Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What's the correct answer if I want a smaller time gap to USA in winter? I could do with an hour more sleep on NFL nights

USA going on to permanent DST.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

VinLieger wrote: »
    No they changed the status quo and since then the Tories have set about incinerating the positive relationship that was built since the GFA.

I love how after 5 years you still try to twist the logic around though that its Ireland and the EU at fault for any problems encountered because someone else choose to change the status quo.

The EU have done plenty of that by attempting to cut trade ties between Northern Ireland and Great Britain and limiting supermarket supplies.

All without the consent of the Northern Irish people. Talking up the violence threats by the IRA but ignoring Unionist people’s concerns. They don’t care about peace in Northern Ireland. They see us merely as a business transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The EU have done plenty of that by attempting to cut trade ties between Northern Ireland and Great Britain and limiting supermarket supplies.

All without the consent of the Northern Irish people. Talking up the violence threats by the IRA but ignoring Unionist people’s concerns. They don’t care about peace in Northern Ireland. They see us merely as a business transaction.

https://www.thejournal.ie/loyalists-withdrawing-support-good-friday-5371527-Mar2021/

The loyalist paramilitaries are not happy.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What's the correct answer if I want a smaller time gap to USA in winter? I could do with an hour more sleep on NFL nights

The answer is to stop watching that sh1te.

in 1968 the clocks went forward in the middle of February.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/ireland?year=1968

So an early resumption of summertime has occurred in the past.

That’s interesting!

It’s actually the best time to move the clocks to summertime as around then we have gained an hour in the morning. We can afford to lose it again temporarily particularly as the days length is accelerated.

Feb 1 is a bit too early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They didn't incinerate anything. They left the EU - as is their right. They can still be good neighbours.

But they haven't been good neighbors, they have acted in bad faith at every chance they got and their attitudes towards us as a people has been completely disgusting. Priti Patels famine comments are just one obvious example.

Also your attempt at a straw man by misrepresenting my point of them leaving being what incinerated the relationship was as usual quite sad and pathetic

I don't know why i forgot there is no point in even trying to discuss this with you, also this is way off topic.

Everyone can bang on about the UK & brexit etc, but remember that it is all meaningless when it comes to the geographic location of Ireland with respect to time zones.
    Completely pointless bringing up politics in what is a discussion that is based on the relative position of the sun and the Earth at certain times of the year and what time label to put on it.

I don't think it feels right to drive north and have to change the clocks.

Also watching UK tv will get confusing. So we will share a timezone with France now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This whole UK togetherness bull**** is also meaningless for another reason - the UK will almost certainly ditch Daylight Savings too.

My opinion is that we should be an hour ahead of the UK and France due to our geographical position, with Spain, Portugal and us forming a new UTC-1 time zone.

Would genuinely be an advantage for a country trying to attract tech companies here too - that extra hour closer to the Pacific Timezone would make collaboration so much easier.

MJohnston wrote: »
    This whole UK togetherness bull**** is also meaningless for another reason - the UK will almost certainly ditch Daylight Savings too.

My opinion is that we should be an hour ahead of the UK and France due to our geographical position, with Spain, Portugal and us forming a new UTC-1 time zone.

Would genuinely be an advantage for a country trying to attract tech companies here too - that extra hour closer to the Pacific Timezone would make collaboration so much easier.
    Don't you mean one hour further away from the far east!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

MJohnston wrote: »

Portugal has same time as Ireland. It's Spain that's one hour ahead

I didn't say anything about the current timezone situation?

Don't you mean one hour further away from the far east!

That barely matters to the tech industry — maybe it would matter to financial services, but even there I doubt it.

Conversely, if we move permanently to UTC±0, that mean the Pacific Time workday began at 6pm our time for a good part of the year. That would be a disaster for tech companies.

France and Spain used to follow the best time zone for their Geographic location and used GMT before WWII, then switched to German time, they never switched back afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Having through the last time they tried to go all year around "summer time", long dark mornings in December & January.
    I would prefer to go back to the previous schedule when GMT was late November through to early February and "summer time" was the rest of the year.

When was that? I would take late November to early February but failing that stay on summer time all year around
    Edit. Seen your other reply that it happened in 1968. Why did they then mess it up by moving it to October and March??

I don’t think the Irish government can continue to use the BS reason that they don’t want to create two time zones on the island when the UK are at present unilaterally going to change the Northern Ireland protocol. They couldn’t care less about Ireland and so we shouldn’t care about them. Let NI to decide what they want to do themselves but it shouldn’t influence our decision either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Oh give over. The majority in the North voted to stay in the EU so stop taking ****. Its your favourite past time though. You haven't a clue about anything. Always peddling absolute ****e. London agreed a deal with the EU. That's what the checks are about. You won't criticise them though, they don't give a ****e about NI. It costs them a fortune and a majority in England would be glad to see the back of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Really no reason why we're still on winter time, would be so nice to have brighter evenings in March, would have light until 7.30 tonight. If the brits don't want to change that's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

Really no reason why we're still on winter time, would be so nice to have brighter evenings in March, would have light until 7.30 tonight. If the brits don't want to change that's their problem.

