Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

VinLieger wrote: »
    Simply put if we choose to stick with winter time we are choosing to lose an hour of daylight during the summer, if we stick with summer time, we keep the same number of hours of daylight during the winter it just shifts forward a bit later in the day.

Why would we choose to lose an hour of daylight for 7 months?

How are we losing an hour of daylight in the summer? What you stated about the winter months also applies to the summer, whether the clocks change or not there will always be the same number of hours of daylight during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

This could cause me to have to leave my job as I could mean being forced to work 10-6 rather than 9-5.

This is the thing that is being ignored by EU office crats. The present system doesn't exist for the craic.
    This populist announcement hasn't been thought through, especially the effects the in far west of the EU.

This is going to be a big issue for a lot of outdoor workers (who lets face it don't matter in political terms). Many work 8-6 or longer as it is, so it'll be 9-7pm for a lot of them in the winter in order to make the most of earlier daylight as it's more valuable to construction and other outdoor work than late daylight is, giving them even less time with their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If the clocks were the same time all year round, and EU countries started a consultation to change them twice a year, the anti EU brigade would be out in force complaining about that. They just want some stick to beat the "Eurocrats" with, nothing to do with workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Absurd only to those that lie about in bed in the morning and stay up all night on boards! There should be roughly the same amount of daylight either side of midday. That's the whole concept of midday and that is 'wintertime' - a pejorative term if ever there was one. Should be changed to 'normaltime'.

For those that rise early for whatever reason, maximum daylight is valued and should be retained. If people feel that longer daylight in winter evenings is more valuable, well let them get up earlier and retune their diurnal rhythms.

They are getting up a an hour earlier. That’s what summer time literally is. If you want solar time use a solar clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

How are we losing an hour of daylight in the summer? What you stated about the winter months also applies to the summer, whether the clocks change or not there will always be the same number of hours of daylight during the summer.

Not many people get up around 4am in June to make use of the dawn light.
    Imagine it could be getting bright just after 3am if we kept winter time.

• Advertisement

I live in the midlands work in Dublin.

It would mean getting home after 8pm each night.

I won't beenfit from the supposed extra daylight we are going to get either.

I have a feeling most people would rather start work earlier and finish earlier than the other way around, thats certainly how my colleagues feel anyway.

You realise that you would only have to start work at 10pm for one or two months if you actually need full daylight to work.

If you had full winter time you’d get home in darkness about 8 months of the year.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Even with GMT in summer, you'd have sunset on 21st June in Dublin at 9pm and dusky conditions for a couple of hours after that.

We have hugely long days in the summer due to the latitude rather than the clock adjustments.

That’s the maximum. A few weeks either from the mid summer and it will be sunset at 8 or so. Sunset today - September 13 would be at 6:50. It would be dark by 8pm in early May and late August.

The loss of total evening hours would be fairly substantial.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Not many people get up around 4am in June to make use of the dawn light.
    Imagine it could be getting bright just after 3am if we kept winter time.

Actually strictly speaking at our latitude, for 4 or 5 weeks either side of the summer solstice, the sky doesn`t get completely dark at all. So the change would be less noticeable than a lot of people are making it out to be.

Actually strictly speaking at our latitude, for 4 or 5 weeks either side of the summer solstice, the sky doesn`t get completely dark at all. So the change would be less noticeable than a lot of people are making it out to be.

Of course people will notice.

I’d prefer to keep winter time and summer time but year long summer time is preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

You realise that you would only have to start work at 10pm for one or two months if you actually need full daylight to work.

If you had full winter time you’d get home in darkness about 8 months of the year.

I work with UK customers if we don't align with them in this time zone change it could affect my job and could be a tipping point for me staying with the job.

• Advertisement

Of course people will notice.

I’d prefer to keep winter time and summer time but year long summer time is preferable.

After a couple of years there will be nothing to notice.

I work with UK customers if we don't align with them in this time zone change it could affect my job and could be a tipping point for me staying with the job.

You moved the goalposts there. The British will probably do what the EU does.

After a couple of years there will be nothing to notice.

There will be 100s of hours of evening daylight missing to notice. All to save a bit of daylight in the mornings in late Feb and early Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The EU is doing nothing.

Actually a spokesperson for the UK government has said that there are no plans to change the current system of changing the clocks twice a year.

There will be 100s of hours of evening daylight missing to notice. All to save a bit of daylight in the mornings in late Feb and early Jan.

Depends where you are, if it is to apply to lots of countries. People in America have to live with 15 degree longitude time zones.

The EU is doing nothing.

Of ffs. What the constituent countries of the EU are doing.

Depends where you are, if it is to apply to lots of countries. People in America have to live with 15 degree longitude time zones.

Depends where we are? Here we are. In Ireland. That’s where the 100s of hours of afternoon daylight is going to be lost if we go to wintertime.

With Britain not changing this is becoming absurd though.

I work with people all over the EU all the time and the hours time difference makes no difference aside from the odd time I can’t refuse a lunchtime meeting (as it’s there 2pm) or if they have a 9am meeting I just take it from home at 8am before going into work. It will make little to no difference for you working with the UK and it’s only for some of the year also.

Making that a 2 hour difference if they change and we don’t could start to get a bit more annoying but still not a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

While it's great to have December daylight until 5.45pm or 6pm, our children would be starting school in almost darkness. Dawn would occur around 9am.

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    While it's great to have December daylight until 5.45pm or 6pm, our children would be starting school in almost darkness. Dawn would occur around 9am.

Which did happen for a few years at the end of the 60s and beginning of the 70s. I don't remember it causing any huge issues at the time.

Depends where we are? Here we are. In Ireland. That’s where the 100s of hours of afternoon daylight is going to be lost if we go to wintertime.

With Britain not changing this is becoming absurd though.

It's 21:42 in Portugal, 22:42 just over the Spanish border. People can adapt to "absurd" conditions. And like I said the new regime will soon establish itself, and there will be no variance from year to year to provoke comment. Guaranteed that if the new regime was in for twenty years, and and attempt was made to go back, there would be similar outrage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

It's dark at 4.30pm in December. That hour wouldn't really make a whole difference really.

So what, they are in a classroom it doesn't matter if its dark or bright. Much better to have the light in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Great ..abolish that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

It's 21:42 in Portugal, 22:42 just over the Spanish border. People can adapt to "absurd" conditions. And like I said the new regime will soon establish itself, and there will be no variance from year to year to provoke comment. Guaranteed that if the new regime was in for twenty years, and and attempt was made to go back, there would be similar outrage.

Absurd are the timezones in Jerusalem.

The Palestinians and Israelis observe different timezones. In the same city.
    And yet, the sky has not fallen in, by Toutatis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

So what, they are in a classroom it doesn't matter if its dark or bright. Much better to have the light in the evening.

It's inevitable that even more of them will end up being driven to school than is currently the case. Expect serious traffic problems and maybe also an increase in children getting hit by cars on the way to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It's inevitable that even more of them will end up being driven to school than is currently the case. Expect serious traffic problems and maybe also an increase in children getting hit by cars on the way to school.

Children are already walking to school in the dark during these months as they need to catch buses and trains prior to 8 o clock and as many have pointed out it doesn't get bright till 9 for several weeks anyway, so that statement is hyperbolic nonsense that you have zero evidence to support and you are simply trying to play off peoples emotions rather than deal in facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed people are constantly complaining children are spending too much time in doors and not enough outside playing, this would allow for more of that during the winter months

• Advertisement

It's dark at 4.30pm in December. That hour wouldn't really make a whole difference really.

It will be 7pm in February.

The best solution here would be a 2 month winter time.

Advertisement