Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from disposable nappies to cloth re-usable nappies

• 31-08-2018 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

my parenting days are over - but with current news about disposable nappies taking 200-500 years to degrade in Landfill I was wondering how many parents have or are thinking of ditching disposable nappies in favour of re-usable ones ?

If you have already changed - how are you getting on regarding convenience, laundering them , any rashes on your babies or any disagreements with your babies and would/did you stick with them or go back to using disposable nappies again ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Used cloth nappies and wipes on my first two, they're out of the attic for imminent arrival of number three. Total no brainer to use and they've paid for themselves by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

lazygal wrote: »
    Used cloth nappies and wipes on my first two, they're out of the attic for imminent arrival of number three. Total no brainer to use and they've paid for themselves by now.

Congratulations on number 3 .

How convenient do you find them re washing etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Congratulations on number 3 .

How convenient do you find them re washing etc...

Easy. All into the machine, cold rinse, wash at 60 and line dry. Just depoo once they start solids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

There was some reaseach into the environmental impact of moving to cloth nappies a good few years ago(sponsored by pampers probably!) which said they were no more environmentally friendly than disposables after taking into account washing/drying/manufacturing. But I line dried mine, easy if you have enough and chose brands wisely. (bum genius elementals being one type that took forever to dry). And reuse on each child or pass on instead of buying new.
    They are better than disposable at holding in expolsive breastmilk poos as the edges are elaaticated, unlike disposables.
    Night times, where you can get a lot of liquid require a bigger, multilayered solution.
    I preferred cloth nappies. I found some disposibles smelled chemically and can cause rashes.
    Cloth nappies don't react well to nappy cream (can lose their absorbancy) which concerned me before I tried them but I discovered I didn't need nappy cream as rashes were no longer an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am using cloth with my 9 month old and love them. I do 2-3 washes a week. The workload is about ten minutes each wash as all I do is put them in the machine and then hang them out. I always think it's mad when people refer to how difficult it must be, like we are still back in the days of boiling and scrubbing. My son only ever has irritations if he is in disposables. The cloth nappies are so soft and if he does have a red bum from teething or whatever, using the cloth nappies kinda forces me to use more natural products on him, which is a good thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement