Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It will be 7pm in February.

The best solution here would be a 2 month winter time.

Indeed we should have switched to a shorter winter clock decades ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

Yeah for the two worst months, December and January.

I don't think I can deal with it being dark at 10am. That hour in the evening in Irish weather won't do much anyway. People are saying it will be great to get out but in the rain. No it won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

VinLieger wrote: »
    Children are already walking to school in the dark during these months as they need to catch buses and trains prior to 8 o clock and as many have pointed out it doesn't get bright till 9 for several weeks anyway, so that statement is hyperbolic nonsense that you have zero evidence to support and you are simply trying to play off peoples emotions rather than deal in facts.

Even in the middle of December, it gets bright before 9 - generally between 8:15 and 8:45am. And yes, I have evidence to support that. Without DST, it will be dark at 9am, when most schools open. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an increase in traffic, as fewer people will be prepared to allow their children to walk to school in pitch-darkness. I also don't think it's hyperbolic to suggest that darker mornings might result in children getting hit by cars.

I also don't think it's hyperbolic to suggest that darker mornings might result in children getting hit by cars.

Apologies if you missed the piece of your post i literally highlighted so ill make it easier by just quoting this piece of garbage by itself so as not to confuse you again.

Its completely hyperbolic and you have zero evidence to support such a claim, it is an argument based on playing off peoples emotions which is pathetic.

Traffic is a silly consideration again as I pointed out children are not only walking to schools between 8:30 and 9:00am. Many start their journey's as early as 7:00-7:30 when it would most definitely still be pitch black so your theory is garbage as quite a lot of children already make their journeys to school in the dark during these months and we don't ever see a rash of children suddenly being hit by cars during these dark months.

• Advertisement

Its completely hyperbolic and you have zero evidence to support such a claim, it is an argument based on playing off peoples emotions which is pathetic.

Calm down there, and dial the histrionics down a bit. I don't need to provide evidence for something that I said might happen.

Calm down there, and dial the histrionics down a bit. I don't need to provide evidence for something that I said might happen.

Actually you do, its called backing up a claim, if you cant then that claim is quite obviously bullsh1t.

Also specifically your one is nothing more than a childish emotional argument straight out of the simpons "wont somebody please think of the children!!!!"

Actually you do, its called backing up a claim, if you cant then that claim is quite obviously bullsh1t, and specifically your one is nothing more than a childish emotional argument straught out of the simpobs "wont somebody please think of the children!!!!"

No, you think it's bullshit. And that's fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

No seriously, it's bull****.

Heres an example, your mother "might" be a goat and your father an alien but i dont have to back it up or admit im wrong cus i used the word "might". Do you get how ridiculous your logic is now?

• Advertisement

Heres an example, your mother might be a goat and your father an alien but i dont have to back it up or admit im wrong cus i used the word "might". Do you get how ridiculous your logic is now?

Like I said, I have no evidence for something that might, or might not, happen. You might calm down. You might not. Only time will tell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Like I said, I have no evidence for something that might, or might not, happen. You might calm down. You might not. Only time will tell. :)

That's right you don't.

But sure we'll try to align the timezones around your 'feelings' instead.

But sure we'll try to align the timezones around your 'feelings' instead.

I'd appreciate that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Apologies if you missed the piece of your post i literally highlighted so ill make it easier by just quoting this piece of garbage by itself so as not to confuse you again.

Traffic is a silly consideration again as I pointed out children are not only walking to schools between 8:30 and 9:00am. Many start their journey's as early as 7:00-7:30 when it would most definitely still be pitch black so your theory is garbage as quite a lot of children already make their journeys to school in the dark during these months and we don't ever see a rash of children suddenly being hit by cars during these dark months.

Realistically in this day and age how many children actually walk to school any more? I would think that the vast majority are either ferried back and forth by their parents or travel by school bus, in which case the above points are irrelevant.

Realistically in this day and age how many children actually walk to school any more? I would think that the vast majority are either ferried back and forth by their parents or travel by school bus, in which case the above points are irrelevant.

Indeed so the idea that traffic would increase makes no sense when the vast majority alreadyvare driven

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Shenshen wrote:
    Unless you're using a sundial, why would that be a problem?

