Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame-mounted vs rack-mounted seats

Options
  • 01-09-2018 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

I have gone for Sinus Tria 9 ebike, and now I'm trying to make a decision about what child seat should I get for my 4yrs old kid.

I have 2 choices, the frame-mounted seats vs the rack-mounted one. Although my opinion is not based on any facts, but I feel that rack-mounted seats will be more reliable and stable than the frame-mounted one.

So my question is, what do you recommend for a sturdy, reliable and protective child seat?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mohm.kamal

The reason I'm asking, is that I will pickup my Sinus T9 e-bike from the shop next week, and it comes with this carrier:

https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/racktime-3050717017-carrier-28-e-bike-for-sinus-tria-black/264698/

So, I'm not sure if it would be reliable for a rack-mounted child seat or not, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I would think the frame mounted seat is more comfortable for the child as there would be an element of suspension in the setup. Assuming this style.

But is it stable? my kid is 4yrs old and I feel that she'll be moving side to side on these kinds of seats

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I used one for years and it is fine, no more unstable than a rack mounted one. Supposedly better for the childs back due to an element of suspension as cdaly said.

My one is a Hamax Siesta, your welcome to try it if your near South Dublin or North Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

have you already excluded a front mount seat?
    I have a Weeride for my 2 1/2 year old and he loves it - and I'm happy to have him up front where I can see him as well as giving a sense of safety in the event that we did have a tumble.

• Advertisement

The front seat is perfect but it doesn't suit my 4yrs old kid, I think it's upto 4yrs but not behind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

mohm.kamal wrote: »
    The front seat is perfect but it doesn't suit my 4yrs old kid, I think it's upto 4yrs but not behind that.

ah - I'd missed the age in your opening post. I expect when my fella outgrows the Weeride we'll get one of those simpler seats that bolts straight onto the crossbar and has little brackets for his feet. he'd then be holding onto the handlebar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Missed the 4yo bit but it is more about weight than age. In fact, weight is the only factor, age is irrelevant once they are old enough to sit in. Mine is rated upto 22kg I think but may vary, so if they are close to that, the rack mounted one may be better. I imagine though if you want one for awhile, then it might be the rack mounted ones.

Thanks CramCycle! This was very helpful indeed and thanks a lot for your offer :)

The only thing I'm not confident about is my rack type, but I would see how much weight it could handle

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

definitely as the kid gets older/biger the frame mounted one can feel more bouncy.

the child wont notice (as long as you mount it high enough above the wheel...) but depending on the geometry of your bike it can make the front end feel a little or a lot lighter.

i have the hamax siesta and had it mounted on a road bike (giant contend) and once he was above 15kg it got less manageable.

rack mounted should spread the weight more evenly across the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Hi,

I have gone for Sinus Tria 9 ebike, and now I'm trying to make a decision about what child seat should I get for my 4yrs old kid.

I have 2 choices, the frame-mounted seats vs the rack-mounted one. Although my opinion is not based on any facts, but I feel that rack-mounted seats will be more reliable and stable than the frame-mounted one.

So my question is, what do you recommend for a sturdy, reliable and protective child seat?

Thanks

You can have both! Just ask to look at the bobike child seat (same place you're buying the bike) it can be mounted on frame with the optional quick removal springy bar thing or it can be mounted directly to rack.

We've the bobike directly mounted to rack on the tria 8, and its perfect, and position is great as not too close to saddle but also not too far back that it affects balance when you are off bike but child in seat.

If mounting directly to rack make sure the hidden stabiliser bar from rack front to frame (running under the mudguard) is tight, the shop may say you need to add additional rack satablisers from rack to frame but we haven't found it necessary.

I'll try and get a photo tonight and post up.

Again, Thanks a lot Kenneth!

Indeed, I went to Aurel and asked him if he can replace the rack on the Tria 9 I will get because it's not attached to the frame, but he said he can install some sort of reinforcement between the rack and the eyelets in the frame.

I'm still trying to make my mind whether to go for the bobike exclusive tour/maxi and the hamax caress! bobike has a metal bar to attach to the rack, but doesn't have any sort of shock absorbers unlike the hamax

If you don't mind me to ask, how old is your kid?

Again, Thanks a lot Kenneth!

Indeed, I went to Aurel and asked him if he can replace the rack on the Tria 9 I will get because it's not attached to the frame, but he said he can install some sort of reinforcement between the rack and the eyelets in the frame.

I'm still trying to make my mind whether to go for the bobike exclusive tour/maxi and the hamax caress! bobike has a metal bar to attach to the rack, but doesn't have any sort of shock absorbers unlike the hamax

If you don't mind me to ask, how old is your kid?

My kid is 3 at the moment. There are different bobike seats available depending on weight if child. Note there is a stabiliser bar to the frame from the rack but it’s hidden under the mudguard so the rack looks like it’s floating with no forward bar (but there is). Aurel is correct though if child heavy additional ones can be added to the eyelets on the frame.

No battery installed but you can see how its attached.

PLQX3bl.jpg
    02lo7BT.jpg
    9B8kYsr.jpg
    XUz7w8y.jpg
    PcUy4R2.jpg

Thank you, I think I will also go for the Bobike!

is your bike insured? since it worth a fortune, I;m thinking of insureance

I saw somebody today with a cushion on her rear rack and what looked like motorbike footplates down near the rear axle. Obviously for an older child...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Slightly off topic but would it be possible to run two frame mounted seats on an mtb for my 2 year old twins. Was thinking a weeride in front of me with the other in a hamax or Thule behind me? Or perhaps a weeride and a rack mounted seat behind? Thanks in advance

Yep...
    7a480e3e39def387dfe6937b2bf66b09.jpg

Advertisement