Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

theguzman wrote: »
    The European Union is an occupying force dictating to our country what we can and cannot do, this is one of a multitude of examples of how much sovereignty our nation has lost.

we need an Irexit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

theguzman wrote: »
    The European Union is an occupying force dictating to our country what we can and cannot do, this is one of a multitude of examples of how much sovereignty our nation has lost.

Quite the opposite. The rest of the EU adopted the Irish clock.

Since 1981 each directive has specified a transition time of 01:00 UTC and a start date of the last Sunday in March, but the end dates have differed. Successive Directives laid down two dates for the end: one on the last Sunday in September applied by the continental Member States, and the other on the fourth Sunday in October for the United Kingdom and Ireland. In 1996 the end date was changed to the fourth Sunday in October for all countries. In 1998 the end date was changed to the last Sunday in October; this happened to be the same as the previous rule for 1996 and 1997. The ninth directive, Directive 2000/84/EC, currently (2018) in force, specifies this rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

@Nq
    The EU proposal was to scrap putting the clock back in October, once its put forward at the end of March forever leave it like that. No more back and forward crap. Personally I think that's better. Its dumb changing the clocks twice annually. Better to have an extra hour brightness in the Evening in Winter IMO.

And Ireland will still be 1 hour behind France,Germany etc. Nothing will change in that regard. If the UK persisted they would find themselves 2 hours behind Paris and Berlin from October to March.

Wanting to do the opposite of GB for political motivations? Not every thing is about Britain.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    @Nq
    The EU proposal was to scrap putting the clock back in October, once its put forward at the end of March forever leave it like that. No more back and forward crap. Personally I think that's better. Its dumb changing the clocks twice annually. Better to have an extra hour brightness in the Evening in Winter IMO.

And Ireland will still be 1 hour behind France,Germany etc. Nothing will change in that regard. If the UK persisted they would find themselves 2 hours behind Paris and Berlin from October to March.

Wanting to do the opposite of GB for political motivations? Not every thing is about Britain.

The proposal is that every member state can choose its own permanent time zone. In Ireland it could be what we have now, or what we will have after March 28. Or we could choose something different, e.g. 2 hours difference. Nobody in "Brussels" is telling any country what zone to choose.

I fully agree with you, a permanent time zone is best. And if it means being out of step with the UK for 6 months of the year, or even all year round, there is nothing unique about that even now with lots of neighbouring countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

The proposal is that every member state can choose its own permanent time zone. In Ireland it could be what we have now, or what we will have after March 28. Or we could choose something different, e.g. 2 hours difference. Nobody in "Brussels" is telling any country what zone to choose.

I fully agree with you, a permanent time zone is best. And if it means being out of step with the UK for 6 months of the year, or even all year round, there is nothing unique about that even now with lots of neighbouring countries.

At this point with our future clearly within the EU we should not be bothered at all about having a different time all or part of the year to London. That is the direction we are going so changing the clocks should not be any different IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Vaccines
    Corporation tax
    Article 16
    Punishment of the UK at Ireland's expense

All issues that should cause one to rethink our relationship with the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Vaccines
    Corporation tax
    Article 16

Next they'll be forcing the metric system on us. The bast*rds

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Vaccines
    Corporation tax
    Article 16

ShyMets wrote: »
    Next they'll be forcing the metric system on us. The bast*rds

Mod

These are all valid topics in their own right.

Current Affairs is the best place to discuss the relationship with the EU in greater detail on these topics. This thread is in relation to Daylight Savings Time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Vaccines
    Corporation tax
    Article 16

+1

Thinking about trade it would be better to be on standard time year round, with the United States being only 4 hours behind for a large chunk of the year.

I am not keen on the idea of permanent DST but I would accept clocks going forward at the start of March or the end of February.

It is bright now about 7:20am so it’s not an issue if we put the clocks forward now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What a load of horse manure that statement is.

Just had to say that.

Sorry back on topic.

As I have said many times already, this is an issue of geography more than anything else.
    What is more important to you, the safety of your children getting to and from school in daylight as much as possible or your conference call to someone in EU or US?
    Having through the last time they tried to go all year around "summer time", long dark mornings in December & January.
    I would prefer to go back to the previous schedule when GMT was late November through to early February and "summer time" was the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

What a load of horse manure that statement is.

Just had to say that.

Sorry back on topic.

Yes exactly. The victimhood mentality is strong. Deluded.

As I have said many times already, this is an issue of geography more than anything else.
    What is more important to you, the safety of your children getting to and from school in daylight as much as possible or your conference call to someone in EU or US?
    Having through the last time they tried to go all year around "summer time", long dark mornings in December & January.
    I would prefer to go back to the previous schedule when GMT was late November through to early February and "summer time" was the rest of the year.

