Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No more Spring Forward, Fall Back

• 31-08-2018 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

The EU is to scrap the whole idea of changing the clocks for Daylight Savings Time. The idea was put to a vote among residents in the EU with 80% voting to scrap DST.

Did you vote? The actual turnout was very low - just 4.6 million took part, and 3 million of those were from Germany!

The clocks will stay in permanent summer time (which means there'll be no lie in later this year). A positive change? There goes my twice a year Googling of "what time is it now?"

https://www.buzz.ie/news/eu-announces-plans-end-daylight-savings-time-297748

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is now the third thread on this topic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

ve are changing ze clock yah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

biko wrote: »
    This is now the third thread on this topic :D

We all missed the survey, but heard the news :D Whoops!

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wasnt aware of any vote on such a serious matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I wasnt aware of any vote on such a serious matter
    Somebody in After Hours started a thread about it, and then bumped it just before the deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Somebody in After Hours started a thread about it, and then bumped it just before the deadline.

Yip, that was me. Looks like it was a success :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Is this really happening?

Will we remain closer to or further from the east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Never heard of any vote but would be very much in favour of staying on summer time all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I despise Daylight savings time. They should leave it the way it is forever all year round.

There may be a geographical case for Ireland to be in Greenwich Mean time -1 since a lot of the country is west of 7.5 degrees. GMT runs from 7.5 deg west to 7.5 deg east.

There is a slight handicap in conducting business west of the Shannon in that it feels like an hour earlier in terms of daylight when people get up for work. People in the east have the advantage of it being later in the morning sunwise then people in the west. Spain is the big aberration. They should be in GMT like Portugal but changed to ECT to be in tune with the Germans as did the French who also should be in GMT. All the Benelux, France and Spain should be in GMT like Portugal.

What reluctant risers like me need is a UV light to come on half an hour before rising. I find I have no problem getting up in the Summer when there is plenty of full spectrum daylight flooding in the window at 5.30 or so.

On the other hand I find getting up in the winter in the dark to be a huge task.

Science reckons its to do with UV light impinging on the pineal gland which is in the back of the head somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I'm looking forward to it being dark at 9am in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Fall???
    I voted for keeping summertime, ahh 14 hours of sunshine in December, can't wait

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

wow this is news to me, so will it be ditched for this year, as in at Halloween time or is it wait another year.

wat about the brits

I don't understand why it's always suggested we stay on summertime, look at the sunrise and sunset times around the year surely it would be better to stay on wintertime: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

wat about the brits

Yeah pontential to proper **** up the TV schedule

Advertisement