Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term home insurance/selling your house

• 31-08-2018 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Hi.

So we have our house sale agreed and are moving out in early December. My home insurance policy is up for renewal but the broker said they cannot do a policy that will last three months - you need to pay for 12 months and then are fined quite heavily for ending it early. There also is no way to transfer your policy to a new house.

Does anyone know of a company which will insure a house for just 3 or 4 months? The house will be owner-occupied. Google yielded no results.

My policy has now expired so I'm in a bit of a rush!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Hi.

So we have our house sale agreed and are moving out in early December. My home insurance policy is up for renewal but the broker said they cannot do a policy that will last three months - you need to pay for 12 months and then are fined quite heavily for ending it early. There also is no way to transfer your policy to a new house.

Does anyone know of a company which will insure a house for just 3 or 4 months? The house will be owner-occupied. Google yielded no results.

My policy has now expired so I'm in a bit of a rush!

Thanks.

Get the 12 month policy and cancel mid way, no other way to do it effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If you go with the same insurer for the new property they may transfer it across or reduce the cancellation fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

If you go with the same insurer for the new property they may transfer it across or reduce the cancellation fee?

They said they don't do short term insurance and couldn't tell me what the cancellation fee would be....

Husband is saying to just leave the house uninsured for three months but I'm so nervous doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭caviardreams

They said they don't do short term insurance and couldn't tell me what the cancellation fee would be....

Husband is saying to just leave the house uninsured for three months but I'm so nervous doing it.

Do not do this! If you have a mortgage would they even accept this?

Did you specifically ask about transferring the policy to a new address though, so not short term insurance as such?
    Aviva for example seem to offer this option - see What happens if I move house under section 3 (I am sure other companies do too):
    http://www.aviva.ie/home-insurance/faq/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Look for cheapest insurance - liberty are good value at present

Insure for rebuilding cost not house value - 200k max if it's a 3bed or 4bed standard house.

Insure contents for 10% / 20k

There's a fixed cancelation formula and usually if you are insuring a new property at the same time, full credit is given for canceled period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

I got a 6 month policy from JLT, recommended to me by Sherry Fitzgerald.

see jlt.ie or pm me for specific contact details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Thanks guys, I shall contact Aviva and JLT and see what comes of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

CeilingFly wrote:
    There's a fixed cancelation formula and usually if you are insuring a new property at the same time, full credit is given for canceled period.

No it's not. If you move to a new insurer they will apply short term rates if cancelled in first year. It will be outlined in policy wording.
    Generally if you renew with same insurer they will calculate pro rata if you cancel with no claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

As someone whose parents house caught fire 3 weeks ago and was gutted do not even attempt to do this.....quite shocking your husband would suggest this to save a few quid. Madness in my opinion.
    Pay your policy by standing order.
    Take out an annual policy, say you want to pay monthly then cancel when no longer needed.
    I can see why your broker hasn't mentioned this as his payment will be clawed back but you can do this no problem.
    Talk of severe financial penalties etc. are just baloney really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Take out an annual policy, say you want to pay monthly then cancel when no longer needed.
    I can see why your broker hasn't mentioned this as his payment will be clawed back but you can do this no problem.
    Talk of severe financial penalties etc. are just baloney really

Do not stop direct debits on any insurance policy without agreement from your insurers. If you do, your insurers can only come off cover by invoking the cancellation clause under the policy. If they do this, you must declare an enforced cancellation to potential insurers and it will cause problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I can see why your broker hasn't mentioned this as his payment will be clawed back but you can do this no problem. Talk of severe financial penalties etc. are just baloney really
    Please! The broker is unlikely to be crying into his cornflakes over 80 euro commission.

Advertisement