Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Sun startling to set already and it’s not even November. Stupid system.

Hopefully when the clock goes forward next March, it isn’t moved again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't really get what the problem with the current set up is. As somebody who works outdoors, all year summertime will be a disaster for the months of December and January, latest sunrise will be 9.40am, imagine a few weeks of overcast weather with that.
    All year wintertime isnt ideal either with sunrise just before 4am at the peak. With that set up it will have been dark at 6pm the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I’d pick more light in the evenings when you can make some use of it. Kids are home at 4 and to have an hour of daylight is more beneficial than having it in the morning when they’re getting ready for school.

If we decided not to change things and stick with the ridiculous system of changing clocks twice a year why does it have to be October/March? Why not late November and early February which would make the most of available daylight hours. Changing the clocks in October is stupid, we don’t need extra daylight in the mornings as it’s bright enough but it being dark shortly after 5 is horrible and pointless when it doesn’t have to be!

Agree with all of that, but preferably get rid of the time change altogether.
    Summertime all year ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

lawred2 wrote: »
    So no reason why it's 'stupid' across Europe then.

I prefer longer evenings personally. But it's not something I'd be too upset about either way

Why is it so stupid in your mind for many countries around Europe?

I’ve already given my reasons. But see below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

jvan wrote: »
    I don't really get what the problem with the current set up is. As somebody who works outdoors, all year summertime will be a disaster for the months of December and January, latest sunrise will be 9.40am, imagine a few weeks of overcast weather with that.
    All year wintertime isnt ideal either with sunrise just before 4am at the peak. With that set up it will have been dark at 6pm the last month.

The ideal is sticking with summer and winter time in Northern Europe but reducing the winter time to 2-3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

jvan wrote: »

The thing though is that the sun rise at 4am in the summer is the way it was before WW1. The problem with all this clock changing nonsense is that it throws people off. I dont like it myself because if you have to go to bed early during the summer it can be too warm and it doesnt cool down till well after sunset, its why I prefer permenant wintertime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

Agree, if they have to stick to one all year time I'd prefer wintertime.
    Also agree with a shorter winter time of 2 or 3 months if they wanted to have a 2 time format.

Its the all year summertime that I dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Just stop changing the time whatever they leave it on. It's the abrupt loss of daylight that depresses the fcuk out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Just stop changing the time whatever they leave it on. It's the abrupt loss of daylight that depresses the fcuk out of me.
    We aren't losing daylight, the brighter mornings are very welcome in my opinion.
    Most posters here here seem to want an extra hour of daylight in the evenings at the expense of darker mornings but for what? ...... A December bbq, a picnic, maybe cutting the grass and a bit of gardening, a dip in the sea after work? We don't need an extra hour of daylight in December because by the end of January its bright at 6pm anyway, the dark evenings only last a few weeks before theres a 'grand stretch'.
    Anyone who wants it pitch dark at 9am needs their head examined if you ask me.
    Sun startling to set already and it’s not even November. Stupid system.
    It isn't a 'system', at our latitude the loss of of daylight is astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The ideal is sticking with summer and winter time in Northern Europe but reducing the winter time to 2-3 months.

There's no doubt that it's too long. Late November to first week Feb would be ideal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

well that's a trivial list of the uses for daylight..

In the evenings while it's still bright, kids can go out to play.

When it's dark, they're basically locked indoors from dawn till dusk.

Who benefits from brighter mornings? Milkmen?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Could someone please explain to me the difference between year round Summer Time v year round Winter time. I am sorry to be so dense, but I am totally confused.

Also, getting up in the morning is miserable anyway, a bit of daylight doesn't help that if it is tipping down or cold and windy, and depending on your commute it's bright when you get to your destination anyway.

Far better to have a lighter evening IMO. Good for the soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Dark mornings are a complete misery. Unbearable. I love dark evenings. Cosy. I cannot believe people are willing to have darkness up to 9.40am.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dark mornings are a complete misery. Unbearable. I love dark evenings. Cosy. I cannot believe people are willing to have darkness up to 9.40am.

Why not? What are you doing, getting up, into the shower, breakfast, kids ready, drop off, go to work. Aaaagh there's the light now that's all done!

Dark evenings cosy?

I think it is an individual thing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Could someone please explain to me the difference between year round Summer Time v year round Winter time. I am sorry to be so dense, but I am totally confused.

Also, getting up in the morning is miserable anyway, a bit of daylight doesn't help that if it is tipping down or cold and windy, and depending on your commute it's bright when you get to your destination anyway.

Far better to have a lighter evening IMO. Good for the soul.

on the shortest day of the year, during dst wintertime the sunrise is at about 8:30am
    under 'summertime' that morning would have sunrise at 9:30am ish

but the evening sunshine would extend by an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Akrasia wrote: »
    well that's a trivial list of the uses for daylight..

In the evenings while it's still bright, kids can go out to play.

