Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

kneemos wrote: »

The mornings would be frostier for longer into the day though.

This is something that is being over looked too with all year summertime during the winter months

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Outdoor workers, construction sites etc wouldn't be able to start work until late in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah thats wrong, winter time will push sunrise in summer to between 3 and 4 so we will lose an hour of useable daylight.

If we stick with summer time we keep all our summer daylight and lose no useable daylight during winter it simply moves an hour later.

oh yeah...sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jvan wrote: »
    This is something that is being over looked too with all year summertime during the winter months
    Less of a deal really though. The data shows that people are more alert during the morning commute than the evening one.

Therefore safety-wise it makes sense that if the choice is between dark morning commutes or dark evening commutes, the former is preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

thomasj wrote: »
    Surely with that in mind, there would be calls to change school starting time to 10am ? Surely there would be uproar at kids walking to school in pitch darkness over winter.

Where is this place without streetlights????

Kids don't walk to school in country areas, only towns which have street lights so your point is null and void and has been for 50 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Discodog wrote: »
    Outdoor workers, construction sites etc wouldn't be able to start work until late in the winter.

Again. Lights.

They already do it.

Plenty of roadworks involving closures are done at night to avoid disruption. This is a non issue.

Again. Lights.

They already do it.

Plenty of roadworks involving closures are done at night to avoid disruption. This is a non issue.

Just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean its a non issue. Roadworks are slightly different in that there is more room for bigger equipment such as generators and lighting towers. For smaller domestic work this won't be as easy to achieve.
    Will the world end with the discontinuation of dst or having all year summertime or all year wintertime, no. But work practices will have to change although I suspect the people whos argument it to simply say use lights or sure don't parents drive their kids ro school anyway won't be effected either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Indo yesterday reports
    Ireland South MEP Deirdre Clune has confirmed that Ireland must now choose between winter or summer time with Brussels having ruled that clock changes across the EU should cease from 2021.

alas she is mistaken

The Indo today reports
    The Council of Member States still require a vote on the matter to get Europe-wide consensus.

It will also require legislation changes by each individual member state and to decide whether to stay on 'summertime' or 'wintertime'.

Minister for Justice and Equality, Charlie Flanagan TD announced that there would be a consultation asking members of the public whether they are in favour of abandoning the current system and, if they are, whether they would prefer to stay constantly on 'summertime' or 'wintertime'.

this time it is correct

topper75 wrote: »
    The only argument for wintertime is some brightness in the mornings is retained in Dec/Jan.
    But that is only really an 8-week concern. You'd be holding the rest of the year to ransom for that.

Don't worry about the six county border. If we can handle different currencies for 100 years, different time zones at the border is a doddle. A small handful of American states are a actually split down the middle by an hour. Not a problem.

Exactly. Those living near the Spanish/Portuguese border cope just fine. Portugal is on GMT and Spain is an hour ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

So I've been hearing on the radio that the EU have decided to stick with just one time all year long. I was on board with this when I thought they were going to stick to summertime times. I love having light in the evening and don't care if it will be dark at 9 in the morning in winter. My least favourite month of the year is November because the clocks go back at Halloween and I really notice that lost hour of light.

Personally I'd prefer if we stick to summer hours. When it's bright out I'm just more motivated. I know it's only an hour and I'll have to suck it up and go with whatever our European overlords decide but I'd like an extra hour of light in the evenings in winter. What does everyone else think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Tody I find out that each country will have to choose for themselves. So you could have one country stay in one. It’s neighbor stay on another. And others can decide not to change from the status quo.

So it’s utterly pointless. Will end up more hassle than it’s worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I don't give a flying which one it is. Just stop this clock changing insanity NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mad muffin wrote: »
    Tody I find out that each country will have to choose for themselves. So you could have one country stay in one. It’s neighbor stay on another. And others can decide not to change from the status quo.

So it’s utterly pointless. Will end up more hassle than it’s worth.

I don't think the status quo is one of the options. All EU countries will have to choose a permanent time zone. Which is less hassle (not that it's much hassle) than having to change clocks twice a year.

Also it will be no extra hassle if neighbouring countries finish up in different time zones. This happens already e.g. Sweden Finland, Hungary Romania.

BTW America changed their clocks on 10 March, so for the next three weeks New York will be 4 hours ahead of us instead of the usual 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I don't think the status quo is one of the options. All EU countries will have to choose a permanent time zone. Which is less hassle (not that it's much hassle) than having to change clocks twice a year.

