Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Quackster wrote: »
    December 12th is actually the day of earliest sunset so the evenings start getting longer on the 13th. Albeit by mere seconds per day to begin with!
    Better again! I was going by the time and date website which rounds to the nearest minute hence my error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭NSAman

trashcan wrote: »
    It’s not really an extra hour though, is it ? Just switching from one end of the day to the other. Personally I like it as it is. Leave it alone.

I hate it, go into work it’s dark. Get out of work it’s dark. At least an extra hour of light in the evenings would have some hope of getting out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

highdef wrote: »
    In fairness, the only reason for high COVID figures in Donegal is down to sheer ignorance and people mixing with each other. If the people of Donegal had adhered to the guidelines, the high numbers of COVID cases would not have been an issue. They introduced that issue themselves.

You got any facts to back that up?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It’s not really an extra hour though, is it ? Just switching from one end of the day to the other. Personally I like it as it is. Leave it alone.
    Likewise, with the caveat that I don't get why the clocks can't go forward again at the end of February. There is no great need for it to be bright before 7am in the March mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

It's an extra hour in the afternoon, which suits most people. I've no interest in civil daylight at around 4am in summer. That's just absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

In fairness, the only reason for high COVID figures in Donegal is down to sheer ignorance and people mixing with each other. If the people of Donegal had adhered to the guidelines, the high numbers of COVID cases would not have been an issue. They introduced that issue themselves.

You really have to factor in the fact that people are moving freely from Strabane across the border to Lifford and back again on a daily basis, this has always been the case. The problem now is the 6 counties has an extremely high per capita rate of infection and until recently took no steps towards mitigating the spread. This is mainly the reason for the disproportionately high levels of infection in Donegal. In reality to stop the spread of the virus in the republic, the gov would have needed to close all borders regardless of political sensitivities and enforce a 2 week mandatory quarantine. This would have prevented the need for any lockdowns within the 26 counties. See Taiwan for more on this, they have led the world in tackling the pandemic without the need for any lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's an extra hour in the afternoon, which suits most people.

Suits you, but probably not most people. Suits me as well, but more important to me is that we stop changing every 6 months and pick one permanent time zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Suits you, but probably not most people. Suits me as well, but more important to me is that we stop changing every 6 months and pick one permanent time zone.

Any polls I've seen on this have the vast majority wanting to stay in summer time year round. Hopefully it happens sooner or later.

Any polls I've seen on this have the vast majority wanting to stay in summer time year round. Hopefully it happens sooner or later.

If given the choice between summer and time and winter time, yes. That said I dont think most people realise the consequences to winter sunrise when they go for this. It would be my choice too if ending the change was certain to happen.

My favourite would be a 2-3 month winter time, from December to some time in February. The change would be today ( last Saturday in November) and move sunrise back from 9:12 AM, which would start to get painful, to 8:12.

Meanwhile sunset would move in this scenario from 5:11 pm to 4:10 in time for Christmas. Meaning most people , in a non covid era, would be leaving work in the dark in either case. Certainly not getting a hours daylight after work.

Edit:

All times I mention are Dublin times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

I am with you there. I wish we would just go with summer time and stop changing the clocks.

• Advertisement

What the obsession with stopping the time change? How could people manage in the last 100 years to change their grandfather clocks, wind up wristwatches, wind up pocket watches, wall clocks, even early digital time pieces that were a pain to reset; but now when we nearly all have devices that set themselves we decide this was a bad policy. It isn't.

I think people blame the winter change for the darkening of the days.

What the obsession with stopping the time change? How could people manage in the last 100 years to change their grandfather clocks, wind up wristwatches, wind up pocket watches, wall clocks, even early digital time pieces that were a pain to reset; but now when we nearly all have devices that set themselves we decide this was a bad policy. It isn't.

I think people blame the winter change for the darkening of the days.

Obsession? It is simply a proposal to co-ordinate time in the EU in a new way. It is already co-ordinated in that every member state has to change their clocks on the same dates. People will manage perfectly well if it happens.

Obsession? It is simply a proposal to co-ordinate time in the EU in a new way. It is already co-ordinated in that every member state has to change their clocks on the same dates. People will manage perfectly well if it happens.

Yes but the new co-ordination is about removing the time change, not DST, as most people want summer time to continue.

And in fact I think most people are not actually thinking about the sunrises. A particular issue for Ireland, if less so for other countries.

Yes but the new co-ordination is about removing the time change, not DST, as most people want summer time to continue.

And in fact I think most people are not actually thinking about the sunrises. A particular issue for Ireland, if less so for other countries.

Your proposal is very Ireland centric, 9/10 3/2 months time zones, to suit conditions from 6 West to 10 West. I couldn't see countries like Finland or Greece wanting to go on that schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,672 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If given the choice between summer and time and winter time, yes. That said I dont think most people realise the consequences to winter sunrise when they go for this. It would be my choice too if ending the change was certain to happen.

My favourite would be a 2-3 month winter time, from December to some time in February. The change would be today ( last Saturday in November) and move sunrise back from 9:12 AM, which would start to get painful, to 8:12.

