Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Donald is perhaps definitely kinda NOT coming to Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I dont know why the Irish media is so obsessed with damaging Trump. Is it seriously to do with who owns most of the media. The negative coverage is relentless and very personal and tbh what DT does in not of huge interest to this country. Hoise prices and cost of living and hospital waiting lists are pressing concerns and DT has been done to death.
    Why should the media immediately be reporting what two light weight politicans are twittering about. Lots of Irish people would love DT to come, he has no airs and graces, what you see is what you get. I bet thousands of people will travel to see him and protesters will be the usual unemployed wasters and Arts students who have nothing better to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oops69 wrote: »
    So Hypocrite Leo can't court the hipsters vote with this issue like he did with the marriage equality and repeal the eight campaigns , So the Greens and and Labour are trying to do so now by calling for protests .... no calling for protests about 10,000 homeless or the appaling health service though from these two vote whoring parties .

Well thats not true

https://www.facebook.com/events/193824377998643/?ti=as

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/thousands-march-in-protest-over-housing-crisis-836240.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

may as well, the same as it costs in maintenance every other week of the year.

good stuff - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

The irony is he is the President of America and the people opposing him are
    PBP 1%, the Green Party 2%. The only large party is Sein Fein but that’s not credible. They both supported and criticized the Popes visit.

Also Boyd Barret is supporting an illegal occupation of someone else’s property and Sinn Fein are implicated in war crimes.

The hypocrisy is sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

tretorn wrote:
    I dont know why the Irish media is so obsessed with damaging Trump. Is it seriously to do with who owns most of the media. The negative coverage is relentless and very personal and tbh what DT does in not of huge interest to this country. Hoise prices and cost of living and hospital waiting lists are pressing concerns and DT has been done to death. Why should the media immediately be reporting what two light weight politicans are twittering about. Lots of Irish people would love DT to come, he has no airs and graces, what you see is what you get. I bet thousands of people will travel to see him and protesters will be the usual unemployed wasters and Arts students who have nothing better to do.

You need to read more. It's the world media. Maybe there is a huge conspiracy among the worlds news outlets, except fox news, or maybe there's a sliver of truth in what they are reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

tretorn wrote: »
    Normally decent people keep their dignity at funerals and hold their tongues in respect of the dead.
    Obama should get off the stage now too, he had his day and what do the poor of America have to show fir it. Obama should take another holiday jet skiing with Richard Branson, its handy to have friends with nice gaffs.

The McCain family also despise Trump.... You can complain all you want but Trump is not deserving of their respect and I suspect that this is ultimately the ceremony McCain would want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I was tired of hearing about him even before he was chosen as the Republican candidate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

There is only one way to deal with Trump's visit:
    Pull down your blinds, draw your curtains closed, stay indoors if you can. Do it even if you're in Hackballscross and he's not going there.
    Give him the welcome that Napoleon got in Moscow.
    Full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

feargale wrote: »
    Pull down your blinds, draw your curtains closed, stay indoors if you can. Do it even if you're in Hackballscross and he's not going there.

Pretty much impossible given all the hysterical whining and whinging going on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Trump got a roasting at Aretha's and John Mccain's funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Full stop.
    Had to Google it, it's in Co Louth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

123balltv wrote: »

You leave that stuff at the door

Didn't sit well with me

123balltv wrote: »

says alot more about them than Trump to be using funerals for such tbh

says alot more about them than Trump to be using funerals for such tbh

This is just about the dumbest post I've read all day.

Delusional much?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is just about the dumbest post I've read all day.

Delusional much?

Resorting to personal insults now because yet again you have noting else ? what a surprise.

Pretty much impossible given all the hysterical whining and whinging going on about it.

Hysterical?
    Ye lads could make balls of even a the simplest term like the midlands ?
    Have ye ever thought of a career in the public service ?
    The clue is in the name.
    I'll give ye another clue.
    Subtract all the counties on the coast and the border counties,
    and then if you still can't work it out from there, use some common sense, or ask someone who has some.

Oh yeah, hysterical. I guess so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Full stop.

Burn Dublin down? Eh :pac:

Hysterical?

Oh yeah, hysterical. I guess so.

Just proves you can't even find the midlands never mind anything else.
    Yes, you got spanked on the other forum and now you're being hysterical here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Trump, a five time draft dodging coward spent the last few years slagging off a genuine war hero. "He's not really a hero cos he got caught". He continued to hound this man for the last year knowing that he was dying. His dying wish was that trump not be allowed to his funeral.

And you think that the grieving family are in very bad taste?
    Ffs what planet are you living on?

McCain was more than happy to grind his axe with Trump as well. McCain was not some innocent victim in their war of words.

• Advertisement

Resorting to personal insults now because yet again you have noting else ? what a surprise.

