Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Donald is perhaps definitely kinda NOT coming to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ebbsy wrote: »
    McCain shouldn't really have been allowed a vote on policy decisions...his brain was scrambled egg.

Were they not the trailor park inhabitants of the American red flyover states and the racist thickos of Bolton and other areas of Northern England that made 2016 the year of the idiot?

With regard to the UK you need to try walking around Liverpool , Newcastle etc to see how neglected those areas are.

McCain shouldn't really have been allowed a vote on policy decisions...his brain was scrambled egg.

Were they not the trailor park inhabitants of the American red flyover states and the racist thickos of Bolton and other areas of Northern England that made 2016 the year of the idiot?

With regard to the UK you need to try walking around Liverpool , Newcastle etc to see how neglected those areas are.

Indeed. Try telling somebody whose job has been outsourced to Taiwan how the EU helps them. It won't bring back jobs but can be a comfort to know your country can make its own laws without having to worry about the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Edgware wrote: »
    As usual they have to wait and see how the wind blows before coming out and giving leadership. Three houses Gerry is probably too busy sorting out a few rooms for the homeless

Nah.

Sinn Fein want to welcome and protest him so they are trying to figure out how.

Remember they get lots of cash from Donald and his buddies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

cournioni wrote:
    What way will you be educating them?

Much as you don't seem to like it, in the western world a country's citizens all have a right to vote - it's called democracy. Perhaps you'd like a selective sort of democracy, such as voting rights confined to those who earn a certain amount, those of a certain religion or non, those who speak two languages, those who have a degree, those with black hair or the wrong skin colour. The list is endless for ways to exclude democracy from the ALL the people. Beware however, you might not make the grade if IQ was a determinant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Infini wrote: »
    Well he might not necessarily come come November if were lucky.....

https://www.joe.ie/news/report-donald-trump-impeached-638815

2h1ely.jpg

I'd say keep grasping for those straws but Democrats are in the process of banning them in California.

• Advertisement

Nah.

Sinn Fein want to welcome and protest him so they are trying to figure out how.

Remember they get lots of cash from Donald and his buddies.

So did all of those Democrats that are out infront of a camera crying and saying he's "Literally Hitler". They had no problem cashing donation checks from him for years. I wonder what changed. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Infini wrote: »
    Well he might not necessarily come come November if were lucky.....

https://www.joe.ie/news/report-donald-trump-impeached-638815

2h1ely.jpg

I'd say keep grasping for those straws but Democrats are in the process of banning them in California.
    Impeachment by November is unlikely. Further arrests of his associates by then are likely including potentially family members. Plus they'll be losing at least one house in the midterms. Republicans may not be such a big fan of by then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Any leader of the free world who is hated by the media, social media and the likes of Boyd Barrett are ok in my book.

batgoat wrote: »
    Impeachment by November is unlikely. Further arrests of his associates by then are likely including potentially family members. Plus they'll be losing at least one house in the midterms. Republicans may not be such a big fan of by then..

Keep telling yourself that.

Keep telling yourself that.
    But we already have numerous arrests of associates plus his CFO has been granted immunity. That's to date. It's obvious that more will occur...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

But we already have numerous arrests of associates plus his CFO has been granted immunity. That's to date. It's obvious that more will occur...

Unless he gets caught with a smoking gun, though, I doubt he'll go down. Certainly not before the midterms.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Unless he gets caught with a smoking gun, though, I doubt he'll go down. Certainly not before the midterms.
    Definitely nothing prior to midterms in terms of him being thrown out. If his family members end up arrested that could end up shifting things though.

It's a bit mean to have the guys over in the politics thread miss out on this A+ literotica.

I love how the Left keeps praying for this smoking gun to emerge. Only to end up more frustrated because it never appears.

Stupid **** like this is why he'll get re-elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I love how the Left keeps praying for this smoking gun to emerge. Only to end up more frustrated because it never appears.

Stupid **** like this is why he'll get re-elected.
    +1
    Trump is not getting impeached just because a few people don't like him.
    He IS your president people, for the next 2 years at least and probably for the next 6. DEAL. Put your big boy pants on.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

do you mean any evidence ? yeah any evidence before making accusations would be a nice change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

do you mean any evidence ? yeah any evidence before making accusations would be a nice change.

There's a difference between evidence and a smoking gun.

