Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

P_1 wrote: »
    How practical is that for business and the like mind? Most irish business ties in with the UK. I'm not sure how being 30 mins out of step would work with that. Throw in the curveball of dundalk being 30 minutes out of sync with newry time wise yet only 10km away distance wise

We are going to be 1 hour out part of the year anyway.

ForestFire wrote: »
    Spain and Portugal, 5 time zones across USA and Australia, including some on a 30min difference, plenty of examples where this is not an issue.

I'm sure Dundalk and Newry will be fine.
    There's nothing to say that GB & NI have to be on the same timezone, NI might follow if IRE changed zones.

Dark evenings in late March? The sun sets at 18.45 in late March before the clocks go forward so hardly dark?

Bring on the darker and colder mornings I say, it will be great fun to listen to all moaning and whinging about the gridlock in urban areas as inevitably those who leave their cars at home will no longer cycle, walk or get the bus. Most schools in my area are walking distance, the darker and colder mornings will mean these kids will be driven to school instead - even more traffic! :D
    I look forward to the chaos, we will get what we deserve!

That 6:45 is about when we change to summer time so March sunset changes from 6pm it nearly 8pm early April.

Instead, if we keep the changes and have a 3 month winter time sunset is at 7pm early March (and sunrise no different from early feb winter time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Have you not heard of torches/flashlights? Brilliant invention.

An Post would then be obliged to provide such equipment to every staff member on delivery duty . It would be interesting to find out what way they fund them .

Incidentally as to incident I mentioned wasn't an option as those small LED lights hadn't been invented at the time

We are going to be 1 hour out part of the year anyway.

I've no problem going back to the situation where we were out of sync as to clock changes with Europe till 1996 or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

I would be ok with Winter time if it was only for a couple of months. It's absolutely crazy that we stick with dark evenings until late March.
    5 months of the year!
    Dark evenings in late March? The sun sets at 18.45 in late March before the clocks go forward so hardly dark?

Bring on the darker and colder mornings I say, it will be great fun to listen to all moaning and whinging about the gridlock in urban areas as inevitably those who leave their cars at home will no longer cycle, walk or get the bus. Most schools in my area are walking distance, the darker and colder mornings will mean these kids will be driven to school instead - even more traffic! :D
    I look forward to the chaos, we will get what we deserve!
    18.45 is a short evening for a lot of office workers - I get home about 18.15, so it would be nice to see daylight in October, November, February and March, which I would with permanent summertime!
    Today, I will be leaving work in the dark and getting home in the dark, this morning it was bright when I left at 7.30, no need for it to be bright at that time, its very depressing not having time to go for a walk after work!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

SPDUB wrote: »
    An Post would then be obliged to provide such equipment to every staff member on delivery duty . It would be interesting to find out what way they fund them .

Incidentally as to incident I mentioned wasn't an option as those small LED lights hadn't been invented at the time

no, are you seriously telling me that each delivery member off their own back could not pop into a place like DEALZ shop and get a headlamp for themselves for 1.50euro , and expect it to be bought/ supplied by their bosses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

trixi001 wrote: »
    18.45 is a short evening for a lot of office workers - I get home about 18.15, so it would be nice to see daylight in October, November, February and March, which I would with permanent summertime!
    Today, I will be leaving work in the dark and getting home in the dark, this morning it was bright when I left at 7.30, no need for it to be bright at that time, its very depressing not having time to go for a walk after work!

You see, this is the greatest misunderstanding of this. It will be dark at 5.30 if we keep summer time in mid winter, it will be dark at 6.15pm also! As it is you will see daylight in the morning, by changing few of us will ever see daylight!

The penny really does need to drop with people that there will be no bright evenings in winter by keeping summertime. It just means both dark mornings and dark evenings for most, horrendous. It was already almost dark at 6.30 on Saturday before the clocks moved back!

However the bright mornings this weekend have been gorgeous. Yay!

Yes it won’t make much difference to most office workers in winter. Staying on winter time all year around will have a huge impact in late spring, early and late summer though.

There’s no good solution to removing the change. Which is why it’s a bad idea driven by self selecting malcontents on the web. Was anybody really massively put out by the change itself this weekend? On the other side people lose an hour but no real biggie either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

mollser wrote: »
    The penny really does need to drop with people that there will be no bright evenings in winter by keeping summertime. It just means both dark mornings and dark evenings for most, horrendous. It was already almost dark at 6.30 on Saturday before the clocks moved back!

There'll be plenty of bright evenings in November, February and March!

It'd be bright right now if the clocks hadn't gone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

You see, this is the greatest misunderstanding of this. It will be dark at 5.30 if we keep summer time in mid winter, it will be dark at 6.15pm also! As it is you will see daylight in the morning, by changing few of us will ever see daylight!

Thats why I didn't include December and January, as I know it will still be dark when I get home from work then!
    Last light today was 5.30, so if the time hadn't have changed I would have had 15/20 mins of some sort of light when I got home and I would have still be getting bright when have left home as first light was 6.45

So by changing the time, for anyone that leaves home after 7.45 they have gained no extra daylight today and lost that little time in the evening!

no, are you seriously telling me that each delivery member off their own back could not pop into a place like DEALZ shop and get a headlamp for themselves for 1.50euro , and expect it to be bought/ supplied by their bosses?

I'm sure they could but an employer is obligated to provide equipment that is necessary for the performance of your duty and if you can't read addresses because it is too dark then that would include lights

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

SPDUB wrote: »
    I'm sure they could but an employer is obligated to provide equipment that is necessary for the performance of your duty and if you can't read addresses because it is too dark then that would include lights

yeah technically ... but 1euro 50 though ! .....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,672 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The bright mornings are next to useless to anyone. What person is admiring the view and the scenery while they are driving to work or sitting on a bus or walking to work / school? They are usually still half asleep and under pressure to get to the place on time.....the daylight is not serving much purpose at all.

