Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three mobile broadband

• 01-09-2018 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Fiber broadband is not available at my address. Were waiting for the council to get back to eir with approval to go ahead and install it underground but in the meantime I’m stuck with three mobile broadband. The speed is actually really good where we are but the 750gb a month isn’t enough. In the first month we went over by 500 odd mb and where charged an extra 36 euro. This month we ran out with over a week left before the renewal. What I want to know is can the prepay sim be put in the router as I seen that is truly unlimited for 20 euro a month? Three say I can’t but they may just not want people to know you can get broadband this way for only 20 euro. Or does it have to work off personal hotspot on the phone? The SIM card doesn’t look any different to a normal one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

The SIM's will be the exact same. TL;DR? Do it. What are you losing? 20 Euro? I am 99.9% sure it will work, but if not then keep reading.

I have 2 TP Link Archer MR200's, aftermarket 4G routers. One in Donegal and one between Meath and Westmeath at different properties. I use the PAYG simcard you are talking about. 20 euro for unlimited data. Never ever had a problem. I can only assume that the router you have will be locked to the 3 Network but because you intend to use a 3 sim card then it should not be an issue. Try it and if it doesn't work then pick up a MR200 router. I know 100% that it works with that.

It has the 2.4 and 5g wireless bands covered, 4 ethernet LAN ports, and is also compatible as a standalone WAN router if you get another provider in.

They run you about 100 euro, you can pick them up in PCWorld as quick as you can drive there or Amazon / elsewhere online, and in areas with a good 4G signal you can just plug and play. In Donegal I have a cheap antenna setup on the roof. Works well.

Contention is still a massive issue. The 4G network throttles a lot in the evening.

Finally I can't remember why I did it but use the 3ireland.ie APN. Something to do with a DMZ'd hole poked through a firewall. Could be remembering that wrong but i'll let you know if I figure out exactly why I did it on both.

Handy enough to setup a direct debit topup on mythree.

If you've anything else you want to know, screenshots of the router etc, let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Ive been using a three PAYG sim as my main broadband and topping up by €20 PM.

No issues, three just dont want to promote it.

Ive never gotten close to 750GB, only around 200GB so I cant say anything about the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GeriMcG

Yes the payg €20 sim will work. Just remember to take it out & send a text & call within 6months . I used it for 2years i was’nt able to any kind of broadband as im to far if the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kaleb2015

Just an update, I got a payg sim and it works great. I was told that they would slow the speed down when I reached 60GB but they never did. I know with the bill pay and payg im spending 50 a month now but its better than using the bill pay sim and being charged god knows what if i go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

The fact your breaking 750gb is a bit mad haha. Beware 3 prepaid sim has unlimited internet (according to fair play policy). If you exceed the 500GB fair usage allowance repeatedly they will put an auto limiter on you connection - DL speeds drop to kbps. 
    Happened to us before we switched provider. If you want real unlimited you have to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Even if they limit you, just buy a new sim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 annaboniface55

Kaleb2015 wrote: »
    Just an update, I got a payg sim and it works great. I was told that they would slow the speed down when I reached 60GB but they never did. I know with the bill pay and payg im spending 50 a month now but its better than using the bill pay sim and being charged god knows what if i go over.

You should be able to ask them to put a cap on your phone so you don't go over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Whats gaming like on it? Laggy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless you're asking your neighbour that question is meaningless. Have to try and see for yourself as each sector is different.

If everyone says there's is laggy it would be unlikely that mine wouldn't.

I guess I'd need to get a TP Link Archer MR200 or similar to try it properly. Using a Phone as hotspot probably isn't a good test either.

• Advertisement

Are you still on Virgin? Forget it if so, will never be comparable. Really ony worth discussing if its a case of Cellular, Imagine or northing.

3 LTE, known good cell. 200M away.
    Min 29, Avg 60, Max 162, Mdev 22

Just want to try something cheaper.

VM is getting ridiculous. I can't use the full speed due to poor Wifi, and powerline adaptors, and I hate the horizon box.

m99T wrote: »
    ...I have 2 TP Link Archer MR200's, aftermarket 4G routers. ....

Can you switch these to bridge mode only.

Also what are the parental controls like.

beauf wrote: »
    Can you switch these to bridge mode only.

Also what are the parental controls like.

You can indeed.

And they look like this:

CNfqYjU.png

Seems to be based on a simple keyword system. Although I imagine bridging disables it.

The fact your breaking 750gb is a bit mad haha. Beware 3 prepaid sim has unlimited internet (according to fair play policy). If you exceed the 500GB fair usage allowance repeatedly they will put an auto limiter on you connection - DL speeds drop to kbps. 
    Happened to us before we switched provider. If you want real unlimited you have to pay.

750GB is easy for me to use. It’s used for Netflix and Hulu pretty much all the time for ourselves in the evenings and during the day for the kids. I also work from home so need the internet for that. I would love to get proper broadband installed but unfortunately I live in the countryside and it’s not a possibility at the moment. I can get it but your talking a few thousand for a couple of the poles to be run in my direction. There’s also the option of underground but permission from the council is taking forever. It’s been 4 months so far so god knows when they will grant it, or even if they will grant it.

