Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended Floor Ventilation from above in old house

Options
  • 01-09-2018 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I recently bought and refurbished an old redbrick terrace but I need some advice on the ventilation for the ground floor. Ground floor is the original suspended timber floor. We got an engineered floor put down over this. My concern is that there is no ventilation to the cavity underneath. The concrete driveway at the front comes up above the level of the floor, covering the original airbricks at the front. Same at the back of the house.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas for me?

What I am thinking is that in a few places around the perimeter of the room, I will drill 7 – 8 cm diameter holes through the engineered floor and through the old floorboard to all air to circulate from the room into the cavity below. I would cover these holes with soffit vents so they don’t look too ugly (hopefully). The room is about 6m x 4m. I’m thinking 3 holes along each outer (4m) wall and one either side of the chimney breast. I think these would be the most likely places for moisture to be an issue.

Anybody ever seen anything like this before? Is it crazy? Would you think this would be sufficient to keep the rot at bay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dathi

google telescopic floor vents

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blackmadra

Thanks Daithi. They look pretty cool but to be honest I really want the least invasive solution possible at this stage. If I had considered this earlier, those vent would have been a great option, but I don't want to rip up my new engineered floor now.

Do you think my idea of drilling the vents from above would be any use?

Advertisement