They looked like they could do some damage out wide but we scrambled well. Great chase back and covering tackle from Daly.

Thought Cronin was excellent. Hopefully he gets a few games like that under his belt, could (and should on that outing) leapfrog into starting (and then bench behind Murray). JJ was also pretty sharp (aside from some misfiring off the tee) and Carbery looked nice and comfortable when he came on well - thought they linked up well together. Also liked Carbery slotting into 9 for a few phases towards the end. That's our SH woes sorted :D

TOD took a knock early and seemed to be checked on a couple of times through the game, but seems to have come away in one piece.

Happy with that start to the season anyways!

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I did think Cronin was super, ToD had a very good game and Botha looks like a great signing.

Have to stop myself being too hopeful and a lot of negatives could be put down to game-time. I loved that we were looking for offloads.. a bit like Leinster in the first half against the blues. On the flip-side, I thought we were slow to rucks on occasions and a better team would have had more turn-overs against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Cheetahs were poor so hard to guage what Munster were like, I was a bit disappointed with Botha last week at scrum time but he looked much better last night.

Shane Daly had a good game - that try saving tackle just into the 2nd half :-), as had JJ bar his place kicking. Mike Haley had a curates egg of a performance but overall I liked what I've seen of him so far.

Sweetnam deserved the MotM he was causing Cheetahs all sort of bother. Cronin had a good performance and Hart was much improved on last week but that wouldn't have been hard.
    Good to see Joey make his debut for Munster, I'm one of those who thinks he has a bit to learn at outhalf so I hope his signing pays off for himself and Munster but he's a class player.
    I think Goggin will be a tad disappointed with his performance, I certainly thought the game kind of passed him by, that opinion might change after I see it again on TV.

We'll have bigger tests this season but nice to get a 5 pointer and hold the opposition scoreless, though they did miss what should have been 6 points.

Where did King Carbery fit in if hanrahan stayed on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Where did King Carbery fit in if hanrahan stayed on?

He went to FB when he came on but then played at OH, they seemed to switch it up a bit depending on whether we were in attack or defence mode.

Iirc, Daly was subbed off, Haley went to the wing, Carbery to FB and JJ stayed at OH. After the restart then JJ and Joey switched about a fair bit. JJ continued kicking at goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

phog wrote: »
    He went to FB when he came on but then played at OH, they seemed to switch it up a bit depending on whether we were in attack or defence mode.

Iirc, Daly was subbed off, Haley went to the wing, Carbery to FB and JJ stayed at OH. After the restart then JJ and Joey switched about a fair bit. JJ continued kicking at goal.

Joey went straight to outhalf, went and took JJs spot for the restart, JJ moved forward to take Haley's position Who in turn went to the wing.

To me they only seemed to swap as the game naturally required it, IE JJ out of position so Joey covered back and JJ joining the line at first receiver. Every set peice it was Joey at 10, attack and defence.

• Advertisement

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Joey went straight to outhalf, went and took JJs spot for the restart, JJ moved forward to take Haley's position Who in turn went to the wing.

To me they only seemed to swap as the game naturally required it, IE JJ out of position so Joey covered back and JJ joining the line at first receiver. Every set peice it was Joey at 10, attack and defence.

When Carbery wasn't happy with the service he was getting at 9, he just said fcuk it and played 9 for a while and ye scored a try.

Leinster want him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

When Carbery wasn't happy with the service he was getting at 9, he just said fcuk it and played 9 for a while and ye scored a try.

Leinster want him back.

Fill out a 3 T Form :D

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We'll do you a deal.

If you give us Joey back, we'll take Keatley too, and get him put down.

It'll save you the hassle.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Any highlights around yet? Missed the game, and looked for them this morning but couldn't find them.

• Advertisement

Nice one, cheers.

Eir sport are class for highlights. Good to see Carbery getting such a cheer when coming on.

I was quite impressed with Connacht at the weekend, thought they did enough to win the game despite being under severe pressure at times and coming off second best in the set piece. Glasgow looked good and will offer a proper glimpse of where Munster are at this weekend.

Be interesting to see who Munster has back, a win away against a likely finalist this early in the season would do very nicely indeed.

On a side note, Hogg was electric - looks in very good form.

Daly made that try saving tackle at 12-0 up. The game might have tightened up if that try had been scored.

Daly made that try saving tackle at 12-0 up. The game might have tightened up if that try had been scored.

Have just seen it now. Reminded me of Sweetnam's tackle against Glasgow in the Axel game 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...On a side note, Hogg was electric - looks in very good form.

A fine player. Always was. Glasgow are serious contenders for the Pro 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

There's a 3rd commentator in the stands...!

He was the best too

Advertisement