Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

As is typical with the EU of late. They have some solid ideas that they seemed to execute very badly. This will be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

[/b]

This
    Changing clocks is not a huge inconvenience.
    Due to our geography location it's the sensible thing to do.

nah - it's too long in the year in winter time. Reduce it to December and January then fine but five months of the year is simply too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mad muffin wrote: »
    As is typical with the EU of late. They have some solid ideas that they seemed to execute very badly. This will be one of them.

at risk of going off track

some examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

lawred2 wrote: »
    at risk of going off track

some examples?

Article 13

GDPR

Just a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I'm genuinely not sure which option I prefer, but I would certainly have preferred to keep things as they were.

Im the complete opposite.

I absolutely hate the change. Dreading next week, I will feel awful for most of it.

So for me, just stop messing with the time. Whether we stick with winter or summer - I prefer winter, but Id rather have permanent summer than changing the clocks twice a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

In all year summer time it would be 17:40, and there would be no usable light beyond 17:30

Sunset on that date in Dublin was 16:31 so are you saying there was only 1 minute of usable light after the sun went beyond the horizon? It must have been an extremely overcast evening or something as I am often out walking at least a half an hour sunset and have never had a requirement for a torch to see where I am going, even up to about 45 minutes after sunset.

....... wrote: »
    Except that is not the case for the majority of people, especially those with kids.

Based on what? The majorly of people want to stick with summer time that is quite clear so it would tally with what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

highdef wrote: »
    Sunset on that date in Dublin was 16:31 so are you saying there was only 1 minute of usable light after the sun went beyond the horizon? It must have been an extremely overcast evening or something as I am often out walking at least a half an hour sunset and have never had a requirement for a torch to see where I am going, even up to about 45 minutes after sunset.

Visual observation from my home in mid Kerry

It was raining, which is common enough in November in most of Ireland.

These nice evenings we are having this week are great, and it would be great to not have to wait until Sunday for the extra hour, but people tend to forget just how dark and overcast and dreary it can be in November, December and January.

Visual observation from my home in mid Kerry

It was raining, which is common enough in November in most of Ireland.

That puts your sunset somewhere between 16:43 (Limerick) and 16:53 (Valentia Island) on the 13th of November last so you were saying that your usable daylight that day ended about 15 to 20 minutes BEFORE the sun set?

I've never had a situation where I've been outdoors and been unable to do what I want 15 to 20 minutes before sunset because there was not enough light. The only reason I could think of that would make it too dark to work outside that long before sunset would be if it was absolutely teeming down with rain, in which case I wouldn't have been out in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Based on what? The majorly of people want to stick with summer time that is quite clear so it would tally with what I said.

Based on you actually being in the minority with going to work so late and sleeping in at the weekends.

Most working people I know are up between 5am and 7am and dont sleep in on the weekend.

Particularly people with kids - who have to be up getting them to creche and definitely are not sleeping in ANY days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Go on, go with all year summer time, I don't care.

Ye will be back here crying in a few years

Fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/which-timezone-would-be-better-for-ireland-experts-give-their-view-after-eu-vote-37956026.html

Sleep expert, energy expert recommend year round summer time. RSA and Gardai don't care. 82% vote in favour of summer time though, so we'll get year round winter time from the Muppets in Leinster House

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Leo Varadkar is saying he won't countenance two different time zones on the island of Ireland.

Got some news for you, Leo - it ain't up to you.

Interesting to see that the boards.ie vote has just under 82% voting for all round summer time and the Irish Independent has 81% supporting it so both polls are very much in agreement with regards to who wants to stay in summer time.

A good sign of how things will pan out, assuming a public consultation is carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A good sign of how things will pan out, assuming a public consultation is carried out.

There already was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

If dark mornings don't matter and we all like late evenings how about summer time +1?

Perhaps I am being a nerd about this but summer time would put us 1hr 30mins 'wrong' in astronomical terms, which is quite a lot. Even more in the West.

At present the process is like asking toddlers their opinion. Do you want to stop the fuss of changing clocks? "yes!" Do you want nasty winter time or lovely summer time? "Summer!" I don't think people are putting much thought into this.

It will be very dark in the morning for several months if we have year round summer time. I suspect that a lot of people who say they don't care now will start to care soon enough. On the other hand if we pick winter time (and don't rule it out, would be entirely in keeping with the Govt to put aligning with Europe at the top of the criteria) we will be clamouring to re-introduce changing the clocks the first time it doesn't happen.

I'm genuinely not sure which option I prefer, but I would certainly have preferred to keep things as they were.

Me too, to be honest. It’s the best compromise.
    ....... wrote: »
    Based on you actually being in the minority with going to work so late and sleeping in at the weekends.

