Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Spare change for Bus" begging

• 01-09-2018 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I'm just starting this thread after getting asked multiple times in city centre for "spare bug change".

Is this an organised activity?

Literally barely past the first guy (wanted 1 Euro) and a few metres later the same question from a different guy (wanted 2 Euros).

I normally enjoy a quiet stroll in the city centre on Saturday morning and maybe I was lucky before but never experienced this before.

Just curious to see if this is a growing problem in Limerick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

If everyone just stopped ****ing giving them money then they would be forced to stop, I just don't understand what kind of idiots don't realise by now that giving money to beggars doesn't make you a good person, you are not doing a good thing. You are contributing to what's more than likely an organised gang of scumbags. I have seen them multiple times basically change shifts with other beggars and a couple of times saw someone approach them to collect the money they had received. If you want to do something good with your spare change, give it to some charities that you are sure are legitimate

Please bring this topic up with as many people as you can and tell them all to do the same in order to hopefully spread some common sense throughout the city to make a dent in their pockets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

It's been going on years. Can't walk five yards or sit outside a cafe without being pestered.

It makes me want to avoid town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Some of them are better dressed than I am!

They look like they have 10 minutes to kill until their friend turns up, and just decide to do a bit of begging for bus money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

It's very bad around the station. Can't sit down outside it without being bothered. Security there do deal with them if they go around the bus bays I've noticed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

osarusan wrote: »
    Some of them are better dressed than I .

How dare they dress better than you....
    I think if many of the commenters here had 10% of these lads troubles they might think a little differently.
    If you don’t want to give them money then don’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Champ wrote:
    Is this an organised activity?

Arrival wrote:
    If everyone just stopped ****ing giving them money then they would be forced to stop, I just don't understand what kind of idiots don't realise by now that giving money to beggars doesn't make you a good person, you are not doing a good thing. You are contributing to what's more than likely an organised gang of scumbags. I have seen them multiple times basically change shifts with other beggars and a couple of times saw someone approach them to collect the money they had received. If you want to do something good with your spare change, give it to some charities that you are sure are legitimate

Many people would feel somewhat intimidated if approached on the street by somebody looking for money and may have a fear of being assaulted so hand over a euro or two. I have never encountered that type of aggressive begging on the streets here. Most appear to me to be genuine down and outs but passive in nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Jesus come live in Dublin north central and you'd wonder why dublin bus are down money considering 1 in every 5 people you meet is 'lukin for a bira change fir de bussss' ��
    I find a very blunt boardline aggressive 'NO' works wonders with junk balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Arrival wrote: »

Please bring this topic up with as many people as you can and tell them all to do the same in order to hopefully spread some common sense throughout the city to make a dent in their pockets

You'd think that but...

tenor.gif?itemid=3534584

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Wonder will this still be a thing when buses are made cashless

martyc5674 wrote: »
    How dare they dress better than you....
    I think if many of the commenters here had 10% of these lads troubles they might think a little differently.
    If you don’t want to give them money then don’t.

I'm out working my ass off and these cretins, wearing more expensive clothes/shoes have the neck to ask me for money? Fcuk them, they are nothing but parasites and contribute nothing to society. They can all rot for all I care.

• Advertisement

I'm out working my ass off and these cretins, wearing more expensive clothes/shoes have the neck to ask me for money? Fcuk them, they are nothing but parasites and contribute nothing to society. They can all rot for all I care.

Who do you think has the better standard of living?.. you or them?
    And they know that answer too.
    It’s shallow to name call and be jealous because they may have better clothes than you... you can be pretty sure that’s likely the only area they have anything better than you. Most of them would love a normal lifestyle working etc but due to misfortune have addiction or mental health problems, sometimes both. They don’t have fond childhood memories that you or I might have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Had an Asian guy ask me the other week outside the car park of the maternity hospital. Said his roommate had rang him to say he had left his phone at home and needed €2 for the bus to go back and get it.