Meanwhile sunset would move in this scenario from 5:11 pm to 4:10 in time for Christmas. Meaning most people , in a non covid era, would be leaving work in the dark in either case. Certainly not getting a hours daylight after work.

Edit:

All times I mention are Dublin times.

That would be a decent compromise. My main criticism of current winter time is that it starts way too early in the autumn and ends way too late in spring. A ten week winter daylight period would be more palatable.....five months of winter times is too long.

Your proposal is very Ireland centric, 9/10 3/2 months time zones, to suit conditions from 6 West to 10 West. I couldn't see countries like Finland or Greece wanting to go on that schedule.

Yeh I live in Ireland so why would I care about Greece or Finland? The EU should've stayed out of this.

Yeh I live in Ireland so why would I care about Greece or Finland? The EU should've stayed out of this.
    I don't think it really has anything to do with the EU, a question was put out there to people in all EU countries as to what their preferences were in relation to the hour change twice a year.
    The results showed a preference to abolishing the change and sticking to one timezone for the whole year, the EU commission accepted this, but left it up to individual countries which timezone to remain in.

Unfortunately, this proved to be very divisive in some countries and the idea has been postponed, possibly indefinitely.

Yes, it's almost as if Ireland could have a system that works for us, and Finland could have a system that works for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Strazdas wrote: »
    That would be a decent compromise. My main criticism of current winter time is that it starts way too early in the autumn and ends way too late in spring. A ten week winter daylight period would be more palatable.....five months of winter times is too long.

It's totally barmy that we need to wait until the end of March to put the clock forward.

It would be bright until 7pm in mid-Feb if we put the hour forward earlier. It's such as waste of light as having it bright at 7am at that time of year benefits fcuk all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

If only it was that simple, remember you have to get everybody to agree before you can take them with you, otherwise you might end up with different time zones within these islands!

Many clocks here in Ireland (digital & analogue dial) are dependent on the time signal from Anthorn in Cumbria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All of the Lidl / Aldi ones, which are probably the vast majority of those sold here, receive DCF77 from near Frankfurt.

The EU has decided that time differences between states should be the same year round. So either we all stay on whatever time zone we've chosen year round, or change the clocks twice a year but all on the same dates.

It's enough hassle having the time difference with the US change at different times without introducing that into what is supposed to be a single market

Of course the UK will do whatever the f**k they like, which will cause problems for us, as if they care.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Yes, it's almost as if Ireland could have a system that works for us, and Finland could have a system that works for them!

If we do an Irexit then that would work. Until then every EU country has agreed to do clock changes together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Quackster wrote: »
    December 12th is actually the day of earliest sunset so the evenings start getting longer on the 13th. Albeit by mere seconds per day to begin with!
    Grand stretch in the evenings :)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Grand stretch in the evenings :)
    A whole 2 seconds this evening! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Because of the latest lockdown until Jan 31st the Govt should say to hell with Europe and start Daylight Savings Time that day.

By then the issue of dark morning would be behind us when the kids are getting back to school and the evening stretches would be sufficient for people to get out a bit more for exercise.

It might improve the national mood after what will be a tough January.

Will it happen ? - of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

All of the Lidl / Aldi ones, which are probably the vast majority of those sold here, receive DCF77 from near Frankfurt.

Lidl / Aldi (Frankfurt) clocks apart, there are hundreds maybe thousands of "analogue" clocks here in Ireland that set themselves according to the Cumbrian signal. Clocks from Argos, clocks bought from many other suppliers over the decades, church clock towers, shop front clocks & the like, all receiving their time signal from Anthorn - Cumbria!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Because of the latest lockdown until Jan 31st the Govt should say to hell with Europe and start Daylight Savings Time that day.

By then the issue of dark morning would be behind us when the kids are getting back to school and the evening stretches would be sufficient for people to get out a bit more for exercise.

The European Union is an occupying force dictating to our country what we can and cannot do, this is one of a multitude of examples of how much sovereignty our nation has lost.

You are assuming that everyone is on the same work/school/retired schedule. You can do whatever you want, regardless of what the clocks says. Just don't ask the government to impose that on everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You are assuming that everyone is on the same work/school/retired schedule. You can do whatever you want, regardless of what the clocks says. Just don't ask the government to impose that on everyone else.
    We usually change our clocks on the last Sunday of March anyway.
    IMO I think that is too late given the available daylight.
    Why not do it two months earlier as a once off.

Not sure what it has to do with people's schedule

Are people's schedules much different on the last Sunday of January than the last Sunday of March ?

• Advertisement

We usually change our clocks on the last Sunday of March anyway.
    IMO I think that is too late given the available daylight.
    Why not do it two months earlier as a once off.

Not sure what it has to do with people's schedule

Are people's schedules much different on the last Sunday of January than the last Sunday of March ?

Would be chaos from a technical perspective. Eg meeting times, work schedules, clocks for every banking system etc would remain wrong. Confuse the crap out of work colleagues in other countries too in terms of scheduling anything. It's a pretty awful idea.

Advertisement