This 10 week / 42 week approximate split is beloved of a few people on the thread. But I don't think it ever existed. It would be bad to state it as fact, if it is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

This 10 week / 42 week approximate split is beloved of a few people on the thread. But I don't think it ever existed. It would be bad to state it as fact, if it is not true.
    in 1968 the clocks went forward in the middle of February.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/ireland?year=1968

So an early resumption of summertime has occurred in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

So are the clocks changing this month or what are we doing :)

td2008 wrote: »

Miles to KM.
    BST gone.

What are we doing? Disconnecting or being disconnected from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

td2008 wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Miles to KM.
    BST gone.

The British Imperial System is horrendous to work with. The metric system makes way more sense.

British Summer Time or Irish Standard Time......why do we need to use another countries time standard when we already have our own!

Please elaborate on your statement about a disconnect from the UK. Do you feel that Ireland needs to copy what the UK does?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thought we disconnected from the UK in the early part of the 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What's the correct answer if I want a smaller time gap to USA in winter? I could do with an hour more sleep on NFL nights

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Stark wrote: »
    Thought we disconnected from the UK in the early part of the 20th century.

5/6ths of the country did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Miles to KM.
    BST gone.

Have you not heard about independence yet? Look it up.

It will blow your mind.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Have you not heard about independence yet? Look it up.

It will blow your mind.

Yes we are an independent country but with close ties to the UK for centuries.

It also makes strategic sense for the EU to isolate the UK.

We have shared history, shared laws and shared land border and have had the common travel area for years.

You show those Brits and assert your independence by doing whatever the EU says.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes we are an independent country but with close ties to the UK for centuries.

It also makes strategic sense for the EU to isolate the UK.

We have shared history, shared laws and shared land border and have had the common travel area for years.

You show those Brits and assert your independence by doing whatever the EU says.

The UK have isolated themselves with Brexit not the EU.

It's all their own doing.

Our close ties and shared history with the UK has not always been by choice not been good for Ireland.

I think Ireland will become better and stronger and more confident by cutting off it's shackles with the UK. I would not like the UK's outlook on the world to be an Irish one. They're still thinking with an Empire mentality whilst we just get on with things.
    Even now with Covid vacciines they're turning it into a jingositic "Britain is great" thing. Drives me mad.

We're members of the EU and it's a bigger market. We should go with that.

Leaving behine archaic time systems or measurements will not do us any harm at all.

murpho999 wrote: »
    The UK have isolated themselves with Brexit not the EU.

It's all their own doing.

Our close ties and shared history with the UK has not always been by choice not been good for Ireland.

I think Ireland will become better and stronger and more confident by cutting off it's shackles with the UK. I would not like the UK's outlook on the world to be an Irish one. They're still thinking with an Empire mentality whilst we just get on with things.
    Even now with Covid vacciines they're turning it into a jingositic "Britain is great" thing. Drives me mad.

We're members of the EU and it's a bigger market. We should go with that.

Leaving behine archaic time systems or measurements will not do us any harm at all.

We are changing the time, not them. Our relationship with the UK has been very positive since the good friday agreement.

Cold reality is that EU bureaucracy cost lives. Even Germany are furious with the EC. The UK and Israel success demonstrates the benefits of being an independent and sovereign country.

The reason it irks so many proponents of the EU is because it throws cold water on the fantasy they are hoped would manifest. One of economic disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We are changing the time, not them. Our relationship with the UK has been very positive since the good friday agreement.

No they changed the status quo and since then the Tories have set about incinerating the positive relationship that was built since the GFA.

I love how after 5 years you still try to twist the logic around though that its Ireland and the EU at fault for any problems encountered because someone else choose to change the status quo.

VinLieger wrote: »
    No they changed the status quo thus incinerating the positive relationship that was built since the GFA.

I love how after 5 years you still try to twist the logic around though that its Ireland and the EU at fault for any problems encountered because someone else choose to change the status quo.

They didn't incinerate anything. They left the EU - as is their right. They can still be good neighbours.

What should give people pause for thought is the reaction of the EU. They because positively hostile, striving to make it a painful as possible.

It was more a warning to the rest of us to not consider it.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    The British Imperial System is horrendous to work with. The metric system makes way more sense.

British Summer Time or Irish Standard Time......why do we need to use another countries time standard when we already have our own!

Please elaborate on your statement about a disconnect from the UK. Do you feel that Ireland needs to copy what the UK does?

So why would you go out of your way to align with countries more than 500 miles away, in a different time zone?

Hmmm

Advertisement