Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What about moving the clocks backwards or forward only half an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If it comes down to summer time or winter I’ll pick summer but the ideal situation would be change to winter time on the 1st Saturday in December and back to summer on the first Saturday in February. There is absolutely no need whatsoever for 5 months of it.

But one thing we shouldn’t do is stick with whatever the uk do. They certainly wouldn’t give an ounce of consideration to us in any decision they will ever have to make and so we shouldn’t consider them either regardless of NI. I’d say if we were to stick on one time be it winter or summer, there’s more chance of NI aligning with us than the uk who being honest couldn’t give a rats ass about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

New Home wrote: »
    What about moving the clocks backwards or forward only half an hour?

Ireland could choose a time zone 0.5, 1.5, 2.5 hours different to the present one. Or anything else. But if the new system comes in, that would have to be permanent because the whole point of it is to do away with clock changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

If it comes down to summer time or winter I’ll pick summer but the ideal situation would be change to winter time on the 1st Saturday in December and back to summer on the first Saturday in February. There is absolutely no need whatsoever for 5 months of it.

But one thing we shouldn’t do is stick with whatever the uk do. They certainly wouldn’t give an ounce of consideration to us in any decision they will ever have to make and so we shouldn’t consider them either regardless of NI. I’d say if we were to stick on one time be it winter or summer, there’s more chance of NI aligning with us than the uk who being honest couldn’t give a rats ass about them.

Completely agree with your ideal situation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

. I can see why they need be changed but does winter time need be as long I guess.

I be pro summer time clock but still I understand why they go back to extent I just think we dont need be in winter time as long.

Why does it need to change though, changing times for summer and winter hasn't stopped London being by far the biggest international financial trading center in europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Think it's upto each country to decide, when Leo was the leader he said he'd follow the UK with whatever they decided.

That’s the thing. Nicola Sturgeon might decide the strike a blow for independents and do the opposite to England :)

Ultimately, it really does not make any difference what time zone we're in, the obvious solution is to amend your working hours to suit the daylight if your job is dependent on natural light, set your working day from dawn to dusk by changing the start & end times to suit. In the summer if you want a long light "evening" start and end work earlier.
    As for synchronising with other countries, what's the point! at worst you lose an hour each morning or evening when your office hours are out of sync with theirs, if you really need to sync then both businesses can decide to move both their working hours to allow staff to be able to communicate for the whole working day. Once outside of western Europe (& Africa) there is a huge time difference that requires shift working to cover or only half a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Ireland could choose a time zone 0.5, 1.5, 2.5 hours different to the present one. Or anything else. But if the new system comes in, that would have to be permanent because the whole point of it is to do away with clock changes.

I don't agree with you.

But I have the utmost respect for you. It's refreshing that when you have different views you come back to the thread to discuss like a grown up instead of throwing childish insults around. Or simply leaving the thread.

Very refreshing nowadays.

Ultimately, it really does not make any difference what time zone we're in, the obvious solution is to amend your working hours to suit the daylight if your job is dependent on natural light, set your working day from dawn to dusk by changing the start & end times to suit. In the summer if you want a long light "evening" start and end work earlier.
    As for synchronising with other countries, what's the point! at worst you lose an hour each morning or evening when your office hours are out of sync with theirs, if you really need to sync then both businesses can decide to move both their working hours to allow staff to be able to communicate for the whole working day. Once outside of western Europe (& Africa) there is a huge time difference that requires shift working to cover or only half a day.

Take something like construction that's easier under natural light, removing DST means that all that building site traffic is going to be moving at peak office rush hour rather than earlier.

Take something like construction that's easier under natural light, removing DST means that all that building site traffic is going to be moving at peak office rush hour rather than earlier.
    Why would that be?
    Builders can be flexible as they like to their starting & finishing hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I don't agree with you.

But I have the utmost respect for you. It's refreshing that when you have different views you come back to the thread to discuss like a grown up instead of throwing childish insults around. Or simply leaving the thread.

Very refreshing nowadays.
    The ending of DST is contingent on unanimous agreement at EU Council level. That's why it's dead in the water right now, there is no unanimity.

The plan, as proposed by the EU Commission, was that DST would be abolished across the EU. Countries would be free to choose whatever timezone they liked but they could not keep DST. No opt-outs.

As I've already said, this is all academic as it has failed to achieve the required unanimity at EU Council and the new Commission has shown zero interest so far in pushing it any further. Only folk still making any noise about it are a couple of MEPs but they've no real clout on the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Quackster wrote: »
    The ending of DST is contingent on unanimous agreement at EU Council level. That's why it's dead in the water right now, there is no unanimity.

The plan, as proposed by the EU Commission, was that DST would be abolished across the EU. Countries would be free to choose whatever timezone they liked but they could not keep DST. No opt-outs.

As I've already said, this is all academic as it has failed to achieve the required unanimity at EU Council and the new Commission has shown zero interest so far in pushing it any further. Only folk still making any noise about it are a couple of MEPs but they've no real clout on the matter.

So it's not happening? 😔 FFS.

