Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it standard practice for Eir sales reps to go around scanning wifi SSIDs?

Options
  • 31-08-2018 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I just had one call to the door to to tell me [font=GT Walsheim Regular, sans-serif]fibre extreme[/font] is now available. I told him I already had it. He so oh, you must have changed the name of your wifi, which I had. I know SSID are broadcast publicly to everyone in the area so it's not that it's a data protection problem.

Is scanning for SSIDs standard Eir rep practice?
    Why did the Rep not know I already had the service he was trying to sell?

I have just signed up for a 12 month trach for the exact service I need, what can I do to prevent further house calls from Eir sales reps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Letloose

Fire up a sign or something on the door

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

tuxy wrote: »
    Why did the Rep not know I already had the service he was trying to sell?
    Maybe he got his laptop with (your) customer data stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Na he was just checking if you were a customer already most people don't change their standard eir modem said so he uses that as a rule of thumb to know whether or not to bother knocking on your door.

Bit silly of him to mention that you changed your ssid.
    Maybe change it to ihaveeiralready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Na he was just checking if you were a customer already most people don't change their standard eir modem said so he uses that as a rule of thumb to know whether or not to bother knocking on your door.

Bit silly of him to mention that you changed your ssid.
    Maybe change it to ihaveeiralready
    If he works for Eir could he not use their database to see who is a customer? They could even use so kind of encryption on that database to prevent the data being compromised!

Seems pointless to send him to every house and not just target people who are no customers.

Advertisement