Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry is by far the hardest science

Options
  • 31-08-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I'm doing all 3 sciences and I enjoy it but chemistry is overwhelming so far. I don't mind it, I find the subject to be deeply interested but 5 people already have left and it's only the first week. I like the subject but I'm not sure if I'll be able to cope as we go along and reach the tougher topics. I studied some of it TY so I know what I got into but it's just so hard to remember it all unlike Biology which is a complete breeze and is easy to memorise and I have a knack for physics (favourite subject)

Chemistry is just on a completely different level compared to those two and I'm even finding it to be more overwhelming than Honors Maths which is strange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

I disagree!!

Personally i found Chemistry alot easier than biology (didnt do physics)

The majority of my Chemistry class said the same! In biology, there is so much definitions etc. to learn, wheras in chemistry, the exam questions are easy enough to approach imo, and i feel once you understand a concept in Chemistry, thats it, you will know it for a long time and one read over it again in a few months, and you remember it all!

Wheras in Biology, you can learn a definition and in 3 months, you will have to learn it again! Or respiration and photosynthesis, i feel its a lot harder to retain the information in biology!

I found myself spending loads of time doing the same thing in biology over again. Whersas in chemistry id only have to look over things once or twice!

Have ye started exam papers yet? Just give it time, and hopefully once you get to exam questions you will understand what i am saying!
    People in my chemistry class who also did biology all said the same and always did better in Chem than Bio!!
    I really enjoyed it and its my fav subject! We had such a good teacher which helped alot!

I am delighted you find biology a nice subject, and i really hope it stays that way for you! But you have yet to realise biology is the biggest course with LOADS and LOADS of information!

Best of luck in the next 2 years for LC!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Physics is much harder in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

As nicely illustrated above, different people tend to find different subjects easier / harder or more / less interesting.

It's only the first week, chin up and give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

I didn’t do physics but chemistry was real though for me too.

I hated the plants reproduction in Biology though.

I enjoyed Honours Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CfJr

Physics isn't too bad until you get a few months in, then it really becomes one of the worst subjects to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 royalthomas

Chemistry seems difficult at first but closer to the exams, it was one of the best subjects for me. The more exam papers you do, the more you understand what they expect of you and the easier it gets to study for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Chemistry seems difficult at first but closer to the exams, it was one of the best subjects for me. The more exam papers you do, the more you understand what they expect of you and the easier it gets to study for it.

I know a teacher friend of mine (who taught Bio and Chem) always said that for a group of students, there is an 'aha' moment in Chemistry where it all makes sense and it can then (for some) become very straightforward, but Biology, the amount of learning needed for that (and the strictness of the marking schemes in terms of what they accept or don't as answers) can make it really difficult to do well in.

Advertisement