You should be able to ask them to put a cap on your phone so you don't go over

I asked them to put a cap on and said they don’t do that for the mobile broadband. Obviously because of the fact that if you go over they make so much money off you for so little usage. As I said before €35 euro for 500mb. But nuts they can charge that much when I’m paying €30 for 750gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭greep

Anyone has switched over from VM to THREE & happy?
    Thinking about it now, since VM in increasing their prices yet again...
    I can be paying €30 with THREE vs €58 with VM.

A couple of questions though:
    1. I would like to test the PAYG offer for €20 a month / 60 GB - but cannot see it on offer?
    Will they sell a sim card when I visit their shop?

2. Which modem are you using with THREE? Huawei B525? or Huawei E5573?
    - What is the main difference between the two (I do no need LAN) & it will be used in an apartment?

Thanks

greep wrote: »

1. I would like to test the PAYG offer for €20 a month / 60 GB - but cannot see it on offer?

- What is the main difference between the two (I do no need LAN) & it will be used in an apartment?

Thanks

Jesus mother of god NO. Do NOT leave a fixed line service for a mobile package. Three broadband is not a replacement or competitor for fixed line services like VDSL, Fibre or VM.

You will get increased ping, lower speed, possibly downtime, interference, contention and much more.

If you call VM and threaten to cancel then WILL reduce your price.

You'll pay 50% the price for 20% of the service. Yes its cheaper but you get a lot less.

If you are doing it:
    Buy your own router (B593 or example)
    Get a €20/28 days sim for unlimited data (their broadband plans are inferior value)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

I only get 250Gb for 60 euro a month with Eir mobile BB. I used to have Three but speeds went to hell.

Anyway I have turned off HD on Netflix. You should maybe do the same.

• Advertisement

Thanks

If I could go back to a fixed line I would. Because I live in the countryside my speed is usually around 35-40meg download and 5-6 upload. I know if I had it when I lived in town I wouldn't even get a quarter of that. I was on siro with Vodafone for 45 a month and that was constantly around 160meg download. I wouldn't even dream of that 60gb for €20 offer because it wouldn't last you. I have the B525 but if you're forced to go with a mobile broadband buy the B525 or the B593 outright and get a prepaid sim. I've been using that a little over a month and I'd say I've used about a terabyte. As someone else said if you continuously use a high amount of data they might start to throttle it but if that happens just get another sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Thanks
    I have Three, speed now 60 mbps, at peak times 0.75 to 5mbps. I can only get mobile broadband, router Huawei B525 with external antenna.
    When your ISP bumps up the price, move to another, you may need to do that every 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

ED E wrote: »
    You'll pay 50% the price for 20% of the service. Yes its cheaper but you get a lot less.

If you are doing it:
    Get a €20/28 days sim for unlimited data (their broadband plans are inferior value)

i'm thinking of doing something like this

just unsure how to go about it i guess, so i want to basically use the €20 a month sim only plan and either hotspot or get a router with a sim slot is it?

and once i top up by €20 a month i'll have the unlimited broadband ???

ayatollah wrote: »
    ED E wrote: »

If you are doing it:

just unsure how to go about it i guess, so i want to basically use the €20 a month sim only plan and either hotspot or get a router with a sim slot is it?

I did it that way for a couple of months with the huawei b525 and the sim with three. Topped up by 20 every month and the speeds where usually between 20-30 mbps. I now have my iPad mini installed in my dash in my car and I use the sim for everything I need on that and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

ayatollah wrote: »

Three is a disaster for the last 12 months and peak speeds are less than 1.5 mbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

irishchris wrote: »
    Three is a disaster for the last 12 months and peak speeds are less than 1.5 mbs

is there a better alternative out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭hjr

Worth checking with mast your connecting to and see who else is on that mast? My local mast has both a Three service and an EIR service. The Three service is only 3G, but the EIR service is 4G....

Where I am in central Dublin Eir gets a much signal than 3. I'd say my 3 signal poor over most of Dublin.

Might be just bad luck in that all my phone have poor antenna's I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭hjr

Worth remembering that Three are currently rolling out 4G across the country whereas EIR and Vodafone both already have 96% coverage. I know its not perfect but a lot of people switch to Three for the unlimited data allowance, hence overloading an already overused system and slowing it down further....

I know in my area, albeit rural, that EIR is well ahead of Three in terms of speed and contention issues. Unlikely to change much either as we're not expecting an additional population increase on the system locally to cause contention either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rossj

Hi Everyone

Im just about to get either 3 broadband modem deal or Vodafone & wanted to checked in here before I decide... The house where I am renting had vodafone modem wifi broadband before and left their modem behind

3 have said their plug-inmodem is 29.50e a month - 30 day rolling contract (that can be stopped at a months notice if I have my own moden - can this be any modem?? even an old vodafone one??) I reckon the coverage on 3 will be fairly good because I am using PAYG mobile data on my phone & doing a speed test all over the house it seems to be pretty good so I can only imagine the broadband modem wifi will be as good if not better... If i do not have a modem I must enter into a 24month contract with 3.. this is what I took from my research
    As far as 3Three have explained to me this is UNLIMITED

Vodafone meanwhile is limited at 300G a month yet it is 40euro on a minimal years contract.... I struggle to understand how ppl go with Vodafone on this broadband modem deal but there must be a reason
    is 3's really unlimited AND will it be ok if I use a modem that was used for Vodafone within the last 16-22months??

Which should I go with?

Appreciate all advice

Advertisement