Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,260 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Clocks change in the USA on 04 November. Currently New York is 4 hours behind us instead of the usual 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If they do have a referendum on this I hope the bloody wording is more clear than the last few. Longer evenings all the way for me, hate it getting dark in the middle of the afternoon, dont give a hoot about the morning as I'm going to work, afternoons I'd like to have time to get out and about in the brightness please.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Some people will be forever adjusting their clocks even if they did abandon DST, I mean just as all our tach catches up with Internet updating, all those radio controlled clocks of old will be still jumping back and forth forever until they are replaced

If they are radio controlled they will take whatever information the radio station sends. Why would the radio station send out the wrong time?

My watch is controlled by this radio station in Germany. It adjusted automatically overnight, and will do so or won't have to in future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCF77

If they are radio controlled they will take whatever information the radio station sends. Why would the radio station send out the wrong time?

My watch is controlled by this radio station in Germany. It adjusted automatically overnight, and will do so or won't have to in future.

Most of the early radio watches and clocks are dumb and the radio signal will continue to update them regardless of any Irish change, so they would have to turn off the signal itself and they not controlled by us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

god's toy wrote: »
    Most of the early radio watches and clocks are dumb and the radio signal will continue to update them regardless of any Irish change, so they would have to turn off the signal itself and they not controlled by us.

You've no idea what you're shíteing on about do you?

You've no idea what you're shíteing on about do you?

Wow, no need to be an ass, really, I mean boards is turning into a pile of poo... but bank to the subject, Can they turn off the time signal for Ireland only if the uk kept it?

Radio controlled timepieces are not designed for use in only one time zone. On my watch part of the set up process is to choose the time zone. For this I used London, but in future I could use Azores, Paris or Athens or whatever matches the time zone in Ireland. Ireland is unlikely to be in a zone exclusive only to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

my 2 radio controlled clocks never changed at 2am - was quite surprised when I looked at it at 2am I thought it was going to automatically fall back to 1am but they didnt. the little wireless symbol was lit too- they did overnight though , I couldnt tell you what time that happened, but when i woke up this morning it was on the 'right time'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Radio controlled timepieces are not designed for use in only one time zone. On my watch part of the set up process is to choose the time zone. For this I used London, but in future I could use Azores, Paris or Athens or whatever matches the time zone in Ireland. Ireland is unlikely to be in a zone exclusive only to us.

I think my radio controlled clocks can only get their times sychronised by Germany - cannot see anything in the settings to choose another country . - Didnt clocks years ago used to synchronise with Rugby, UK wasnt it?

• Advertisement

MSF Rugby relocated to Anthorn in Cumbria a few years back. It depends on the make of the watch or clock whether they will look for a signal from Germany or England in Europe. The same timepieces will pick up other radio stations if they are outside Europe, e.g. USA or Australia.

My watch looks for a signal at 2 am every day and if that fails at 3 am and 4 am. And there is a button to make it look for the signal at any other time. In weak signal areas putting the watch beside a radio with a ferrite bar antenna will help.

I think my radio controlled clocks can only get their times sychronised by Germany - cannot see anything in the settings to choose another country . - Didnt clocks years ago used to synchronise with Rugby, UK wasnt it?

I've a radio controlled clock that has not settings to adjust at all, just picks up the signal and sets itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Annoyingly my car which has more than one CPU in it does not change the digital clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So it will not get bright till close on 10am in the west in the dead of winter.

Stupid idea.

The West of what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

lawred2 wrote: »
    The West of what?

I wonder, just throwing this out there, if he means the west of Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭micks_address

Annoyingly my car which has more than one CPU in it does not change the digital clock.

My 2009 Honda Accord with Sat nav used to auto change. My 172 Octavia with Sat nav didn't auto correct. Pure seista dab clock radio auto set itself. Is this change actually going away or is it only a recommendation at this point?

I wonder, just throwing this out there, if he means the west of Ireland?

And that makes it a stupid idea Europe wide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,883 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Akrasia wrote: »
    I absolutely hate DST!

Everyone says 'you get an extra hour in bed tomorrow'
    Yeah, a whole lot of good that is when the kids are up at 6am instead of 7am

It'll take them weeks to get into the new routine

Keep the clocks on summertime all year long. The daylight is much more useful in the evenings than the morning.

Completely agree with this. I'd rather have a brighter evening than leaving the house and the office in darkness.

And that makes it a stupid idea Europe wide?

Why should he talk about Europe wide in an Irish forum. It’s pretty stupid in other countries too, but we’re not there.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Completely agree with this. I'd rather have a brighter evening than leaving the house and the office in darkness.

Most people would but a late sunrise is fairly depressing. If I were to pick one though I’d pick a year long summertime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’d pick more light in the evenings when you can make some use of it. Kids are home at 4 and to have an hour of daylight is more beneficial than having it in the morning when they’re getting ready for school.

If we decided not to change things and stick with the ridiculous system of changing clocks twice a year why does it have to be October/March? Why not late November and early February which would make the most of available daylight hours. Changing the clocks in October is stupid, we don’t need extra daylight in the mornings as it’s bright enough but it being dark shortly after 5 is horrible and pointless when it doesn’t have to be!

Why should he talk about Europe wide in an Irish forum. It’s pretty stupid in other countries too, but we’re not there.

Stupid based on what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Id rather not to be honest. Seriously theres daylight till 11pm at night in the height of the summer I absolutely hate this expecially since if your on an early shift it doesnt cool down enough to sleep till well after midnight. Woulf rather winter aka the real midday and night be the normal time at least you dont have total darkness in the winter mornings till 10am. Thats why it was abandoned the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I vote we control the tilt of the planet so we have 6 hours dark 18 hours light through the year Obviously this would play havoc with the current agricultural set up but in a few years we'd have adapted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I would prefer our Wintertime all year long. I could not face darkness at 8.30am through the Winter months. I don't understand why people like the clock going forward at all. Lose an hour's sleep and the evenings are already getting brighter at that stage so no need to push it any further. I hate the clocks changing but if the option is Summertime all year then no thanks.

Stupid based on what?

Why don’t you give your own thoughts. Lots of questions, not all of them intelligent. No actual statement of your own opinion.

Infini wrote: »
    Id rather not to be honest. Seriously theres daylight till 11pm at night in the height of the summer I absolutely hate this expecially since if your on an early shift it doesnt cool down enough to sleep till well after midnight. Woulf rather winter aka the real midday and night be the normal time at least you dont have total darkness in the winter mornings till 10am. Thats why it was abandoned the last time.

Do people still think GMT is the real time for Ireland.

The actual proper compromise for one standard time for the year would be a resurrection of Dublin mean or Irish mean time.

Why don’t you give your own thoughts. Lots of questions, not all of them intelligent. No actual statement of your own opinion.

So no reason why it's 'stupid' across Europe then.

I prefer longer evenings personally. But it's not something I'd be too upset about either way

Why is it so stupid in your mind for many countries around Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Infini wrote: »

Don’t know where you’re living, but it’s not Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Do people still think GMT is the real time for Ireland.

The actual proper compromise for one standard time for the year would be a resurrection of Dublin mean or Irish mean time.

Dublin Mean Time would be fine if it was an option but its one or the other and Wintertime is the better option as it prevents extremes.

Advertisement