Most working people I know are up between 5am and 7am and dont sleep in on the weekend.

Particularly people with kids - who have to be up getting them to creche and definitely are not sleeping in ANY days.

Imagine in midwinter being up at 7am and not getting to see daylight for at least another two hours? :( And then maybe leaving work in darkness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Imagine in midwinter being up at 7am and not getting to see daylight for at least another two hours? :( And then maybe leaving work in darkness too.

What's this fixation with working (indoors) during the hours of daylight? I gave up that nonsense years ago - so much nicer to work (and play) at night and be able to make use of the daylight for daylighty things.

So many slaves to the system on this thread ... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As I said in an earlier post somewhere.... we should experiment.

Try Summertime for year one, and Wintertime for year two, and then we have a binary choice based on actual evidence.

But having said that, I would go for Summertime all year. As others have said, if you are up and out at 7 -8 am or not much after, it is dark anyway here in Winter. Kids are not an issue to my mind, they are mostly driven to school anyway so I ignore all that gumph TBH.

Stats have shown that most car accidents happen in twilight and dark evenings. I don't have a link, but I am sure if you are exercised enough you will find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Go on, go with all year summer time, I don't care.

Ye will be back here crying in a few years

Fools.

Summertime gives us more daylight in the evenings, great in winter that it might be actually bright when getting home from work so we can get out and about. It will suit active people.

Extra light in the mornings is wasted eg. Sunrise tomorrow is 6.10 if that was 7.10 it would impact very few and they can all enjoy the daylight in the evenings. Not sure what your problem with it is.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Leo said that we wouldn't have different time zone to NI.

So either we follow the UK, or NI has a different time zone to GB, or we annex it.

• Advertisement

Leo said that we wouldn't have different time zone to NI.

So either we follow the UK, or NI has a different time zone to GB, or we annex it.

I go with annex. Balls if we're given the opportunity to go summer all year round only to be declined at the last minute because of the nordies and their funny ways.

Hurrache wrote: »
    There already was one.

I don't recall seeing results about whether people wanted to stay permanently on summer or winter time. Can you provide a link with the results please?

I don't recall seeing results about whether people wanted to stay permanently on summer or winter time. Can you provide a link with the results please?

Don't think they were, but it was just a consultation rather than a public vote.
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Consultation_on_Seasonal_Clock_Changes

Hurrache wrote: »
    Don't think they were, but it was just a consultation rather than a public vote.
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Consultation_on_Seasonal_Clock_Changes

That link, and the other links within don't appear to tell the results of who picked all round summertime or wintertime in each country, with most of my interest being Ireland, for obvious reasons. I might not have clicked on the correct sublink though.

I was thinking that there might be a further consultation to decide this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Leo said not happening here unless UK does it and fat chance of that after Brexit. FFS springs to mind, how do other countries or even same countries manage different timezones and common borders?
    Leo less of the subservient ****e please, surely we can forge our own damn path, the majority clearly want it.
    It's not like we can't work out a one hour time difference like we already do with mainland Europe without the economy imploding and our watches and computers exploding!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Supercell wrote: »
    Leo said not happening here unless UK does it and fat chance of that after Brexit. FFS springs to mind, how do other countries or even same countries manage different timezones and common borders?
    Leo less of the subservient ****e please, surely we can forge our own damn path, the majority clearly want it.
    It's not like we can't work out a one hour time difference like we already do with mainland Europe without the economy imploding and our watches and computers exploding!

**** them and **** DST. Wait until they realise that their new trade partners in Ouagadougou and Timbuktu don't use DST either and they won't be long changing.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is not changing time twice yearly, if we wanted to stay in step with the UK, even an option? Isn't it the case that we have to pick summer or winter and stick to it?

5starpool wrote: »
    Is not changing time twice yearly, if we wanted to stay in step with the UK, even an option? Isn't it the case that we have to pick summer or winter and stick to it?
    No. Yes.

Spain and Portugal are adjacent countries and are in two different time zones yet they seem to operate fine.

Spain has more than one time zone. The mainland and Canaries (owned by Spain) are in two different time zones.

There's no reason why different timezones between Ireland and the UK can work without any major issues, if other countries manage it fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That link, and the other links within don't appear to tell the results of who picked all round summertime or wintertime in each country, with most of my interest being Ireland, for obvious reasons. I might not have clicked on the correct sublink though.

I was thinking that there might be a further consultation to decide this.

I see quite a bit of anti EU sentiment on this thread. Any consultation could easily be hijacked by the Irexit types just to disrupt things. I don't detect any great interest in the subject among the general public.

I am happy enough to let our elected representative decide, just like they did for the current arrangement. Nobody is getting a choice not to change their clocks this weekend.

Advertisement