Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly rent payment

Options
  • 01-09-2018 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone, first of all I want to apologise if there is any similar thread, but for me it's so urgent to find an answers for my renting problems.

So let's start. Last month I've found a property advertising on Daft.ie for 1080e per month. I went for a viewing and I got the apartment. During my conversation with the LL I understood that monthly rent is 1080 which the LL have confirmed, except that she wants to be paid weekly, which is 270. I agreed and I signed the contract (renting book). I really want to pay monthly rent because I didn't agree to pay 13 months in the year.

What are my rights if anyone can tell me? I read the contract and signed, but LL didn't say anything about 13 months and that the rent is not 1080, instead is gonna be 1170. I insisted to be pay through debit card standing order which she refused as she want to collect cash every Saturday. If she would let me know about all those details I wouldn't sign the contract.

Thanks for any help guys! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

1,080 monthly is not 270 weekly, it's 249.23. She's either stupid and just dividing 1,080 by four or she's taking the piss. Tell her you'll be paying 1,080 x 12 / 52.

In terms of paying weekly, it doesn't materially affect your rights once you have a lease in place but I'd be concerned on her insistence on collectin it in person. A landlord calling in weekly is affecting your peaceful enjoyment of the property, imo. Wanting cash is a red flag too. You'll get people on here saying she's perfectly entitled to ask for cash and there's nothing wrong with it, but in this day and age there's usually only one reason for it. Insist on receipts if you do agree to go down this road. And for the love of God, make sure the tenancy is registered with the PRTB.

I know what the market is like so walking away is easier said than done, but if you're going ahead, proceed with extreme caution. Everything here is pointing towards the potential for hassle and shenanigans.

Edit: took out Euro symbols, the app hates them for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Is the lease just recorded in a rent book? Does it refer to €270 or €1080?

Effects wrote:
    That’s not always the case. I collect my rent in cash each month. It’s mainly so I can keep an eye on the place. I’ve had really bad tenants in the past. It’s a bit more of a hassle but gives me pease of mind. They’ve got a rent book which is signed when I’m there.

Hence the qualifier "usually".

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

1080 a month is 249.23 per week, tell you LL to buy a calculator.
    Is your LL trying to pull a past one or completely stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

Boss.Co wrote: »
    she wants to be paid weekly, which is 270. I agreed and I signed the contract (renting book).

Regardless of what the daft advert said, you were told that you would be charged 270 weekly and you agreed!
    I really want to pay monthly rent because I didn't agree to pay 13 months in the year.

From the sounds of it, you didn't agree to pay for 13 months, but you did agree to 52 weeks.

If everything is in line with any previous rent for that house, and you agreed for pay 270 weekly, I don't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Boss.Co

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Is the lease just recorded in a rent book? Does it refer to €270 or €1080?

It says 270e.

I knew that on the beginning, and she was here now "explaining" to me. I said that I know that there is 52 weeks and I agreed to pay 270e per week, but at the end it looks like there is 13 months, and that's what I said to her. On the top of that she just said ;you are paying weekly not monthly and a year has 52 weeks.

I don't mind to pay but it's not fair and I wanted to see what are my options.
    And how it looks like, I'm screwed with old lame renting tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’re paying €270 a eeek. That’s what you signed up to.

Incidentally, that works our at €14040 a year, which is equal to 12 * €1170.

Fact is you’ve agreed to pay €270 *52

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

moans3536 wrote:
    1080 a month is 249.23 per week, tell you LL to buy a calculator. Is your LL trying to pull a past one or completely stupid.

1080 * 13 /52 = €270.

Seems a scummy way of going about business. Everyone would presume monthly means the 12 months of the year, not a 4 week period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'm confused here. You agreed to 270 per week. It appears you suddenly don't want to do that and want to pay about 10% less?

There's 52 weeks in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Boss.Co

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I'm confused here. You agreed to 270 per week. It appears you suddenly don't want to do that and want to pay about 10% less?

If you can to throw your money away I'm glad for you, but I can't. Plus due to my schedule I can't always be here to leave some cash to collect, that's why I wanted to pay DD monthly.

• Advertisement

If you can to throw your money away I'm glad for you, but I can't. Plus due to my schedule I can't always be here to leave some cash to collect, that's why I wanted to pay DD monthly.

Why did you agree to 270 weekly rent if you can't afford it?

It's not the landlord's fault you appeared unaware of there being more than 4 weeks in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The question is whether you're over/underpaying based on the market around you.

You signed the contract that specifically stated it was 270 weekly, meaning ~1170 monthly (which is what you should have pointed out to the landlord, and if you wanted to, report to Daft as a misleading advertisement, but also likely not taken the apartment at all).

However, you knew the details upon signing the contract, so there's no legal recourse available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Are you in a Rent Pressure Zone? If so you might have recourse through the RTB. Although it's bad form to agree to something then go back on it.

Bubbaclaus wrote:
    I'm confused here. You agreed to 270 per week. It appears you suddenly don't want to do that and want to pay about 10%

My reading of it is that the apartment was advertised at 1,080 a month and then when he viewed and said he wanted it, he was told the rent was payable weekly and that the weekly amount is 270. The landlady is either crap at maths or pulling a fast one and I know which one my money's on. Unfortunately the OP signed an agreement to pay that much so his recourse is essentially none.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It says 270e.

I knew that on the beginning, and she was here now "explaining" to me. I said that I know that there is 52 weeks and I agreed to pay 270e per week, but at the end it looks like there is 13 months, and that's what I said to her. On the top of that she just said ;you are paying weekly not monthly and a year has 52 weeks.

I don't mind to pay but it's not fair and I wanted to see what are my options.
    And how it looks like, I'm screwed with old lame renting tricks.

There are 13 lunar months in the year and 12 calendar months. Did the ad say calendar months or lunar months?

The bottom line is that the OP has agreed to a rent of 270 per week but seemingly only wants to pay it for 48 out of the 52 weeks in the year and not pay any rent for the other 4 weeks.

Advertisement