Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Spare change for Bus" begging

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

angeleyes wrote: »
    Call me soft but I do give the odd bit of spare change to homeless. I just think "there for the grace of God go I.

There is a guy who sits on the steps near Rooney Auctioneers. I had to laugh one morning a few weeks ago a Garda came to move him and he took maybe 10 steps watch the Guard go around the corner at the Ulster Bank and went back to his spot.

There seems to be a small little group/gang that beg constantly outside the Centra in O'Connell Street - seem very organised.

You're contributing to this issue continuing, give your spare change to legitimate charities and stop funding these scumbags. That warm fuzzy feeling inside you're getting from this is bull****, you're actively aiding something that is negatively impacting our city, its citizens and visitors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The guy who annoys me is the lad who sits outside Smyths on the Ennis Rd. I have no doubt he is down on his luck but just because of the place he sits, I refuse to give him anything. Trying to prey on the guilt of parents and curious children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I work in an office on Henry street and see the same guy day after day asking people for money for his bus,he approached me more than once and on on each occasion I asked for what bus and he just walked away.
    I have seen people give him money and he goes straight into Ladbrokes each and every time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Talk about lacking any compassion.
    I have no compassion for these leeches. What I own I worked and worked hard for. I have no guilty conscience which needs appeasing. These leeches are not down and outs . They are lazy con artists and you and others like you are being conned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One fella I do feel sorry for is a lat that sits outside (or close to) Dealz on William Street. He's a foreigner (maybe Polish?) and he has some problem walking, like the soles of his feet are always sore or something.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

osarusan wrote: »
    One fella I do feel sorry for is a lat that sits outside (or close to) Dealz on William Street. He's a foreigner (maybe Polish?) and he has some problem walking, like the soles of his feet are always sore or something.
    Amazing what a pebble in your stocking can do for a limp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The guy who annoys me is the lad who sits outside Smyths on the Ennis Rd. I have no doubt he is down on his luck but just because of the place he sits, I refuse to give him anything. Trying to prey on the guilt of parents and curious children.

Is he the tall fellow - sometimes accompanied by a lady friend - who previously "worked" outside Lidl, across the road from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Had an Asian guy ask me the other week outside the car park of the maternity hospital. Said his roommate had rang him to say he had left his phone at home and needed €2 for the bus to go back and get it.

Needless to say, he was politely told where to go.

“Fluctuations”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

chicorytip wrote: »
    Is he the tall fellow - sometimes accompanied by a lady friend - who previously "worked" outside Lidl, across the road from there?

Older guy with a beard, I wouldn't be able to say how tall he is or is not as I've only seen him sitting down. I have seen a woman sitting there too though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭LeoD

What an uplifting thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 cstaff

I used to be a bit of a softy when it came to some but not all beggars. I even used to do voluntary work for the Vincent de Paul. One evening on our way to visit our clients in the VdeP my friend who worked with me in the VdeP said to me "take a look at your man begging over there". I had a look and there was a bloke sitting on the side of the path with a "Homeless" sign in front of him. This was the same bloke who had been rehoused by Dublin City Council a few weeks previously and we had been helping him to refurnish his new flat and there he was claiming to be homeless. That definitely brought out the cynic in me after that.

Advertisement