Excuse me? I have not made any personal insults.

The post is delusional. It ignores all of facts. Totally ignores the torture trump put this hero & his family through all the while knowing that he was dying. People talk about respect at funerals. Should we not have the same respect while they are alive? Or while they are dying?

Definitely the most delusional post of the day & there were many delusional posts today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ebbsy wrote: »
    Trump for 2020 and then hopefully his son or daughter after that.

The US has adopted monarchy as a system of rule?

Yes.

It's called Trumpanomics.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Thought it was all illegals he wants out?

They are sucking on the tit of the US of A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Yes.

It's called Trumpanomics.

They tried to with the Clintons, but nobody was too fond of Hilary. Not to fond of Chelsea either.

JohnMc1 wrote:
    McCain was more than happy to grind his axe with Trump as well. McCain was not some innocent victim in their war of words.

I suggest that you haven't really followed this too closely the last few years. Anyone covering this topic has reported that McCain was very dignified throughout the whole affair.

Not even fox news will say the same about trump. It is a low life thing to hound a dying man publicly the way trump did.

Excuse me? I have not made any personal insults.

The post is delusional. It ignores all of facts. Totally ignores the torture trump put this hero & his family through all the while knowing that he was dying. People talk about respect at funerals. Should we not have the same respect while they are alive? Or while they are dying?

Definitely the most delusional post of the day & there were many delusional posts today

Using funerals to personally attack someone for political purposes is really respectful all right, while calling someone delusional . . . lol

• Advertisement

McCain shouldn't really have been allowed a vote on policy decisions...his brain was scrambled egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Taytoland wrote: »
    Funny how they say nothing on Merkel and Macron.

Whataboutery :rolleyes:

Obama bombing all those children, not a word said about it. Obama expanding spying on American citizens and thus breaching the liberty of American citizens, not a word said about it.

No outrage, no calls for impeachment by hysterical establishment left wingers.  Double standards is all it is.

You could always start a thread about the above, or just deflect, deflect, deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Hillary won the popular vote, just to remind you. The US public didn't elect Trump, the Electoral College did. Had it been public vote only, Hillary Clinton would be President now.

You can't say that. Both candidates fought the battle based on the electoral college system. They tailored their strategy based on that system. Under that system Hillary didn't wast time or money on very red states and Donald didn't waste his time on states that he thought he didn't have a chance in.

If the race was based on the popular vote they would both have a different strategy and we can't say how that would have panned out.

backspin. wrote: »
    Hillary won the popular vote, just to remind you. The US public didn't elect Trump, the Electoral College did. Had it been public vote only, Hillary Clinton would be President now.

You can't say that. Both candidates fought the battle based on the electoral college system. They tailored their strategy based on that system. Under that system Hillary didn't wast time or money on very red states and Donald didn't waste his time on states that he thought he didn't have a chance in.

If the race was based on the popular vote they would both have a different strategy and we can't say how that would have panned out.

And Hillary only got through because of the super delegates.

Id say a lot of Bernie supporters didn't vote at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Well he might not necessarily come come November if were lucky.....

https://www.joe.ie/news/report-donald-trump-impeached-638815

2h1ely.jpg

• Advertisement

Just proves you can't even find the midlands never mind anything else.
    Yes, you got spanked on the other forum and now you're being hysterical here.

Says the gorsoon who thinks Carrick-on-Suir is in the Midlands, and who couldn't leave a civilised, uncontroversial thread alone without vertically-challenged rudeness.
    I propose that nobody in short pants should be allowed to post in the net, and that naturally aggressive people should be obliged to work it off on the football field or in the boxing ring before graduating to cyber-opinionating.
    If big people were as aggressive as small people there wouldn't be any small people left in the world.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Burn Dublin down? Eh :pac:

:D No, not Dublin, whatever about Hackballscross. On second thoughts, maybe one or two bits of Dublin too.

Says the gorsoon who thinks Carrick-on-Suir is in the Midlands.

Given you're the one that didn't know where the midlands were, and even had to create a thread to find out, we'll take that very false claim with a pinch of salt. In fact I would be very happy to go said false claim with you on the correct thread again if you like.
    I propose that nobody in short pants should be allowed to post in the net, and that naturally aggressive people should be obliged to work it off on the football field or in the boxing ring before graduating to cyber-opinionating.
    If big people were as aggressive as small people there wouldn't be any small people left in the world.

Sure as soon as you've practiced what you preach and calm down, come back and tell us about how it went for you (after you get over your height and geography issues).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

McCain shouldn't really have been allowed a vote on policy decisions...his brain was scrambled egg.

So is Trumps, but at least McCain was ill.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Already a firm is leaving Dublin to head back to the US because of his tax policies.