Needless to say, he was politely told where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

I guess for me there's a big question mark whether there's any genuine cases at all.

Part of why I'm skeptical is that O'Connell street has what I would call permanent beggars (not the bug change beggars that wonder about) that I see everyday while heading to work in the morning.

That wouldn't be so suspicious by itself but there seems to be a "shift system". The exact same spots are occupied by different people depending on the day and time. I half wonder as well whether doing it right next to a bank ATM is legal?

Anyways back to the bug change begging.

I doubt most of them actually know the bus fare since I haven't been asked for the correct amount yet (usually way short for 1 fare). It's like this I would buy them the actual bus ticket or a sandwich but my gut is saying they'd have no interest in that and only want cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I'm in Limerick City 3 days a week and can't say I've seen it but it happens in Thurles Clonmel and Nenagh. €2, €3, etc they ask for. I tell them that I don't carry cash. Most unusual encounter was I was sitting in Subway in Nenagh and a man in his early 60s asked me for a bit of my sandwich. I'm not sure if he was a beggar or just induced by that smell of bread emitting out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

It’s shallow to name call and be jealous because they may have better clothes than you... you can be pretty sure that’s likely the only area they have anything better than you. Most of them would love a normal lifestyle working etc but due to misfortune have addiction or mental health problems, sometimes both. They don’t have fond childhood memories that you or I might have.

The poor craters...

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    The poor craters...

They are poor craters as you put it... misfortunes I’d say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

italodisco wrote: »

Jesus come live in Dublin north central and you'd wonder why dublin bus are down money considering 1 in every 5 people you meet is 'lukin for a bira change fir de bussss' ��

Evidently poor Bertie is still missing his State car and driver and his "dig out" must be well spent by now!

I don't give a fcuk. Nobody forced them into addiction.

The supports are there if needed. They are responsible for their own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Talk about gullible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Happens everywhere, had an old native guy smartly dressed ask for cash in the airport arrivals cafe,
    said he lived in S.America and was 'waiting for his luggage to arrive'.

When I mentioned the airpot authorites would be keen to help and give food vouchers,
    his mood quickly changed, and said not to involve them before clearing off elsewhere.

It will still exist in a cashless society, you can QRCode or 'tap n'go' the more legitimate BigIssue sellers currently.

• Advertisement

I don't give a fcuk.

I partly guessed you didn’t... says it all really.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Talk about gullible.

Talk about lacking any compassion.

Chancers don't deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Do you think they don't have a home and a bed to go to and aren't already claiming for everything the state will give them?

my3cents wrote: »
    Do you think they don't have a home and a bed to go to and aren't already claiming for everything the state will give them?

Most of them are in homeless shelters, not nice places to be, pretty crazy environments, and they are required to pay rent from their welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

my3cents wrote:

I'm sure many of them don't. Just ask the Simon Community, Novas or any of the other agencies that try to assist the homeless and destitute. Despite their best efforts there are still many - who for various, complex reasons - choose to live, sleep and, sadly, die on our streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I say the approach of the poster child of the homeless industry, Cash in Dublin has really backfired and hardened people's views on people that claim to be homeless or begging.

I'm sceptical by now and think the numbers of genuine people are quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I say the approach of the poster child of the homeless industry, Cash in Dublin has really backfired and hardened people's views on people that claim to be homeless or begging.

I'm sceptical by now and think the numbers of genuine people are quite small.
    Id agree with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Call me soft but I do give the odd bit of spare change to homeless. I just think "there for the grace of God go I.

There is a guy who sits on the steps near Rooney Auctioneers. I had to laugh one morning a few weeks ago a Garda came to move him and he took maybe 10 steps watch the Guard go around the corner at the Ulster Bank and went back to his spot.

There seems to be a small little group/gang that beg constantly outside the Centra in O'Connell Street - seem very organised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

And what’s this new chalking system? Constantly messages written outside Penneys and Centra.

Advertisement