Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two time zones in Ireland after Brexit

• 01-09-2018 11:20am

After hearing the news yesterday that the EU are planning to scrap the twice yearly changing of the clock, could it be possible that we could be faced with a situation where there will be two different time zones in Ireland. The UK may elect to stay with the system of daylight saving time which will mean that we will be either an hour ahead or behind Northern Ireland. This is hardly going to work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

This is hardly going to work?

Why not?

wexie wrote: »

Why not?

Common sense should prevail on that issue surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I don't know, I'd like to think so, but let's not make it sound like having 2 different timezones is somehow going to lead to the end of civilization.

It might be a bit awkward but people would get used to it quick enough.

It's not like it's not being done anywhere else in the world and I don't believe it's lead to any major problems elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There are obviously people close to the edge of time zones all over the world, although countries like China try and limit them.

Not much hassle. Just know there’s a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah were always ahead of the North anyhow.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I don't know. Certain sections of society in the north are a few centuries behind so an hour either way won't bother them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ah were always ahead of the North anyhow.

We will definitely be ahead of them if we do the sensible thing and use it to also move to European time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The EU are not planning on scrapping changing the clocks. They said that they are thinking about letting each country decide if they want it or not.

I think the change ofthe hour each year is great. We cant change the rising or setting of the sun, but if we all pretend its an hour earlier/later then sure things will be grand!

PS - OP.....cool avitar pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

UK will still be in EU when/if it happens.

Can’t see them reverting back in Oct, if nobody else does. UK government will claim it as a benefit dividend anyway . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If only there was a way that Ireland could make these decisions on our own without faceless unelected bureaucrats making them for us.

If this would have been possible we could adapt to what is best for the island, not what's best for the continent.

Just a daring thought...

• Advertisement

We will definitely be ahead of them if we do the sensible thing and use it to also move to European time.

European time????

Spain an Portugal have different times.

Canary island have different time to Spain.

But in general I know what you mean, wouldn’t work though, we’re too far west of say Germany and Sweden to be in same time zone.

USA has 4 main time zones.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We are about 80 years ahead of the six already sure.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Who cares? It’s a kip. I hate being reminded it even exists.

wexie wrote: »

Why not?
    It seems a bit absurd that on a small island like Ireland, we will have 1.5 million people living in a different time zone to everyone else. 

I could effect very simple things like people being late for flights, appointments etc. Business opening and closing hours could be an issue for people from the other side of the border, and cell phones would be affected. A person's cell phone could be automatically updated to a different time if they came close to an antenna on the other side of the border.  

On a positive note you could have an extra hours drinking by popping over the border to which ever side is an hour behind. You could also ring in the new year twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

joeysoap wrote: »
    wouldn’t work though, we’re too far west of say Germany and Sweden to be in same time zone.

Ireland-Germany/Sweden is less of a span than within all of the individual 4 USA time zones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,609 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There are obviously people close to the edge of time zones all over the world, although countries like China try and limit them.

Not much hassle. Just know there’s a difference.

This is it. There are time zones within countries. Some are full hour time zones snd other are half hour zones. It would be grand.

People would just have to do exact the same things as everyone who lives near a time zone change.

It would be a change, not a problem

PS - OP.....cool avitar pic!

snap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

After hearing the news yesterday that the EU are planning to scrap the twice yearly changing of the clock, could it be possible that we could be faced with a situation where there will be two different time zones in Ireland. The UK may elect to stay with the system of daylight saving time which will mean that we will be either an hour ahead or behind Northern Ireland. This is hardly going to work?

We wouldn’t ever be ahead, they would be one hour behind us from November to end of March. And on same time zone the rest of the time.

biko wrote: »
    If only there was a way that Ireland could make these decisions on our own without faceless unelected bureaucrats making them for us.

If this would have been possible we could adapt to what is best for the island, not what's best for the continent.

Just a daring thought...

That’s exactly what the eu is proposing. Allow each country to choose.

Even when the EU is right, they’re wrong.

xabi wrote: »

We wouldn’t ever be ahead, they would be one hour behind us from November to end of March.  And on same time zone the rest of the time.
    thanks, I didn't think it through before I posted

• Advertisement

European time????

But in general I know what you mean, wouldn’t work though, we’re too far west of say Germany and Sweden to be in same time zone.

China has 1 time zone. Portugal is a strange outlier since the Spanish Atlantic coast is as far west as the Portuguese Atlantic coast and both have a different time zone.

That central time zone goes to the eastern polish border.

But it wouldn’t work for us as it would be double summer time all year round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

China I believe has 1 time zone. They share a border with India and time difference is 2.5 hours.
    It would be strange having 2 time zones here.

biko wrote: »

Just a daring thought...

so in that case, it would be common sense for Ireland to choose against scraping the daylight changing system because of the issue with NI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The EU are not planning on scrapping changing the clocks. They said that they are thinking about letting each country decide if they want it or not.
    No, they've finished that and the recommendation is to scrap it.

80% in favour apparently. I agree with you on keeping it though. Dark until 9:30am in the winters would be just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

How will this affect champions league scheduling is my worry.

so in that case, it would be common sense for Ireland to choose against scraping the daylight changing system because of the issue with NI.

What issue? Being an out out from them for 5 months of the year?