Also it will be no extra hassle if neighbouring countries finish up in different time zones. This happens already e.g. Sweden Finland, Hungary Romania.

BTW America changed their clocks on 10 March, so for the next three weeks New York will be 4 hours ahead of us instead of the usual 5.

The yanks are behind. We have a half days work done before they haul they're asses (fat or otherwise) out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I absolutely hate it when the clocks change. Keep it on summertime, everyone will adjust and brighter evenings in the winter and spring are way more useful than an extra hour of sunshine in the morning.

This time of year it's getting bright at 7am and dark at 6pm.

It would be way better if it got bright at 8am and dark at 7pm. Kids can play outside for longer, people can go for walks or a run after dinner, play outdoor sports

The clocks won't change until 31st of March this. that's 20 more usable hours of sunlight that we'll not get to enjoy (unless you're one of the 2% of people who gets up and goes outside before 7am in the morning.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Behind us

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Could we not just change by 30 mins? Would that not be the best compromise?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Or have two time zones, like about a dozen of the US states.

http://www.timebie.com/us/kentucky.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

OneArt wrote: »
    I don't give a flying which one it is. Just stop this clock changing insanity NOW.

The clock changing makes a lot of sense. We’ll miss it when it’s gone.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I absolutely hate it when the clocks change. Keep it on summertime, everyone will adjust and brighter evenings in the winter and spring are way more useful than an extra hour of sunshine in the morning.

This time of year it's getting bright at 7am and dark at 6pm.

It would be way better if it got bright at 8am and dark at 7pm. Kids can play outside for longer, people can go for walks or a run after dinner, play outdoor sports

The clocks won't change until 31st of March this. that's 20 more usable hours of sunlight that we'll not get to enjoy (unless you're one of the 2% of people who gets up and goes outside before 7am in the morning.)

Yes but we could avoid that by changing the hour to summer time in mid feb-March.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Could we not just change by 30 mins? Would that not be the best compromise?

It would actually (since that’s actually a better reflection of where Ireland is) but it’s not an option.

Agreed, people shouldn't underestimate how long the winter will feel with dark mornings if we stick with all year summer time.
    I do think its the lesser of two evils though as it would be pointless having sun rising as 4am (not 100% on exact earliest it would be) and loosing the long summer evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If it was December to end Jan I think it would be sufficient.

All the way to the end of March is a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This year, the clocks change 30th March and Mother's Day is 31st March.

So Mothers get an hour less sleep? Real nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

So it's official - MEPs have voted to scrap the clock change, but individual countries still have to have a say, so it still may not happen. If it does, we'll have to decide whether to stay at Winter time or Summer time all year round. I bet we decide to do winter time.

And of course, assuming they're out of the EU, the UK have said they are still going to be changing their clocks, putting us out of sync with them for 5 or 7 months of the year

European Parliament has voted by 410-192 to scrap the March & October time changes in 2021. Not the final decision on this it should be noted, but hopefully another nail in the coffin of having to endure long dark winter evenings. Ridiculous that winter time has gone right to the last day of the month this year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2019/0326/1038689-eu-daylight-savings/

Laois_Man wrote: »
    So it's official - MEPs have voted to scrap the clock change, but individual countries still have to have a say, so it still may not happen. If it does, we'll have to decide whether to stay at Winter time or Summer time all year round. I bet we decide to do winter time.

And of course, assuming they're out of the EU, the UK have said they are still going to be changing their clocks, putting us out of sync with them for 5 or 7 months of the year

Just can't see it. Sunrise at just after 4am on June 21st? Total waste of daylight for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

European Parliament has voted by 410-192 to scrap the March & October time changes in 2021. Not the final decision on this it should be noted, but hopefully another nail in the coffin of having to endure long dark winter evenings. Ridiculous that winter time has gone right to the last day of the month this year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2019/0326/1038689-eu-daylight-savings/
    We could end up with wintertime all year long :eek: I really, really hope the government don't fcuk this up and we get summertime all year.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    We could end up with wintertime all year long sanitize_url('

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    We could end up with wintertime all year long :eek: I really, really hope the government don't fcuk this up and we get summertime all year.

Nightmare. You are looking at a 4am sunrise in June with that. Waste of daylight for the vast majority of people I think.

Advertisement