A prosecution can present evidence of varying degrees of strength. The "smoking gun" would be top of this list. The phrase means that, unless they actually caught him red-handed with NO escape, he will withstand any other evidence regurdless of strength. Even if it's "beyond reasonable doubt" which is generally the accepted standard of strength to secure a conviction.

There's a difference between evidence and a smoking gun.

A prosecution can present evidence of varying degrees of strength. The "smoking gun" would be top of this list. The phrase means that, unless they actually caught him red-handed with NO escape, he will withstand any other evidence regurdless of strength. Even if it's "beyond reasonable doubt" which is generally the accepted standard of strength to secure a conviction.

you mean actual evidence of any guilt, instead of claiming someone is guilty until proven innocent.

It's amazing what people will swallow from the media without question.

What I said:
    he will withstand any other evidence regurdless of strength. Even if it's "beyond reasonable doubt" which is generally the accepted standard of strength to secure a conviction

What I did not say:
    you mean actual evidence of any guilt, instead of claiming someone is guilty until proven innocent.

What I said:

What I did not say:

So what's your evidence of Trumps guilt then ?

• Advertisement

So what's your evidence of Trumps guilt then ?

Em... serious question, but are you actually reading my posts before you reply to them?

First you somehow read that I said they only need "evidence" when it was clear that I hadn't, and now you somehow misread that I actually possess said evidence...?!

Or do you think I'm the FBI?

Ive been in Liverpool a few times. Its not the EU thats the fault of the conditions but generations of bad domestic governance. Feed the people lies and scapegoats and you’ll get ‘democracy’ to do anything you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't think there is much to gain with impeachment procedure at this stage. He is an idiot of that there is no doubt so it would be better to let the legal process rumble there is obviously a lot more to uncover. Impeachment now would create a martyr figure and this would just strengthen his base. The sort that shout and roar at rallies about "lock her up" and "build the wall" are not interested in things like facts and laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

And thats exactly what the media are doing, feeding people lies about Trump because Trump wont be bullied by the media and he can use twitter to give his version of events.

The media said he kept the Queen waiting, eg he is an ignorant boor. Trump posted that in fact he was early for the Queen and she in fact kept him waiting. Some media people confirmed that Trumps version was correct but this fact was hidden in the cares and acres of space given to false information.

Trump isnt doing a bad job, he was right to talk to the North Koreans, talk is always good even if you dont trust your enemy as far as you could throw him. Obama had no success with getting the young American out of North Korea but Trump did manage to get him released even though he was near death when he arrived home. This was absolutely dreadful but more dreadful for his family would be never getting him home and never knowing whether he was alive or dead.

Trump is absolutely correct about suspending immigration from countries whose citizens are a threat to the US. If you want to get into the States or anywhere else then apply legally. Dont get the money together to buy yourself a flight and then present yourself as a persecuted refugee.

Was he actually invited?

TCM wrote: »
    Much as you don't seem to like it, in the western world a country's citizens all have a right to vote - it's called democracy. Perhaps you'd like a selective sort of democracy, such as voting rights confined to those who earn a certain amount, those of a certain religion or non, those who speak two languages, those who have a degree, those with black hair or the wrong skin colour. The list is endless for ways to exclude democracy from the ALL the people. Beware however, you might not make the grade if IQ was a determinant.

Hmmm, so you’re happy to put a multi-sectoral issue that the Brexit vote actually was to a simple in/out vote to an electorate, of whom many didnt know what they were voting on to those who wanted to kick ‘dem bloody foreigners’ out. Businesses worth billions employing hundreds of thousands may be at risk over all this. Its not my IQ that mightnt make grade my friend......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Was he actually invited?

Twice. By Enda & Leo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Are the deluded right wing nut jobs on this thread genuinely based in Ireland?

I wonder what people’s reaction would be if the heading read “ US President is coming to Ireland”? We’d probably be tearing the place up looking for Irish ancestors!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Maybe if DT hadn't made sexist, racist, xenophobic remarks about other people, then I wouldn't be too worried about his visit. I hope he is sorry for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I wonder what people’s reaction would be if the heading read “ US President is coming to Ireland”? We’d probably be tearing the place up looking for Irish ancestors!

Like Obama? He wasn't a racist, misogynist criminal though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nermal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

laugh wrote: »
    Like Obama? He wasn't a racist, misogynist criminal though?

No he just talked smooth but his actions helped destroy Syria and Libya and fuel the immigrant invasion of Europe. He also vetoed the writing down of a significant portion of our debt to bondholders.