I have faith in the Irish people that we can adapt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

As someone else commented on a different post,

They must have solved all the immigration problems and all the other issues we are facing if there is Time to concern themselves with Clocks!!!

Maybe they can do two things at once.

Here’s a funny one. Arizona doesn’t change the hour from to summer to winter and vice versa.

And haven’t for the last 10 years.

Arizona's time zone is Mountain Standard Time (MST). In the Greater Phoenix area we never change our clocks, since Arizona does not participate in Daylight Saving Time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

European time????

Your talking about time zones not DST. Time zones will still exist and we’ll still be an hour behind Germany etc we just won’t be adjusting clocks twice a year.

As someone else commented on a different post,

They must have solved all the immigration problems and all the other issues we are facing if there is Time to concern themselves with Clocks!!!

Yeah, that’s how it should work. Allow all the other issues to stack up until enormous issue of immigration is resolved. What’s next? Solve climate change?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Feck there is some stuck up people from the republic. 80 years ahead, 300 years ahead of some in NI, etc etc.

From a nation who were basically ran by an international gang of paedophiles youse have some nerve on ye. Anyways you will do whatever the EU tell you to do, even if it isn’t good for you. And if you say no, then the Eu will tell you to go away and think and come back and say yes. And you will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Anyways I thought the whole idea of the clocks going back or whatever is so as kids aren’t walking to school in darkness.

Open the schools later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Open the schools later.

Or earlier

• Advertisement

timthumbni wrote: »
    Anyways I thought the whole idea of the clocks going back or whatever is so as kids aren’t walking to school in darkness.

Ha! It was introduced in 1916 to reserve coal during the First World War. Where people get this notion that it’s to do with children walking to school, I’ll never know.

The kits I see walking to school are 1 accompanied be an adult
    2 wearing high vis vests
    3 old enough to walk on a road by themselves

So I see absolutely no problem with kids walking in the dark. They walk in the dark in the evenings in winter and they don’t explode, or whatever people worry will happen if they walk to school in the morning in the dark/twilight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

There are two different time zones in Iberia, 9 of them in the US. Works fine...

Open the schools later.

Yes. In jan or dec would make sense.

Ha! It was introduced in 1916 to reserve coal during the First World War. Where people get this notion that it’s to do with children walking to school, I’ll never know.

The kits I see walking to school are 1 accompanied be an adult
    2 wearing high vis vests
    3 old enough to walk on a road by themselves

So I see absolutely no problem with kids walking in the dark. They walk in the dark in the evenings in winter and they don’t explode, or whatever people worry will happen if they walk to school in the morning in the dark/twilight.

He’s talking about the change back to winter time, I think. However I agree, no big deal about the schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The UK may elect to stay with the system of daylight saving time which will mean that we will be either an hour ahead or behind Northern Ireland. This is hardly going to work?
    The UK want to be in the European Union without being in the European Union. They'll do what we do ('we' meaning the rest of Europe).

With any talk of of time-zones, I like to include this, from the late 80s when the USA had 4 time zones but the USSR had 11. Yes, 11. (The embedded Youtube thing doesn't seem to work so I've added the link.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDmWYVdN8ug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

You're ma's so fat, she lives in 2 time zones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭hognef

Given the amount of US investment in Ireland, I suspect a source of concern for Ireland would be the increased time difference between here and the US for half of each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

hognef wrote: »
    Given the amount of US investment in Ireland, I suspect a source of concern for Ireland would be the increased time difference between here and the US for half of each year.

Not much of an issue. It already happens each year for a few weeks because America and Europe change their clocks on different dates.

The houses which are built on the border here will have different times in different rooms.

Not much of an issue. It already happens each year for a few weeks because America and Europe change their clocks on different dates.

The houses which are built on the border here will have different times in different rooms.

March to October is different from a few weeks.

Any house straddling the border will have the timezone of whichever country it officially belongs to.

March to October is different from a few weeks.

Lots of US states have more than one time zone, and their mainland has four time zones. I'm sure they could cope.

Lots of US states have more than one time zone, and their mainland has four time zones. I'm sure they could cope.

And indeed they do, but normally they cope with maximum 1 hour difference. The 3 hours between the east and west coasts does already cause issues; a six hour difference between an office in Ireland and an office in the US will cause more issue, due to the even shorter overlap.

Any house straddling the border will have the timezone of whichever country it officially belongs to.

I know people with farms straddling the border. Their properties would have to be with two different land registries. So two adjoining fields would be in two time zones.

I know people with farms straddling the border. Their properties would have to be with two different land registries. So two adjoining fields would be in two time zones.

What would be the practical issues arising from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Here’s a funny one. Arizona doesn’t change the hour from to summer to winter and vice versa.

And haven’t for the last 10 years.

Arizona's time zone is Mountain Standard Time (MST). In the Greater Phoenix area we never change our clocks, since Arizona does not participate in Daylight Saving Time.

Arizona is weird because you've also got the native American reservations with the main one being the Navajo who observe daylight saving time so use Mountain Daylight Time but there's places inside the Navajo reservation, most notably the Hopi reservation that don't observe daylight saving time so use the MST like the rest of Arizona.

Think there was a video on YouTube that if you drive across the state of Arizona you'd end up changing your clock backwards and forwards something like 7, 8 or 9 times I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement