Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Dun Laoghaire city centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

giallo wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning to move to Dun Laoghaire city centre, precisely in Bentley Villas, George's Place.

As I'm moving from a rough area of Dublin 7, I just wanted to check if this area of Dun Laoghaire is safe and quiet.

I've noticed there is a Crosscare Homeless Supported Temporary Accommodation: http://www.casemanagementguidebook.ie/Case-Management-Listings/Accommodation---Homelessness/Supported-Temporary-Accommodation/Bentley-House-Homeless-Service.aspx

Does anyone live there who can tell me if the area is quiet and safe?

All I know is that the Bentley houses lots of people who have fallen through the cracks in life. Drug Addiction / Alcholism .

That's not to say it is not safe. I've never lived in it's environs so could not comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Don't live near there but have been to a few of the pubs nearby. Would never have struck me as somewhere dodgy though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Safe; yes by and large it is safe with little trouble.

Quiet; well there is one school of thought that the drug addicts and alcoholics add colour to the town and another that they are a nuisance and should be moved on by the Gardai. They certainly stand out, especially around Marine Road and can make a scene when a shouting match starts, but overall DL is a terrific place to live and this is probably the only negative about living locally.

I often park around there and I have always thought it looks fairly nice. always fancies popping in to McKennas for a pint as well.

it certainly doesn't look rough and it is a great location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

That part is a bit shady but still grand. Think about the group that hang out at the Smithfield LUAS stop. I presume you are renting? We looked at a house close to there and didn’t proceed because of the halfway house. We have young children and didn’t want to chance anything. On the flip side you are a stones throw from the waterfront the dart. Fantastic amenities in DL ( library, people’s Park , cinema, shopping etc ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Huge amount of gentrification pending in that Georges Place area, if thats your thing.

Bentley house is well run, it wouldnt concern me. McKennas is now a fab little pub, so to be near that and 2 mins from the harbour and Dart, id live there in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Worth it for the proximity to Scrumdiddlys alone imo! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

You mentioned you lived in a rough part of D7, Dun Laoghaire is nowhere near as rough as anywhere in the inner city. I've never seen any major trouble in DL there's a few rough looking types hanging about but they generally don't bite. DL does have a bit of a bad vibe at night as the town is very quiet by night as there aren't many places open no nightclubs or late night bars in the town.

Overall I would say Dun Laoghaire is very good place to live. You have excellent amenities at your doorstep plenty of nice places to go for a swim or a walk nearby, excellent bus routes and the DART, the library and a cinema around the corner and a large Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Bentley Villas is lovely, I know 2 people who were brought up there and could speak more highly of it, I've never heard of any trouble at all

21/25

Advertisement