Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

highdef wrote: »
    In all fairness, we are only 4 weeks from the earliest sunsets of the year.

Where you will really see the benefit is in late winter and early spring. Around this date in February, it would be around 18:30 when the sun would set, if we remained on Irish Standard Time all year. Better still, around this date in March and it would be about 19:25 when the sun sets.

A lot of people in this country suffer from SAD and cases of it get much more frequent in the second half of winter and into early Spring because the long dark evenings drag on for so long. Even those who don't suffer from sad will often get cabin fever because there aren't many outdoorsy things you can do after dark, particularly for those living outside of urban areas.

SAD might be worse if the mornings are pitch black.

I agree that the long dark nights are too long, hence I think winter time should end in feb.

They are still taking submissions for specific countries. If enough people say that a change to winter time for a shorter period is the best idea, the eu directive might be modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

By the way, why you mentioned that it was wet outside is rather perplexing. How is that connected to clocks changing or not?

Wow
    Do you not notice the colleration between cloud cover and the level of sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In all fairness, we are only 4 weeks from the earliest sunsets of the year.

Where you will really see the benefit is in late winter and early spring. Around this date in February, it would be around 18:30 when the sun would set, if we remained on Irish Standard Time all year.
    Better still, around this date in March and it would be about 19:25 when the sun sets.

A lot of people in this country suffer from SAD and cases of it get much more frequent in the second half of winter and into early Spring because the long dark evenings drag on for so long. Even those who don't suffer from sad will often get cabin fever because there aren't many outdoorsy things you can do after dark, particularly for those living outside of urban areas.

So between mid November and mid February we have to put up with dark mornings and dark evenings.

Leave things as they are or make winter time from mid November to February

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Wow
    Do you not notice the colleration between cloud cover and the level of sunlight.

It could be a clear sky and wet outside from rain earlier in the day. Sun strength is rather weak at this time of the year so rain that falls earlier in the day means that it can still be wet after dark.

You only said it was wet outside. At no point did you make a reference to the cloud cover.

So between mid November and mid February we have to put up with dark mornings and dark evenings.

Towards the latter end of January, sunset times would be around 18:00 or later if we stay in Irish Standard Time all year so for most people who work regular office hours, the first bit of useful evening daylight would be late January or early February. Staying in winter time all year round would mean people would have to wait another month (early March) before the same sort of usable light is there after work.

Same goes at weekends where you might have things you want to do in the afternoon - that extra hour available in the early weekend evenings in late Winter and into early Spring would make quite a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

Towards the latter end of January, sunset times would be around 18:00 or later if we stay in Irish Standard Time all year so for most people who work regular office hours, the first bit of useful evening daylight would be late January or early February. Staying in winter time all year round would mean people would have to wait another month (early March) before the same sort of usable light is there after work.

Same goes at weekends where you might have things you want to do in the afternoon - that extra hour available in the early weekend evenings in late Winter and into early Spring would make quite a difference.

On the flip side, sunrise will be about 9.15 am for the end of January.

jvan wrote: »
    On the flip side, sunrise will be about 9.15 am for the end of January.

That is very true but I'm far more likely to want extra light in the evening during weekdays, when I am making use of my own personal time and not commuting or in work. I couldn't care less if it's dark till mid morning so long as I have decent light in the evening. However I admit that is my personal opinion and not everyone will be in agreement but if I asked a group of people would they rather it was dark first thing in the morning on the way to work and for the first hour or so in work or would they rather have extra light during personal time after work, I know what the majority would choose. Equally, the same would go for the weekend days, most people I would know wouldn't mind it being dark in the morning as most will only be ready for outdoor activities by the time is up and they will also have the benefit of the longer weekend evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

That's it, like I said before, it's a marmite topic, early birds vs night owls. Everybody has their own personal preference depending what suits their needs and lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

highdef wrote:

Fully agree with your point. For me the chance to see the sunrise light in the morning is quite a sensation, to see the day brightening. That shift in late October is brutal, completely messes with the body clock/opportunity for midweek outdoor time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

By the way, why you mentioned that it was wet outside is rather perplexing. How is that connected to clocks changing or not?

Its a verbal trick to install a miserable picture in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

That extra hour of daylight in the evening will do wonders for the elderly as they ain't fond of the dark. Plus they can be with their grandkids and those kids parents for family activity in that extra hour of daylight in the afternoon. None of this can be done in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭josip

klaaaz wrote: »
    That extra hour of daylight in the evening will do wonders for the elderly as they ain't fond of the dark. Plus they can be with their grandkids and those kids parents for family activity in that extra hour of daylight in the afternoon. None of this can be done in the mornings.

Why does everyone on this thread, and I mean EVERYONE, extrapolate from their own personal opinion/experience and apply it to the population as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I would be willing to accommodate clock changes 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after the solstice. 3 months of ultra early sunsets would be a lot more bearable that 5 plus it should keep those who prefer morning daylight happy enough.

I've been saying this for several years. Winter time needs to start a couple of weeks later and end at the start of February, not the end of March!

Also for those of us working with American companies and who partner with American colleagues every day, the time difference between us and them will either reduce to 4 hours or expand to 6 hours for part of the year (if working with US Eastern timezone), depending on which timezone we stay in. If it's the latter, it could actually have some effect on FDI and jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Summer time. But much better would be a 3 month winter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Summer time… cause the livin is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sunrise between 4 and 5 in June and july if we go for summertime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

thomasj wrote: »

We get that anyway. Summer time would give us brighter evening in the winter.

As opposed to between 3 and 4 if we go with winter time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Is the UK abolishing DST too or will NI be in a different time zone for 6 months of the year?

Don't reach for the low hanging fruit AH :pac:

• Advertisement

You already have summer time from the end of March to the end of October. Its the elimination of wintertime and those miserable long dark evenings to the end of March is what will hopefully happen. Thats the question.

9:40 sunrise jan. Past 9 am for most of the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Summer time is the only option that makes sense.

It means we keep our long summer evenings but still have the exact same amount of useable daylight during the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

This is an EU order, I think we should politely tell them we are an Independent Sovereign Nation and will not be obeying their orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

If we stick with summer time the latest sunrise at my location will be at 9.58am. Then it takes about another 20 minutes for the sun to rise above the mountains here. I'd still prefer it to winter time though.

Last week in the fine weather it was bright until nearly 6.45pm here. With IST that would be 7.45pm. Think it would really feel like winter was shortened if we had that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

theguzman wrote: »
    This is an EU order, I think we should politely tell them we are an Independent Sovereign Nation and will not be obeying their orders.

But we need to free ourselves from BRITISH Summer Time and GREENWICH Mean Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

We don't have BST we have Irish Standard Time. Summertime is actually the default here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

sunbeam wrote: »
    We don't have BST we have Irish Standard Time. Summertime is actually the default here.

They have BST in Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

We should do the opposite to the brits, and change our plugs to European ones while we're at it. Then move to LHD cars. Might be wise to get a nuclear weapons program going too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

As opposed to between 3 and 4 if we go with winter time?

No 4 and 5 if we stay on winter time

Advertisement