Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property chain estate agent question

Options
  • 01-09-2018 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We are interested in purchasing a property which is currently for sale. I think it is a probate sale, so the sellers don't need ready cash to move themselves. From my point of view, I will need to sell my own house before I can complete the purchase.

My main query is, what is the norm regarding estate agents? Should I give the listing for my house to the agent brokering the deal on the place we want to buy or can I use an agent of my choosing?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Hi there,

We are interested in purchasing a property which is currently for sale. I think it is a probate sale, so the sellers don't need ready cash to move themselves. From my point of view, I will need to sell my own house before I can complete the purchase.

My main query is, what is the norm regarding estate agents? Should I give the listing for my house to the agent brokering the deal on the place we want to buy or can I use an agent of my choosing?

It can help you emerge as purchaser if you get the same agent. You should check his abilities and reputation out, however. Get 3 valuations for your own house before you approach the agent. Ask around about the agent and check that you are happy with what he is doing with the property you are interested in. What is the website like, brochures, timekeeping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi there,

No, do not. EA would be receiving seperate fees from two people on transactions you are involved in, knowing that both depend on you selling your house. The temptation may be there to advise you to accept an offer quickly so the second sale can proceed. Also, they would be privy after the sale of your house, to the amount of money you have available to purchase the house you want. Best to keep them separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

You have both pretty much laid out my 2 trains of thought on the matter!Anyway, we will go look at the house again next week and see what comes of it.

Advertisement