Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

atticu wrote: »
    When I travel I don’t take my pets with me.

How do you explain the changing of the clocks to them?

Why do they need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Why do they need to know?

Well, st least we know that you don’t care about pets or the disruption that the change to the clocks causes them and their owners.

atticu wrote: »
    Well, st least we know that you don’t care about pets or the disruption that the change to the clocks causes them and their owners.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

fxotoole wrote: »
    So the UK will stick with GMT while the rest of Europe standardises on a time that doesn't require changing the clocks twice a year?

Exactly we cannot go with this if UK doesn't.
    It would make NI and ROI border areas looney land.

Or maybe some of our europhiles think that the DUP will sign up to having a different time to Britain so that they can fit in with the rest of the island of Ireland. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭irelandrover

jmayo wrote: »

Or maybe some of our europhiles think that the DUP will sign up to having a different time to Britain so that they can fit in with the rest of the island of Ireland. :rolleyes:

Lots of border countries have different times. Lots of countries have different time zones within the country. Exactly what issues would Ireland/ NI being in different time zones cause?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I wouldn't worry - they already are.

There's no requirement for us to be on the same time zone as Northern Ireland. Whether they stick with GMT or not, is quite simply inconsequential to our decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Exactly what issues would Ireland/ NI being in different time zones cause?

as with a lot of these things most of Ireland and the UK would manage fine

People who live around border, particularly who work/study and live on different sides of the border would encounter a fair amount of annoyance/inconvenience alright...but as mentioned nothing that people living on borders of other timezones have to learn to manage

a particularly novelty will be that Ireland and UK would only be on different times for part of the year rather than all the time, which would add to annoyance in planning things etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Rubbish, it wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience. Also we should stop letting the UK dictating how we live and operate. NI is a minnow compared to us who depends on us far more than we do on the, they will ultimately end up having to follow suit with us instead of vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lots of border countries have different times. Lots of countries have different time zones within the country. Exactly what issues would Ireland/ NI being in different time zones cause?

Yes lots of border countries do, but you will find that there probably isn't the huge number of interconnections that we and NI seem to have.
    Same argument goes for Brexit.

As for countries with multiple time zones, I have been in a few and the thing is the cross over can be in the absolute middle of nowhere with only through traffic not people back and over.
    See parts of Canada, Australia for example.
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Rubbish, it wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience. Also we should stop letting the UK dictating how we live and operate. NI is a minnow compared to us who depends on us far more than we do on the, they will ultimately end up having to follow suit with us instead of vice versa

We don't have a fecking choice with the UK dictating a lot of how we do business and how we live.
    They are 60 odd million, we are 5.
    They are our nearest neighbour and biggest trading partner.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

We don't have a fecking choice with the UK dictating a lot of how we do business and how we live.
    They are 60 odd million, we are 5.
    They are our nearest neighbour and biggest trading partner.

Bar the USA who is at least 5 hours away, Germany(and France!) is the UK's biggest trading partner and they get along fine with a 1 hour time difference.
    As for borders, Spain and Portugal who have a very long border on the Iberian peninsula get along fine with each other and they have a shared land border in 2 time zones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I was around the last time the clocks were fixed and I don't remember it being horrendous. Once again we were led by the nose by the Brits into changing back, due to a lobby by farmers in Scotland and Northern England
    We weren't in the EU/EEC then and were totally dependent on the UK, sterling was even legal tender in this country.

Does anyone even notice the time difference when they arrive at a European airport? I don't. The only thing I notice is the flight is an hour 'shorter' coming back than it was going out and that's about it.

So it got dark at 6.30 on Saturday and 5.30 today, big deal, does anyone care or even notice?

So it got dark at 6.30 on Saturday and 5.30 today, big deal, does anyone care or even notice?

Yes, lots of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

jvan wrote: »
    I guess the people who have an issue with adjusting their body clocks at end of October and March must never go on holidays to country's outside gmt/bst!
    When people go on holidays, they're willing to put up with a bit of jet lag because it's offset by the benefits of being on holiday
    Why would I want to suffer jet lag just for staying at home and looking out into the darkness an hour earlier every day, and still having to get up to go to work and get the kids to their creche or school and try to get them to stay up when they're over tired just in the hope they'll stay in bed longer the next day (doesn't happen, they're still up an hour early)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Are there any scientific studies on the health impacts of early versus late daylight? I know there are various studies looking at the impact of clock changes in general but what about timing of exposure to daylight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I did.
    Was back home at 6 pm, already night, can't walk the dog up the road without a torch light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Portugal has repeatedly tried to get onto CET and keep giving up as the usable light in the day is at the "wrong" times. So despite the advantages of being on the same time as France/Germany they have gone back to what works.

It will be the same with this, people on the edges of the continent having to fudge so that a few are ok.