Agreed. It would be great it we just switched to summer time and stayed that way. If London wants to keep the UK 1 hour different just so they are not taking "orders" as they see it from the EU then good luck to them. Should not matter to us one iota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

We are changing the time, not them. Our relationship with the UK has been very positive since the good friday agreement.

Cold reality is that EU bureaucracy cost lives. Even Germany are furious with the EC. The UK and Israel success demonstrates the benefits of being an independent and sovereign country.

The reason it irks so many proponents of the EU is because it throws cold water on the fantasy they are hoped would manifest. One of economic disaster.

We're in the EU not the UK.

So when you're in a club you follow the members decisions of the club you're in not the one down the road.

So now you're saying the EU is costing lives . I assume you're referring to Covid vaccinations here.

Yes the Brits are waving their flags about how great they are over the vaccinations but conveniently ignore that they have the highest death rates from Covid in Europe.

Their death rate from Covid is 1,821 per 1m people compared to Ireland's rate of 876. Link
    So I think I'm happy with what Ireland has done.

I remember last year when Italy got hit hard and Sky News had big dramatic reports from an hospital in Lombardy. Reporter in full hazmat suit with big reports of how bad it is there. A few months later and UK's death rate is worse and did not see one report in similar style from a UK hospital.

Truth is, Bojo & co took a gamble on a vaccine and approved earlier than the EU and it has paid off but it was a gamble.

Ireland, despite all the negativity is doing quite well and it will ramp up.

It's more delaying freedom from lockdown than saving lives.

Either way, I would not be looking at the UK as ideal country for how they have handled it in any way.

This does not mean that we cannot have a good relationship with them but that also does not mean we have to do everything like they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

eire4 wrote: »
    Agreed. It would be great it we just switched to summer time and stayed that way. If London wants to keep the UK 1 hour different just so they are not taking "orders" as they see it from the EU then good luck to them. Should not matter to us one iota.

No different to Spain and Portugal. Shard peninsula but one hour time difference and no problems.

This thread has been polluted with Brexit. I’ll say again though that a year round summer time is a bad idea. A shorter winter time would suffice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

This thread has been polluted with Brexit. I’ll say again though that a year round summer time is a bad idea. A shorter winter time would suffice.

Year round summertime would be better than year round wintertime

It’s a long thread but I said that way back.

Personally I would prefer year round summer time and I think most polls indicate that is the choice of the majority.

https://www.politico.eu/article/french-favor-summertime-scheme-in-eu-clock-change-debate/

But for sure this clock changing nonsense needs to stop IMHO.

I am with you there and every poll I have seen show strong majorities in favour of staying on summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

eire4 wrote: »
    I am with you there and every poll I have seen show strong majorities in favour of staying on summer time.

Yes Year round summertime would be better than year round wintertime
    8-12 week winter Time would be my preference. No reason clocks couldn’t have changed a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Summer has a much better PR team, but moving to permanent DST (summer time) instead of standard time doesn't mean that we'll have summer all year.

By changing to permanent DST / summer time, winters would be absolutely miserable. Sunrise wouldn't begin until after 10:00, it's hard enough getting kids out of bed in winter wiyjout it appearing to be the middle of the night.
    Our circadian cycle would be completely messed up, affecting sleep and health for an entire season every year.

The summer daylight hours are so long that keeping standard time would have no major impact, but the limited sunlight hours in winter would cause a noticable impact is we use DST, and the off set of astrological time would also be much more apparent.

We do a a real world example of opting out of seasonal time changes: in 2011 Russia moved to permenant DST / summertime zones, initially the popular choice. In 2014 they then changed back to standard time as DST was attributed to increased health issues and road accidents compared to previous years, and impacting agriculture.

• Advertisement

Summer has a much better PR team, but moving to permanent DST (summer time) instead of standard time doesn't mean that we'll have summer all year.

By changing to permanent DST / summer time, winters would be absolutely miserable. Sunrise wouldn't begin until after 10:00, it's hard enough getting kids out of bed in winter wiyjout it appearing to be the middle of the night.
    Our circadian cycle would be completely messed up, affecting sleep and health for an entire season every year.

The summer daylight hours are so long that keeping standard time would have no major impact, but the limited sunlight hours in winter would cause a noticable impact is we use DST, and the off set of astrological time would also be much more apparent.

We do a a real world example of opting out of seasonal time changes: in 2011 Russia moved to permenant DST / summertime zones, initially the popular choice. In 2014 they then changed back to standard time as DST was attributed to increased health issues and road accidents compared to previous years, and impacting agriculture.
    Yes, I still remember the last time all year round "summer time" was tried, 1968 to 1970, the mid winter mornings were miserable, the lighter evenings were of little use!

Advertisement