Why would that be?
    Builders can be flexible as they like to their starting & finishing hours.

Builders and groundworkers etc like working in daylight, if the DST is abolished it will be dark till about 9.15-30 am in the height of winter so they will push opening hours back an hour to 8 to 9am, this will push construction traffic into the peak traffic time rather than before it as currently happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

seamus wrote: »
    Swings and roundabouts. The sun setting at 4 o'clock in the afternoon is just as absurd as it not rising till 10am.

You can't control the basic physics, only the labels we apply to it. Personally I feel that a later sunset in the winter would be worth having the later sunrise.

I am with you there. I really hope this gets implemented officially for the EU next year and we put an end to the twice yearly clock changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just after 3pm now and it's almost dark.

Its like a self imposed 5 month depression.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

I know I hate it. Really really hope that this clock changing is finally done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So in a all year "summer time" scenario going by your example it will be almost dark just after 4pm.

Not much of a difference now is there ?

People will still be at work, college, secondary school will just be finished.

Not exactly a stretch in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Pamsteer

It's 11:25 for me, I'm still operating on IST.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ireland in winter always reminds me of

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

spook_cook wrote: »
    Definitely don't do what the UK does, but also at the same time we're not basing our decision on what the UK does... Riight

But at the moment we are. Leo the clown said last year or the previous year when this was first mooted that the UK had indicated that they wouldn't be taking part (and as they have left the EU theyre not bound by any EU protocol) and so Ireland would have to follow suit so as to avoid two time zones on the island of Ireland.

• Advertisement

But at the moment we are. Leo the clown said last year or the previous year when this was first mooted that the UK had indicated that they wouldn't be taking part (and as they have left the EU theyre not bound by any EU protocol) and so Ireland would have to follow suit so as to avoid two time zones on the island of Ireland.
    If the EU went ahead and abolished DST, Ireland would have to choose either permanent summertime or wintertime, there would be no opting out allowed.

Hence why Ireland (as well as some other EU States) vetoed the abolition of DST so it won't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So in a all year "summer time" scenario going by your example it will be almost dark just after 4pm.

Not much of a difference now is there ?

People will still be at work, college, secondary school will just be finished.

Not exactly a stretch in the evening.

You'd be surprised the impact that an extra hour of brightness everyday for 5 months would have on people's mental health.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Builders and groundworkers etc like working in daylight, if the DST is abolished it will be dark till about 9.15-30 am in the height of winter so they will push opening hours back an hour to 8 to 9am, this will push construction traffic into the peak traffic time rather than before it as currently happens.

As opposed to the current scenario when they go home during peak traffic time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You'd be surprised the impact that an extra hour of brightness everyday for 5 months would have on people's mental health.

The length of brightness isn’t going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You'd also be surprised the impact of it not getting bright until close on 10am would have on people's mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭ForestFire

You'd also be surprised the impact of it not getting bright until close on 10am would have on people's mental health.

These time are for Galway on the 21st December.

08:49 - 16:19 Daylight

So yes if we move to Summer time the daylight will start of 9:49, but it will start to get bright from 9.06 (Civil twilight) and that's good enough for me to get the extra light in the evening where it is more beneficial.

"Civil twilight, morning: Half an hour in which the sky lightens all over. At the start of civil twilight, the sky is light blue and colors of objects are easier to detect. By the midpoint, you can read a newspaper outside under open sky. Pedestrians no longer need a light but would probably want reflectors or bright clothing if they’re near traffic, especially on an overcast day."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Days very short now, dull cold weather today where I am which makes it feel much worse whereas yesterday was unbroken sunshine all day. On the plus side, the sunset starts getting later on the 17th December.

Could be worse, I was looking at the time and date website and I pity the poor feckers n Donegal - worst county in Ireland for Covid, bad weather and to add to the misery, in Carndonagh the latest sunrise is 8:55 (late December) and earliest sunset is 15:58 (mid December). A very noticeable difference compared to far south locations. Grim up north and no amount of fiddling with the clock solves that. Roll on the 17th December.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Days very short now, dull cold weather today where I am which makes it feel much worse whereas yesterday was unbroken sunshine all day. On the plus side, the sunset starts getting later on the 17th December.

Could be worse, I was looking at the time and date website and I pity the poor feckers n Donegal - worst county in Ireland for Covid, bad weather and to add to the misery, in Carndonagh the latest sunrise is 8:55 (late December) and earliest sunset is 15:58 (mid December). A very noticeable difference compared to far south locations. Grim up north and no amount of fiddling with the clock solves that. Roll on the 17th December.
    December 12th is actually the day of earliest sunset so the evenings start getting longer on the 13th. Albeit by mere seconds per day to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

BrianD3 wrote: »

In fairness, the only reason for high COVID figures in Donegal is down to sheer ignorance and people mixing with each other. If the people of Donegal had adhered to the guidelines, the high numbers of COVID cases would not have been an issue. They introduced that issue themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭trashcan

It’s not really an extra hour though, is it ? Just switching from one end of the day to the other. Personally I like it as it is. Leave it alone.

Advertisement