Light when the kids are going to and from school makes sense to me.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't mind the current system.

But if we have to change, it should be to whatever option gives us the most bright evenings in the year. As far as I understand it that is summertime. I am sure there will be a few months of no bright evenings at all, but by and large it will be better than our current winter time.

Don't really care about dark mornings, sacrificing longer evenings for a bit of sun in the morning is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

It got dark at 5:10pm in Dublin today, damn depressing :( Imagine if the clocks didn't go back, it would be still bright till 6:10pm, a huge chunk of the population would have enjoyed their first daylight of the day at that evening hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

mollser wrote: »
    Yeah, and the dark mornings for 4 months of the year really got people down. As I say, there are no bright evenings in winter no matter what you do.

But as it is now at least we retain some semblance of light in the morning for much of the winter, which is important for lots of reasons, not least of all mental health.

It was a very depressing winter by all accounts.

My mental health is better served with the half hour daylight in the evenings, after work.

Children finish school at 4 pm for the most part, they would also benefit from that precious half hour, to 3/4 of an hour of daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

Where are the summertime lovers getting the idea that they'll be able to enjoy long evenings of daylight, it was dark at 10 past 5 today, 10 past 6 in old time, most people are still commuting.
    The extra hour in the morning is far more beneficial than you are giving it credit for.
    Can't believe people want it to be dark past 9am in December and January for no real gain in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where are the summertime lovers getting the idea that they'll be able to enjoy long evenings of daylight, it was dark at 10 past 5 today, 10 past 6 in old time, most people are still commuting.
    The extra hour in the morning is far more beneficial than you are giving it credit for.
    Can't believe people want it to be dark past 9am in December and January for no real gain in the evenings.
    Not really, when most people have absolutely no use for it.

And in the middle of summer you'd be trading sunlight at 9pm for sunlight at 4am. Bit pointless.

The really long summer evenings are great. One of the best things about Ireland in the summer is you can have brightness outside right up until 10pm at the height of it. If the cost of keeping those is some long dark mornings then that's a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

awec wrote: »
    Not really, when most people have absolutely no use for it.

And in the middle of summer you'd be trading sunlight at 9pm for sunlight at 4am. Bit pointless.

The really long summer evenings are great. One of the best things about Ireland in the summer is you can have brightness outside right up until 10pm at the height of it. If the cost of keeping those is some long dark mornings then that's a good deal.

Anybody who works outside will beg to differ, the morning light is hugely beneficial.

I've no problem with summer time in summer time, as you say dark at 9pm and bright at 4am is a bit of a waste.

I don't know - from your imagination maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Anybody who works outside will beg to differ, the morning light is hugely beneficial.

I've no problem with summer time in summer time, as you say dark at 9pm and bright at 4am is a bit of a waste.

If you work outside and need sunlight then start work later in winter

Most people are on set hours in artificially lit buildings but if you're in a job that requires daylight, your employer should set working hours based on when its bright outside

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

jvan wrote:
    Where are the summertime lovers getting the idea that they'll be able to enjoy long evenings of daylight, it was dark at 10 past 5 today, 10 past 6 in old time, most people are still commuting. The extra hour in the morning is far more beneficial than you are giving it credit for. Can't believe people want it to be dark past 9am in December and January for no real gain in the evenings.

Not so difficult to believe tbh, all it takes is a look at national polls and the views of individual states throughout Europe, reflected in reports/polls. I find the evening light of more benefit personally. We live far enough North to have short daylight hours as it is, so I feel summer time is of more practical use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Constant summertime please. Get it done.

Darkness at 5pm is depressing. Will 6pm be a huge change? No but it's a small improvement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Many people don't be up at the crack of dawn at the weekend.

So the extra hour would be well handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Here’s what I think will happen.

We go into summer time next year. We don’t leave in November. For a month people are happy. Then there’s the Dec and jan late sunrises , latest at 9:40 and ... outrage!

People left wondering why we didn’t leave well enough alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Here’s what I think will happen.

We go into summer time next year. We don’t leave in November. For a month people are happy. Then there’s the Dec and jan late sunrises , latest at 9:40 and ... outrage!

People left wondering why we didn’t leave well enough alone.

Exactly

That combined with the realisation that the evenings are too s**ty to do anything with in Dec and January anyway.

Early light gives better value in winter and late light gives better value in summer

Leave it that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

VinLieger wrote: »
    If we had a public consultation here id honestly be afraid of the clueless "think of the children" busy bodies shouting the loudest and getting stuck with winter time.

Personally having it get dark at 9pm during the summer is a far more depressing possibility than a few weeks of dark mornings during the winter

If the alternative to staying as we are is winter time all year round I'll take staying as we are thanks.

The long summer evenings are a blessing here

Advertisement