Grand though because he says nice things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Good to see a thread more representative of the shifting attitudes, that I see anyway, regarding Trump.
    In real life, I'm seeing less hysteria and more conversation about the media's role in all this, and I work with three Americans who really dislike the man and still can't believe he is president.

That sort of conversation happened this week when I met a friend for Wednesday beers. Google "trump warns of violence midterms" if you want to see what we were talking about.

The usuals on here will defend those publications by saying that headlines like Trump warns of ‘violence’ if Republicans lose fall elections are fine. But everyone else can see how blatantly manipulative it is. I know that's what I thought and on reading the article and am obviously going to be more distrustful of anti-Trump news than before. That has been happening since the dossier.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/trump-warns-violence-republicans-lose-fall-lections-57476909

It's weird your criticizing the media reporting his OWN words. Would you prefer them not report his OWN words. How is it Manipulative that the media are reporting his OWN words?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Personally, I'm delighted to see DT, the leader of a country that has given so much to this island and given so many Irish people jobs in his own country throughout the years, coming here. As a Briton, I have to recognise that the American people has also been very good to us. As for Obama, I thought that his faux Irish act was insulting to the Irish. Has he been over to accept his freedom of the city award yet?
    As usual they have to wait and see how the wind blows before coming out and giving leadership. Three houses Gerry is probably too busy sorting out a few rooms for the homeless

SF are going to have to navigate through this very careful. Trump was a well known supporter of the Irish community in NY and he attended dinners hosted by the community on a number of occasions. I've been told that he's spent time with Adams in the past at these dinners but I can't confirm that. Like him or loathe him, we all know that Trump isn't afraid to speak out. If SF criticizes him, god only knows what he is likely to come out with to counter that.

• Advertisement

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/trump-warns-violence-republicans-lose-fall-lections-57476909

It's weird your criticizing the media reporting his OWN words. Would you prefer them not report his OWN words. How is it Manipulative that the media are reporting his OWN words?.

ABC and the vast majority: Trump warns of 'violence' if Republicans lose fall elections

BBC and a couple of somewhat respectable publications: Trump warns of 'left-wing violence' if Democrats win mid-term elections

I know you hate me Winnie but some constraint might work in your favour here. You're going to look like an absolute clown if you try to argue that the first wording is representative of what Trump was saying. It is without doubt written to sound like Trump is threatening to get his goon Trumpeteers out in force.

I don't have a problem with the media reporting what he said. My point was that millions of people are seeing past those headlines and it's making them more doubtful of the negative Trump news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ABC and the vast majority: Trump warns of 'violence' if Republicans lose fall elections

BBC and a couple of somewhat respectable publications: Trump warns of 'left-wing violence' if Democrats win mid-term elections

I know you hate me Winnie but some constraint might work in your favour here. You're going to look like an absolute clown if you try to argue that the first wording is representative of what Trump was saying. It is without doubt written to sound like Trump is threatening to get his goon Trumpeteers out in force.

I don't have a problem with the media reporting what he said. My point was that millions of people are seeing past those headlines and it's making them more doubtful of the negative Trump news.
    I mean, the statement is complete bollix in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭.243

The first two are irrelevant because we are not talking about unaccompanied minors. It's not an unaccompanied minor if it's one the government take from their parents. The third one is a judgement. Not sure how you can blame it on the Obama administration when it was a judicial decision. But it is still irrelevant because it is the Trump administration who decided to start prosecuting all those parents. And they didn't release the kids anyway.

Ok then I’ll put it to you this way,
    You show me actual factual evidence that trump implemented a law to separate illegal immigrant children from their illegal immigrant parents entering the u.s illegally

.243 wrote: »
    Ok then I’ll put it to you this way,
    You show me actual factual evidence that trump implemented a law to separate children from their parents
    They won't find it of course.
    It's just the usual bleeding heart lefty hate for trump and the GOP

Nixonbot wrote: »
    I mean, the statement is complete bollix in the first place.

It wasn't a statement. It was a private conversation.

• Advertisement

The media where reporting the presidents Own words . It really isn't that hard to understand. How do the media interpret what he said that doesn't make him out to be the absolute clown that he is.

I don't hate you, you praised my rugby analysis in a thread about something else, which only could flatter me.

It wasn't a statement. It was a private conversation.

Well, what word did he actually use?