I missed that one. Which one, out of interest, and did they make it clear it was due to the tax policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Wasn’t he a friend of uncle Gerry Adams.? Interesting to see how the terrorist’s political party who are apparently lefties respond to this. No doubt they will fawn all over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

I missed that one. Which one, out of interest, and did they make it clear it was due to the tax policies?

Off the top of my head it is Afilias. I dunno the finer details of the move but remember reading that the tax changes were a definite infuence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Can't remember the name but was referenced in the Irish Times. Relocating back to Philadelphia and Trump's tax policy was cited as the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reeling in the years 2018 is going to be some episode

Were they not the trailor park inhabitants of the American red flyover states and the racist thickos of Bolton and other areas of Northern England that made 2016 the year of the idiot?

• Advertisement

Good to see a thread more representative of the shifting attitudes, that I see anyway, regarding Trump.
    In real life, I'm seeing less hysteria and more conversation about the media's role in all this, and I work with three Americans who really dislike the man and still can't believe he is president.

That sort of conversation happened this week when I met a friend for Wednesday beers. Google "trump warns of violence midterms" if you want to see what we were talking about.

The usuals on here will defend those publications by saying that headlines like Trump warns of ‘violence’ if Republicans lose fall elections are fine. But everyone else can see how blatantly manipulative it is. I know that's what I thought and on reading the article and am obviously going to be more distrustful of anti-Trump news than before. That has been happening since the dossier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My Canadian family reminded me that he planned to go to Kenya then dumped the idea. He has just fallen out with Canada too....

Well, I will stay here on my tiny island..watch from afar...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

.243 wrote: »
    no just actual facts,you can look them up yourself

Clinton Administration: The 1997 Flores Settlement says unaccompanied children who are caught at the border can only be held in immigrant detention for up to 20 days (this was later expanded to include children accompanied by their parents). After that they must be released to their parents, adult relatives or other caretakers or the "least restrictive" setting, in that order. The Trump administration has said it wants to see the settlement overturned.

George W. Bush Administration: In 2008, President George W. Bush signed the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act into law, which required unaccompanied minors from non-neighboring countries (all countries except Mexico and Canada) to be turned over the Department of Health and Human Services for resettlement within three days.

Obama Administration: In 2016, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that child migrants who came to the border with parents and were held in custody must be released. The decision did not state parents must be released.

The first two are irrelevant because we are not talking about unaccompanied minors. It's not an unaccompanied minor if it's one the government take from their parents. The third one is a judgement. Not sure how you can blame it on the Obama administration when it was a judicial decision. But it is still irrelevant because it is the Trump administration who decided to start prosecuting all those parents. And they didn't release the kids anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Excellent. Must book some time in the Doonbeg hotel.
    Have to go to welcome him to Ireland and show we're not all bleeding heart lefties :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Last few pages have really become more like The_Donald subreddit. Mocking of veteran who died of brain cancer... Complaining that the funeral of a politician relates to the politics of the day. Some bizarre revisionism of Trump's behaviour to make it look like McCain was at fault... Any plans to bring qanon conspiracies in?

batgoat wrote:
    Last few pages have really become more like The_Donald subreddit. Mocking of veteran who died of brain cancer... Complaining that the funeral of a politician relates to the politics of the day. Some bizarre revisionism of Trump's behaviour to make it look like McCain was at fault... Any plans to bring qanon conspiracies in?

I believe the correct term is victim blaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

vladmydad wrote: »
    The irony is he is the President of America and the people opposing him are
    PBP 1%, the Green Party 2%. The only large party is Sein Fein but that’s not credible. They both supported and criticized the Popes visit.

Also Boyd Barret is supporting an illegal occupation of someone else’s property and Sinn Fein are implicated in war crimes.

The hypocrisy is sickening.

No.

You're wrong. Sinn Fein have said nothing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    A government that , cannot afford to pay nurses a decent salary, provide houses for our citizens, or keep our post offices open, etc.etc
    Is going to spend millions on a visitor that I am sure the vast majority of citizens do not want.
    Compare Irish nurses salaries and their workload with other E.U. countries and you will find them doing allright. They're not all employed in A and E and ran off their feet

Just read an article on Independent.ie.It quotes Aodain O'Riordan as saying he believes Irish people will be horrified by President Trump's visit.I will not be horrified and do not need politicians believing they are speaking for me or for others.
    Whether we like it or not Donald Trump is the Head Of State of a country with very close ties to Ireland.

You just accept what Aodain says. He is a member of the Labour Party and as such knows what is best for the great unwashed

• Advertisement

No.

You're wrong. Sinn Fein have said nothing.

As usual they have to wait and see how the wind blows before coming out and giving leadership. Three houses Gerry is probably too busy sorting out a few rooms for the homeless

Advertisement