Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planned city centre facelift.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Your Face wrote: »
    Personally, with how things went in the past, I'm somewhat dreading it.

My thoughts exactly.

While I agree in principle with a facelift/re-vamp, it’s the execution of it that would give me huge concern given what’s gone before it...Eyre Square, SQR, paving of Shop St et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Mr McGrath of Galway City Council says it should help bring people back into the city. If Sunday parking charges hadn’t been introduced then more people would venture in, if daily parking was better value more people would come in during the week. If buses showed up when they were supposed to that would certainly see more business in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

How are buses supposed to run to time if more people are driving in and adding to traffic as a result of your reduced parking charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

How are buses supposed to run to time if more people are driving in and adding to traffic as a result of your reduced parking charges?

Saw a cool thing the other day someone said to me it was called a bus lane? ..anyway it was a lane where private cars werent allowed use but a bus was allowed free reign in it
    Fookin cool thing it was

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there a list of projects that will go ahead, or is this just going to tun into another traffic thread?

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »

Saw a cool thing the other day someone said to me it was called a bus lane? ..anyway it was a lane where private cars werent allowed use but a bus was allowed free reign in it
    Fookin cool thing it was
    Really and what routes were these fantastic sounding things available on? Were they new ones in the city that we are actually talking about? Im assuming they must be as anyone with half a brain knows the current ones are largely ineffective. See can you come back with another good one there now. Give us all another great laugh or more insightful thoughts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Was the GLUAS included on the list of projects

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Does anyone remember the last eyre square fiasco ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Does anyone have any faith/hope in GCC being able to deliver any project of any scale??

They are the ultimate masters of huge hype/ mega fail, But at least they are accountable to no-one.

Well, it’s full rates at the moment and the buses do not run to time. It’s not that difficult to understand.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Is there a list of projects that will go ahead, or is this just going to tun into another traffic thread?

While I understand where you’re coming from, at the same time, if there was more incentive to go into the city then it would add to business and the general buzz of the city. While my point was about traffic it’s not Just about traffic.

Well, it’s full rates at the moment and the buses do not run to time. It’s not that difficult to understand.
    But you see that's largely incorrect. Most buses that don't run to time are during peak traffic, you're plan will lead to more cars going to the city centre, as is you're understanding of it. This will lead to more traffic at all times this impeding buses further, it's not that difficult to understand. Even if they don't run to time 100% of the time that's no reason to further inconvenience public transport in favour of private.

But you see that's largely incorrect. Most buses that don't run to time are during peak traffic, you're plan will lead to more cars going to the city centre, as is you're understanding of it. This will lead to more traffic at all times this impeding buses further, it's not that difficult to understand. Even if they don't run to time 100% of the time that's no reason to further inconvenience public transport in favour of private.

I think buses running to time 0% of the time is the problem the poster is referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your Face wrote: »

My take is that the comms person who wrote the press release hasn't been talking to the Heritage Officer lately: "completely change the face of the city centre" ... ahh, don't think that's going to be allowed. Hopefully they will fix the cobblestones, though.

Then it talks about " a new ‘Cultural Quarter’ in Dyke Road, the redevelopment of Sandy Road, the Docks and Nuns’ Island " Mmm, so the Docks is in the city centre. The rest are city-fringe. Bit confused there. This is the first I've heard of redevelopment of Nuns Island. I thought most of it was in private ownership?

And there's "Roughly 50% [of development] should be in the city centre and the balance will be in the suburbs, like with the new suburb in Ardaun," which tells me that this is about the pot of government money that will fund Ardaun even though it's a dumb idea now that the motorway off-ramp has been bulldozed thru the middle of the planned suburb.

I think buses running to time 0% of the time is the problem the poster is referring to.
    But that's not true so............ !

The plans read like pie in the sky stuff mostly from that link anyway. No point increasing city centre development without improving the public transport system to ship people in and out. The docks scheme is the one they should be putting their efforts and energy behind, is that still in the planning stages, long time since there's any news on it. Ceannt station? Eyre Square east development? These have all been mooted over the last ten years without any sign of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I wonder what the new "Cultural Quarter" entails? My guess is a new mosque and a halal factory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I wonder what the new "Cultural Quarter" entails? My guess is a new mosque and a halal factory.

Naw it’ll be more pubs and shops built n owned by the counsellors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The redevelopment of the Black Box.

A new library and arts space was proposed for the Dyke Road.
    Redevelopment of Nuns Island probably refers to the theatre.

• Advertisement

Official story is that the site's not large enough for the library to go there. My theory is that the weight of the books makes it too expensive to build a library on bogland.

Not sure what the status of the large performance space is.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Naw it’ll be more pubs and shops built n owned by the counsellors

Every pub should have a counsellor.

Redevelopment of Nuns Island probably refers to the theatre.
    There was a report in the Tribune last year about the library moving to the revamped Sandy Rd area, if that was to happen.

Ah. The councils have a big area between Sandy Road and Liosban. The small units beside Galway Bay FM are owned by the council I think and they back onto the council yards.

Any big things should be done along with taking out Cemetery Cross roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ah. The councils have a big area between Sandy Road and Liosban. The small units beside Galway Bay FM are owned by the council I think and they back onto the council yards.
    Which Council: Co or City?

Mearings wrote: »
    Every pub should have a counsellor.

Double jobbing as a limited inventory pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Why the need to bring people back into the city? every weekend the city is absolutely packed. I don't know do they officially measure footfall or if it's gone down.

I'd like to see some developments out of the city to reduce footfall into the city and thus traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

dinneenp wrote: »
    Why the need to bring people back into the city? every weekend the city is absolutely packed. I don't know do they officially measure footfall or if it's gone down.

I'd like to see some developments out of the city to reduce footfall into the city and thus traffic.
    Be careful what you wish for. That has been the start the the death of many towns and cities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

:D:D Yeah a factory is going to be very cultural alright. Maybe you should sit on the board with your fantastic suggestions ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

zell12 wrote: »
    Which Council: Co or City?

Both councils have yards there.

Advertisement