Exactly. Sure look at the variability across Europe as it stands (e g. Between eastern Hungary and North Western Spain). Their solar noon time's are wildly different

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

So you're planning on turning up an hour late for everything?

No, everyone else is there early!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Government is going to ask members of the public whether or not we should scrap DST: https://www.buzz.ie/news/government-to-ask-irish-public-about-scrapping-daylight-savings-time-301674
    The plan would see the last mandatory summertime change take place on Sunday, March 31 2019.

Current Brexit proposals suggest Britain will leave the European Union on March 29, 2019. The British government has no plans to end the time changing tradition.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

don't forget to put your clocks back one hour tonight before ye go to bed :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

don't forget to put your clocks back one hour tonight before ye go to bed :D
    why ?

My clocks ,phones ,tablets, TV , Satellite boxes , computers all get time off the interweb or from the airwaves :cool:

Only clock I need to adjust is the one in car :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

why ?

My clocks ,phones ,tablets, TV , Satellite boxes , computers all get time off the interweb or from the airwaves :cool:

Only clock I need to adjust is the one in car :mad:

wish all mine did - I have 2 radio controlled clocks , and the computers clocks - the rest I got to manually change them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Government is going to ask members of the public whether or not we should scrap DST: https://www.buzz.ie/news/government-to-ask-irish-public-about-scrapping-daylight-savings-time-301674

Honestly my own opinion is to abandon DST in it's entirety just leave the damn clock's on normal GMT no +1 nonsense. Midnight and Midday should be just that not off by an hour and the only time in the year the clocks are normal is in the winter. Hope this consultation doesn't make Summer Time permenant as it too silly in the winter having darkness till 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Abolish time altogether I say. Go back to the good old days when we used sundials. That’s the only accurate way to tell the time damn it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Abolish time altogether I say. Go back to the good old days when we used sundials. That’s the only accurate way to tell the time damn it.
    NO !

You'd have to spend a greater proportion of the earth's daily rotation at work during the summer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I absolutely hate DST!

Everyone says 'you get an extra hour in bed tomorrow'
    Yeah, a whole lot of good that is when the kids are up at 6am instead of 7am

It'll take them weeks to get into the new routine

Keep the clocks on summertime all year long. The daylight is much more useful in the evenings than the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Infini wrote: »
    Honestly my own opinion is to abandon DST in it's entirety just leave the damn clock's on normal GMT no +1 nonsense. Midnight and Midday should be just that not off by an hour and the only time in the year the clocks are normal is in the winter. Hope this consultation doesn't make Summer Time permenant as it too silly in the winter having darkness till 10am.

The clocks aren’t normal in Dublin with GMT. It’s about half an hour later than it should be. What you are looking for is Dublin Mean Time.

The rest of the country is even earlier.

much of the country’s “real time” is closer to or equidistant from Irish summer time than GMT.

The best solution of course is to not solve this problem at all, or reduce the number of months in winter time to 3 months. A few malcontents didn’t like the changes.

Just for the historical perspective, when the rest of Europe -including Gaelic Ireland-abandoned the Julian Calendar and opted for the Gregorian Calendar (1582) the English persisted with their symbolic stupidity, abandoning the Julian Calendar for the Gregorian Calendar as recently as 1752.

So don't be expecting them to have any less of a tendency to cut off their nose to spite their face. No matter how stupid DST is in 2018 - the British created it in 1916, the same year they abolished Dublin Mean Time ("Irish Time"), as a means to conserve coal during WW I - English nationalists will make DST a symbol of defiance and millions of morons will agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just for the historical perspective, when the rest of Europe -including Gaelic Ireland-abandoned the Julian Calendar and opted for the Gregorian Calendar (1582) the English persisted with their symbolic stupidity, abandoning the Julian Calendar for the Gregorian Calendar as recently as 1752.

So don't be expecting them to have any less of a tendency to cut off their nose to spite their face with this latest evil European plot to undermine them. No matter how stupid DST is - the British created it in 1916, the same year they abolished Dublin Mean Time ("Irish Time"), as a means to conserve coal during WW I - English nationalists will be make DST a symbol of defiance and millions of morons will agree with them.
    Let them do what they like. For most people the only difference will be what time the soccer match or strictly come dancing is on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It’s never going to work until we all change to Swatch Internet Time.

Advertisement