Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let hair go grey...

Options
  • 01-09-2018 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

So I'm sitting in the hairdressers getting my roots done yet again. I need a colour every month. It's a nuisance, but my white roots make me look like I have bald patches. I have fine hair which lacks volume. I'm not yet 40 but I'd love to quit colouring it. Not sure that I can pull off the look as I would be more like beetlejuice than Miranda Priestly.
    Has anyone been brave enough to embrace grey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Try folic acid with vitamin b complex for few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

To retain colour, or for thinker hair?
    I take a vitamin b complex and my roots seem to be more noticeable lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I started greying at 16. Never coloured it. Never caused a moments bother.

Clarification: bloke.

I'd love not to colour it, but it can be very aging not to.
    Whereas it can be attractive on a man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I've seen people pull it off as young as 30 and it's gorgeous.

Would you embrace temporary fashion colours for while. A friend of mine, her hair is growing pure grey, she puts a lilac or soft pink through the roots..... gorgeous contrast against the darker hair.

Another alternative is to start lightening adding highlights to blending the regrowth down through the hair.

• Advertisement

Lots of women are going with the natural look. I’ve seen 2 recently that I hadn’t seen in years and both looked great. One had been dyeing hers blonde and the other a plum color. The white/grey suits their skin tones much better.

I'm not a funky kind of person who can pull off a trend though.
    I have highlights, but they grow out too.
    I'm just going to have to brave it some day. It'll grow back if it's a disaster.

Ask your hairdresser next time your in. He/she should be able to give some ideas. :)

My hairdresser isn't going to encourage me to stop spending €80 a month with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I only started going grey a few years ago - I have never dyed with permanent just use a non permanent rinse to cover up - this year I'm pondering letting the grey continue - it's more whitish than grey -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I suppose it depends how you are going grey.

I'm late 40's and grey hair would not suit me at this point.

I'm still very patchy so it's not all growing out grey evenly. So I've a mix of dark Brown, mid Brown and grey.im using Henna and it's making the grey bits look like highlights.

Would love if it was all growing out, would be easer to manage If grey from roots.

anewme wrote: »
    Would love if it was all growing out, would be easer to manage If grey from roots.

I respectfully disagree!

Once you start colouring your hair, it's hard to stop. I wish I never started.

anewme wrote: »
    I suppose it depends how you are going grey.

I'm late 40's and grey hair would not suit me at this point.

I'm still very patchy so it's not all growing out grey evenly. So I've a mix of dark Brown, mid Brown and grey.im using Jenna and it's making the grey bits look like highlights.

Sounds just like mine but I think that is the better way to go grey - It must be a constant battle when roots show up grey - whereas a few strands of grey through the hair is more tonal -

Pretzill wrote: »
    I only started going grey a few years ago - I have never dyed with permanent just use a non permanent rinse to cover up - this year I'm pondering letting the grey continue - it's more whitish than grey -
    I find non permanent doesn't colour my greys/whites, unfortunately.

Addle wrote: »

It does mine - well it lightens it like highlights - I
    am allergic to permanent hair dye - the only thing about the going grey is I feel like I'm giving in to aging (50)

Bite the bullet and go for it. My eyebrows are fairly white too, so I dye them black. (Got professional stuff from a beautician)

I feel like I need to have a plan.
    Let the greys grow out and then cut it short.
    Maybe if I don't colour it again until Christmas, I can bite the bullet and go for a change of look then.
    How do I cope with roots until then though?
    It'll like be like a bad backwards balayage!

I feel like I need to have a plan.
    Let the greys grow out and then cut it short.
    Maybe if I don't colour it again until Christmas, I can bite the bullet and go for a change of luck then.
    How do I cope with roots until then though?
    It'll like be like a bad backwards balayage!
    You could look into grey shaded dyes - I know that sounds like giving in to the salon but the roots won't be as noticble and you could grow it out without feeling conscious - and you'd know quite quickly if you'd like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

I coloured my hair from the age of about fifteen and about five years ago in my mid forties I became allergic to dyes even the organic ones. Broke out in rashes and blisters so had to finally quit the dyeing. I wore hats for about two months and then when the roots were about two inches, I got it cut short which took out almost all the remaining dye. A couple of more trims and it was all gone.
    I have never looked back. I get loads of compliments, most of the grey is on the top and sides, the underneath still has some of my original brown. But the best thing is not having to worry about colouring anymore and the condition of my hair has never been better! And no more itchy scalp or rashes!
    You should definitely go for it, it's surprising how quickly your hair grows.
    Oh and btw, as we age , our complexion changes as we go grey which is why older people who dye their hair a dark colour can have that tired look! Best of luck, you won't regret it!

My hairdresser isn't going to encourage me to stop spending €80 a month with her.

She shouldn't mind. If your going to do it under her supervision. She could help the transition. As someone else said maybe by getting your hair to a shade of grey.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 48 AnneRyan

How about looking on YouTube? There are loads of people posting their grey journeys with stunning results. Most look much better! The key to it not aging you is great make up and a REALLY good haircut.

I'm definitely doing it.
    Need a recommendation for a good stylist now!

Thanks all.

Advertisement