Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 31-08-2018 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hello I was just wondering if someone could shed some light the following situation. I have recently received documentation from a Government Agency in which they have documented false information in relation to my family and I. I have of course spoke with them however I have been told that it can only be corrected on file and resubmitted. It would be very sensitive information and not only that but the agency in question seem to have decided to completely stop all forms of communication with me. I suppose I would like to hear from people that may have had the same or similar experience as I have had and as to what you might suggest or rights I have in relation to this scenario. Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi titch. I'm afraid I've read your post 4 times and I appreciate that you don't want to be identified but I'd find it impossible to help you without at least a little more info,
    What do you mean "corrected on file and resubmitted"?
    What did you submit?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

titch14 wrote: »
    hello I was just wondering if someone could shed some light the following situation. I have recently received documentation from a Government Agency in which they have documented false information in relation to my family and I. I have of course spoke with them however I have been told that it can only be corrected on file and resubmitted. It would be very sensitive information and not only that but the agency in question seem to have decided to completely stop all forms of communication with me. I suppose I would like to hear from people that may have had the same or similar experience as I have had and as to what you might suggest or rights I have in relation to this scenario. Thanks a million.

Much like the previous poster without more information its hard to reply helpfully...

However in general your rights to know what information has been recorded by a government department is protected under Data Protection (Excluding an garda siochana).

You can request a copy of the information/ record that you believe to be inaccurate and request that it be corrected. (Again this excludes AGS)

They may ask you to provide prove that the 'new information' your providing is in fact correct although it may also be sufficient to prove the original information is incorrect (not the same thing).

Again it really depends on what documentation your refering too and what impact it had on a decision being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Don't reply to this if you don't want to but if the agency is TUSLA (sounds like TUSLA from your description)then you are entitled to at least apply to the legal aid board to be means tested for legal representation, and TUSLA should have informed you of this.
    Here is where you will find a legal aid center
    https://www.legalaidboard.ie/en/Contact-Us/Find-a-Law-Centre/

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If something has been recorded incorrectly, then it would seem the only thing for you to do is submit the correct information (with supporting proof) and have it corrected on file in the relevant department. It sounds like that is what they have asked you to do.

What's the problem?

They cannot take the word of someone over the phone that information is incorrect and change it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 titch14

I didn't submit correct info over a phone. I met in person with a senior manager and asked as to how do they intend to rectify the major issue they had caused. I have yet to hear anything back. I suppose I just wanted a bit of advice. That's all. I do understand having to be vague with info as this is the Internet after all however if someone had or has had the same experience I oukd live to know what do I do from here. This agency seem to be a law on to their own. And what they are doing with peoples information and how they are dealing with it is terribly shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

titch14 wrote: »
    I didn't submit correct info over a phone. I met in person with a senior manager and asked as to how do they intend to rectify the major issue they had caused. I have yet to hear anything back. I suppose I just wanted a bit of advice. That's all. I do understand having to be vague with info as this is the Internet after all however if someone had or has had the same experience I oukd live to know what do I do from here. This agency seem to be a law on to their own. And what they are doing with peoples information and how they are dealing with it is terribly shocking.

While this is the internet and of course you should naturally be cautious. on boards your using a nickname/code name and so no one knows who you are or where your from, i do think you are being overly vague for anyone to provide meaningful advice in your situation.

Nevertheless, in honesty I think you need to contact the Data Protection Officer in that government department and highlight your issue with them. If they don't response to you within 14 days or if the response does not resolve the issue you can lodge a complaint with the data protection commission.

the data protection commission website provides advice on your rights and a template for the letter you should send to the government agency.

Here is a their website:
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/

Here is a useful booklet on your rights:
    http://gdprandyou.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Rights-of-Individuals-under-the-General-Data-Protection-RegulationAmendedApril.pdf

Hope this helps

Advertisement