Well that was a sensational morning this morning! Beautiful bright sky and a pleasure to travel into work today!

Whilst you may think bright mornings are no use to anyone, they are of more use than both dark mornings and dark evenings.

Thats why I didn't include December and January, as I know it will still be dark when I get home from work then!
    Last light today was 5.30, so if the time hadn't have changed I would have had 15/20 mins of some sort of light when I got home and I would have still be getting bright when have left home as first light was 6.45

So by changing the time, for anyone that leaves home after 7.45 they have gained no extra daylight today and lost that little time in the evening!

Unfortunately given we lose 2 minutes a day at the moment, you'd only have another 10 days max of light in the evening. That's the reality of winter unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Well that was a sensational morning this morning! Beautiful bright sky and a pleasure to travel into work today!

Whilst you may think bright mornings are no use to anyone, they are of more use than both dark mornings and dark evenings.

You must have a lie in every morning.

Dark when I got up this morning- no different to last Friday, except that the animals don’t know what is going on.

Unfortunately given we lose 2 minutes a day at the moment, you'd only have another 10 days max of light in the evening. That's the reality of winter unfortunately.

You do understand that the 2 minuets we loose is not all from the evenings?

atticu wrote: »
    You do understand that the 2 minuets we loose is not all from the evenings?

4 minutes a day, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. look it up!

A lie on - i wish. Was up at 6:30 this morning (in the dark) and in work before 8am. But beautifully bright leaving the house. So important for getting the day off to a good start!

• Advertisement

A lie on - i wish. Was up at 6:30 this morning (in the dark) and in work before 8am. But beautifully bright leaving the house. So important for getting the day off to a good start!

It is good that you understand that there is no benefit to changing the clocks.

What's not to like about darkness at 10am in December, early bird turning the worm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Enjoy it, because you have less than a month before the sunrise time is back to what it was before the hour went back.

Meanwhile there'll be another 4 months of dark evenings before thew clock finally moves forward at the end of March - such as waste of daylight so you can see a bit of sun for a few weeks while commuting :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yes it won’t make much difference to most office workers in winter. Staying on winter time all year around will have a huge impact in late spring, early and late summer though.

There’s no good solution to removing the change. Which is why it’s a bad idea driven by self selecting malcontents on the web. Was anybody really massively put out by the change itself this weekend? On the other side people lose an hour but no real biggie either way.

The actual change itself is hugely disruptive to a lot of people. Anyone with small children has their sleep pattern disrupted for a week twice a year. It takes them ages to get used to waking up and going to sleep at the right times.

People who claim they never see any daylight because they're an office worker. Do you not get a lunch break? Go for a walk on your lunch hour. It's not that hard.

Having an artificial time change twice a year is a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Strazdas wrote: »
    The bright mornings are next to useless to anyone. What person is admiring the view and the scenery while they are driving to work or sitting on a bus or walking to work / school? They are usually still half asleep and under pressure to get to the place on time.....the daylight is not serving much purpose at all.

Some people cycle and would prefer it not being really dark during the commute?

troyzer wrote: »
    Some people cycle and would prefer it not being really dark during the commute?

If they work full time hours, it'll be dark either going to work or coming home (or both in the depths of mid winter)

Akrasia wrote: »
    If they work full time hours, it'll be dark either going to work or coming home (or both in the depths of mid winter)

I work from 7-3. At the moment I can cycle in relative brightness going in and clear daylight on the way back. A lot of people cycle in that early as well for the gym etc.

I work from 7-3. At the moment I can cycle in relative brightness going in and clear daylight on the way back. A lot of people cycle in that early as well for the gym etc.

That's at the moment in a couple of weeks you'll lose even the faint glow before sunrise. And actually, I call BS because I was driving at between 6am and 7:45 am this morning and it was still pretty dark until after 7am
    Sunrise this morning is officially 7:30 (although it gets bright before then)

If you're commuting to be in at 7am, you'll be cycling in the dark. and if you're coming home at 3pm, you'd have an extra hour of sunshine in the evening before it gets dark if we were still in summertime.

Akrasia wrote: »
    That's at the moment in a couple of weeks you'll lose even the faint glow before sunrise. And actually, I call BS because I was driving at between 6am and 7:45 am this morning and it was still pretty dark until after 7am
    Sunrise this morning is officially 7:30 (although it gets bright before then)

If you're commuting to be in at 7am, you'll be cycling in the dark. and if you're coming home at 3pm, you'd have an extra hour of sunshine in the evening before it gets dark if we were still in summertime.

You can call BS all you want, it was considerably brighter on the way in this morning after the change than last week. I'm not suggesting it was broad daylight, but it was substantially brighter which makes it easier.

Who cares if you have an extra hour in the evening? What are you going to do with it? It's cold and miserable and as you've pointed out already, for most people who are off at 5-6 it's still going to be dark when you get home anyway.

• Advertisement

You can call BS all you want, it was considerably brighter on the way in this morning after the change than last week. I'm not suggesting it was broad daylight, but it was substantially brighter which makes it easier.

Who cares if you have an extra hour in the evening? What are you going to do with it? It's cold and miserable and as you've pointed out already, for most people who are off at 5-6 it's still going to be dark when you get home anyway.

Your faint glow will be gone in a few days. I'm suggesting it's not worth screwing with the time for the entire population just so you can have a few days of extra twilight

What can I do with the extra hour? Well, already, my children have to come inside an hour earlier every single day. They could play with their friends until almost 7pm last week, now they have to be in before 6pm. This is just trapping people in their houses needlessly from October till February

Advertisement