I mean, if the media were against him, they would have used a stronger word than "warns of". Not sure they could have gone as far as "threatens", but "suggests"?

Whether it's in private conversation or not makes no difference. If you're a politician, you're a politician 24/7.

Maybe if DT hadn't made sexist, racist, xenophobic remarks about other people, then I wouldn't be too worried about his visit. I hope he is sorry for them.

You left out homophobic, bigot, misogynistic, racist, small hands and bad hair.

3/9. Looks like Ad homien arguments never mind any actual political policy discussion aren't what they used to be any more.

The media where reporting the presidents Own words . It really isn't that hard to understand.

I'm not surprised you think those headlines mean the same thing. It just cements my view of you as someone not worth talking to. Not because of your opinions, but because of your ability to reason.

I mean, if the media were against him, they would have used a stronger word than "warns of". Not sure they could have gone as far as "threatens", but "suggests"?

Whether it's in private conversation or not makes no difference. If you're a politician, you're a politician 24/7.

He said that a win for the left could inspire Antifa to act violently basically, and he didn't want violence. There was no big message. It was just him rambling in private.

It got framed to make it look like he was conspiring to create violence. It isn't even worth arguing and I really have no respect for anyone who can't see that. I was making the point that this media trickery isn't working as well as it used to.

Your condescension is highly amusing.

Anyway your issue is with Trump himself and not the media reporting his OWN words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Berserker wrote: »
    Personally, I'm delighted to see DT, the leader of a country that has given so much to this island and given so many Irish people jobs in his own country throughout the years, coming here. As a Briton, I have to recognise that the American people has also been very good to us. As for Obama, I thought that his faux Irish act was insulting to the Irish. Has he been over to accept his freedom of the city award yet?

SF are going to have to navigate through this very careful. Trump was a well known supporter of the Irish community in NY and he attended dinners hosted by the community on a number of occasions. I've been told that he's spent time with Adams in the past at these dinners but I can't confirm that. Like him or loathe him, we all know that Trump isn't afraid to speak out. If SF criticizes him, god only knows what he is likely to come out with to counter that.

The spinners will be in knots over this. Great to see. If they step out of line then maybe the Donald will refer to Gerry’s nonce brother. Who knows?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

The thing about it is as a 40+ man who was a liberal in his youth drink drugs unmarried father etc

I am now lumped into being "right wing" because I don't agree with the direction society is taking

Right wing to me then were very nasty bastards skinhead,boots violence BNP combat 18 that were around at the time

Am I now right wing according to today's standards?
    As you get older you get more conservative and see left wing politics for what it is.

The thing about it is as a 40+ man who was a liberal in his youth drink drugs unmarried father etc

I am now lumped into being "right wing" because I don't agree with the direction society is taking

Right wing to me then were very nasty bastards skinhead,boots violence BNP combat 18 that were around at the time

Am I now right wing according to today's standards?

Society in general has moved to the extreme left.
    Therefore anyone who was moderate left 30 years ago could conceivably be classed as right wing now.
    And, to add to that, anyone mentioning welfare reform or immigration control is automatically labelled as far right.

I was always right wing but I'm seeing a growth of people on the right now that are disillusioned with the bearded lefty nonsense that is almost ubiquitous in all forms of media. It's a sad state of affairs when Fox and Breitbart are closer to the truth than CNN

Your condescension is highly amusing.

Anyway your issue is with Trump himself and not the media reporting his OWN words.

There's this lovely place called the politics forum. Go back there and try to get everyone banned with your feigned stupidity. I'm not falling for it here.

The media where reporting the presidents Own words . It really isn't that hard to understand.

I'm not surprised you think those headlines mean the same thing. It just cements my view of you as someone not worth talking to. Not because of your opinions, but because of your ability to reason.

He said that a win for the left could inspire Antifa to act violently basically, and he didn't want violence. There was no big message. It was just him rambling in private.

It got framed to make it look like he was conspiring to create violence. It isn't even worth arguing and I really have no respect for anyone who can't see that. I was making the point that this media trickery isn't working as well as it used to.
    So if it was private, where his exact words reported? How do you know what he said?

The 'left' (is assume he'd be more likely to use the word 'Democrats') have win t before and there has been no violence. I find it curious that he'd suggest it now.

Would the violence not be more likely to come from more traditionally right-wing groups, being more upset with the results?

• Advertisement
Advertisement