Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭thomasj

sunbeam wrote:
    If we stick with summer time the latest sunrise at my location will be at 9.58am. Then it takes about another 20 minutes for the sun to rise above the mountains here. I'd still prefer it to winter time though.

sunbeam wrote:
    Last week in the fine weather it was bright until nearly 6.45pm here. With IST that would be 7.45pm. Think it would really feel like winter was shortened if we had that.

Surely with that in mind, there would be calls to change school starting time to 10am ? Surely there would be uproar at kids walking to school in pitch darkness over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

thomasj wrote: »
    Surely with that in mind, there would be calls to change school starting time to 10am ? Surely there would be uproar at kids walking to school in pitch darkness over winter.

The vast majority are driven to school. Some parents walk them up the road. They’ll be grand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No 4 and 5 if we stay on winter time

I think you need to think about this a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah thats wrong, winter time will push sunrise in summer to between 3 and 4 so we will lose an hour of useable daylight.

If we stick with summer time we keep all our summer daylight and lose no useable daylight during winter it simply moves an hour later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Sunrise between 4 and 5 in June and july if we go for summertime

Think about that there for a second...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Big Words

No riding on Monday nights during summer time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

No. Winter time has earlier sunrises and sunsets.

They have BST in Newry.

In the UK, innit.

I still think changing the hour makes sense for 3 months of the year. No solution involving not changing the clocks works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

In the UK, innit.

I still think changing the hour makes sense for 3 months of the year. No solution involving not changing the clocks works.

I kind of agree, i think it will massively complicate things thugh as it will work for our specific lattitude and seasons but not everyone else so potentially each country would be on a completely different change schedule which would be insanely confusing.

Also its not gonna happen so we need to push for permanent summertime as much as possible.

I think the biggest concern of who might be lobbying for wintertime is the farmers as they will have a lot of pull

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think all year summertime is the lesser of 2 evils. As much as I'll hate the dark mornings of November-February it would be a shame to lose the long summer evenings.
    Ideally I'd keep the current set up but looks like I'm voted out on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

VinLieger wrote: »
    I kind of agree, i think it will massively complicate things thugh as it will work for our specific lattitude and seasons but not everyone else so potentially each country would be on a completely different change schedule which would be insanely confusing.

Also its not gonna happen so we need to push for permanent summertime as much as possible.

I think the biggest concern of who might be lobbying for wintertime is the farmers as they will have a lot of pull

Harvesting is done exclusively by machinery these day,not sure it'll be a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

kneemos wrote: »
    Harvesting is done exclusively by machinery these day,not sure it'll be a big issue.

They don't harvest in the winter so that won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

VinLieger wrote: »

What are you on about? Farming is the one job where you can get up and take advantage of early brightness and start work whenever you want, regardless of what it says on the clock. The rest of us have to follow the clock, regardless of what it's doing outside.

DST is fukin stupid. People seem to think it adds more hours of brightness to the day or something. If you Like more brightness, get up earlier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Having summertime all year round basically just means that we'd have an extra hour in the winter evenings but an hour less in the mornings, yes? If so I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, summertime all the way. Going into work in the dark and out again in the dark during the winter is just depressing. At least with summertime you're only going in when it's dark and getting a few minutes of light on the way home.

And 10pm brightness during the summer is great for parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

seamus wrote: »
    Yep, summertime all the way. Going into work in the dark and out again in the dark during the winter is just depressing. At least with summertime you're only going in when it's dark and getting a few minutes of light on the way home.

And 10pm brightness during the summer is great for parties.

I don't think any change should be built around your commuting hours.

Sky King wrote: »
    What are you on about? Farming is the one job where you can get up and take advantage of early brightness and start work whenever you want, regardless of what it says on the clock. The rest of us have to follow the clock, regardless of what it's doing outside.

DST is fukin stupid. People seem to think it adds more hours of brightness to the day or something. If you Like more brightness, get up earlier.

People follow the clock. Have core hours in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

summer time

Having been in Boston over a number of summers - used to hate that it got dark around nine. Summer days were largely lost to the working day. The long summer evenings here are something we won't fully appreciate until we no longer have them. Doesn't get much better than 11PM twilight on a warm summer evening.

I don't think any change should be built around your commuting hours.

His commuting hours are fairly common. Very few people would really want to lose the 10pm sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

We are here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Having summertime all year round basically just means that we'd have an extra hour in the winter evenings but an hour less in the mornings, yes? If so I'm all for it.

Me too, we will be at work or whatever in the morning anyway, longer evening daylight would be less depressing and SAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

I Like both for different reasons

I wish we had a proper winter and a proper Summer where you know what to expect and could plan accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We have electricity now.

There are streetlights.

We have electricity now.

There are streetlights.

those poor kids in Sweden and Norway must live in a constant state of trauma

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The only argument for wintertime is some brightness in the mornings is retained in Dec/Jan.
    But that is only really an 8-week concern. You'd be holding the rest of the year to ransom for that.

Don't worry about the six county border. If we can handle different currencies for 100 years, different time zones at the border is a doddle. A small handful of American states are a actually split down the middle by an hour. Not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The clear solution here is to put the clock back by 3 hours every morning and forward by 3 hours again every evening to enjoy brightness all the live long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

if you change the school times you would have uproar because of people having to go to work later to drop kids off at school first.

The vast majority are driven to school. Some parents walk them up the road. They’ll be grand.

And the reason for this is because a lot of people have rush off to go to work after dropping kids at school. Parents who walk kids to school generally arent then rushing off to work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Summer time is the only option that makes sense. Yes in December and January it's going be darker longer in the mornings. But it's going to get brighter as the commute goes on through the morning. Wheareas now in Dec and Jan you leave work at 5 or 5.30, when people are tired and it's already dark and getting darker as the commute goes on, whereas if the time was left at summer time then it'd still be reasonably bright as the commute starts.

Already it'd be bright till nearly 8pm if we were on summertime now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

lawred2 wrote: »
    summer time

Having been in Boston over a number of summers - used to hate that it got dark around nine. Summer days were largely lost to the working day. The long summer evenings here are something we won't fully appreciate until we no longer have them. Doesn't get much better than 11PM twilight on a warm summer evening.

On the downside almost dark at 4.30 in winter.

The mornings would be frostier for longer into the day though.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    On the downside almost dark at 4.30 in winter.

The mornings would be frostier for longer into the day though.

What do you mean?

summertime all year round would mean getting dark around 5.30 at the deepest part of winter not 4:30

Advertisement