When it's dark, they're basically locked indoors from dawn till dusk.

Who benefits from brighter mornings? Milkmen?

Postmen as well , and as I know personally from a couple of years back, it is surprisingly difficult to read addresses on post in the dark .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I would be for keeping the fall back,spring forward as it is.it really is a question of when you would prefer the bit of light.mornings or evening?

i believe the problem if there is one is that the clock probably doesnt need to fall back for another 2weeks at least as we had a fairly good balance of day light up to yesterday.

also i believe it needs to spring forward maybe amonth earlier than it does as by end of January we will be not far off similar day light we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Akrasia wrote: »
    on the shortest day of the year, during dst wintertime the sunrise is at about 8:30am
    under 'summertime' that morning would have sunrise at 9:30am ish

but the evening sunshine would extend by an hour.

I think the extra hour of daylight in the morning in winter is next to useless. Nearly everyone is travelling to work, school or college and nobody engaging in any sort of leisure activity.

The extra hour in the afternoon / evening would be much more convenient in that people can actually avail of it, especially at the weekend in terms of sports events, go for a walk in the park, play golf or whatever. As it stands, the midwinter nights are very long with it getting dark at 4pm and people still awake and up and about for the next 7-8 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

What value does it bring anyway??

What would you end it on? When they go back or when they go forward??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭ForestFire

On the choice between summer and winter time, why not just split the difference?

Yes... there are already countries on time zones on the half hour, and they seem to do just fine.

The other thing I would be open to, is reducing the time we spend on winter time, as others suggested, we have 7 weeks before shortest day and 13 weeks after?

Why the hell do we need twice as much time to change back?

Why not 7/8 weeks on each side?

We are probably waiting for a bank holiday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

mrmorgan wrote: »

Permanent summer time is what they're thinking of ie. clocks would go forward next March and then stay forward (if they didn't go forward btw, we would be having sunrise at 4am in June in Dublin and sunset at 9pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Strazdas wrote: »
    Permanent summer time is what they're thinking of ie. clocks would go forward next March and then stay forward (if they didn't go forward btw, we would be having sunrise at 4am in June in Dublin and sunset at 9pm)

Makes sense really

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

March 2021 is the last time clocks will be adjusted if the plan goes ahead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-45995634
    Morocco has decided to scrap winter time and will instead keep its clocks at summer time, GMT+1, all year around.

The announcement comes less than two days before the clocks would have gone back by one hour on Sunday.

Avoiding the switch would save "an hour of natural light", Administrative Reform Minister Mohammed Ben Abdelkader told Maghreb Arabe Press.

The north African nation joins a number of others, mainly in Africa and Asia, which do not use daylight saving.

Technically speaking, they're staying on daylight saving time.

Could be very interesting on Monday morning to see how many didn't get the message to cancel the change. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

March 2021 is the last time clocks will be adjusted if the plan goes ahead.

so will be permanent summer time. - whats that then , darker evenings in the winter or lighter evenings in the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

We aren't losing daylight, the brighter mornings are very welcome in my opinion.
    Most posters here here seem to want an extra hour of daylight in the evenings at the expense of darker mornings but for what? ...... A December bbq, a picnic, maybe cutting the grass and a bit of gardening, a dip in the sea after work? We don't need an extra hour of daylight in December because by the end of January its bright at 6pm anyway, the dark evenings only last a few weeks before theres a 'grand stretch'.
    Anyone who wants it pitch dark at 9am needs their head examined if you ask me.

It isn't a 'system', at our latitude the loss of of daylight is astronomical.

In a rural area with no street lighting, darker evenings mean that I would have to go walk the dog by torchlight. The extra hour brightness might give me a chance to have that quick walk before it gets dark and we're all in for the cosiness after.

Also, for those of us who work in environments that are not very well lit up, the lack of brightness means that we don't really see daylight at all except for the minutes it takes to go from the car to the workplace in the morning.

Not good for mental health imo.
    Gets me very down in the dumps anyway, especially on really grey days.

mrmorgan wrote: »

Well, considering the fact that we're constrained by our geolocation to having very short days in the winter and long days in the summer, it really doesn't matter.

I remember the summertime experiment in the 1960s where the clocks remained on UTC+1 all year round, the dark mornings were very depressing.

Dark evenings are depressing as well, so we can't really win, regardless of how we "tweak" time.

so will be permanent summer time. - whats that then , darker evenings in the winter or lighter evenings in the winter?
    Dark for longer in the mornings & later sunset in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I remember the summertime experiment in the 1960s where the clocks remained on UTC+1 all year round, the dark mornings were very depressing.

It's dark in the mornings anyway, who cares if it's dark an extra hour. Most people are in work by that stage anyway.

An hour of extra brightness in the evenings would be far more beneficial to most people's mental well-being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

if it was experimented/tried before then in the 60's and never worked out , what makes people think it will work out these days?

Advertisement