Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making changes to an apartment.

Options
  • 01-09-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all

I wanted to ask a question about changing the layout of my apartment. I bought the apartment around 10 years ago and it's a ground floor apartment with its own entrance. Over the last few years I've developed a chronic illness and after talking to my consultant we believe that sometime in the next two years at the most I will be permanently confined to a wheelchair.

Before that happens I'm going to have to make changes to the layout of my apartment as its not suited to a wheelchair at the present time. The apartment is a two bedroom with a small bathroom. Because I will need a wet room I'd like to enlarge the current bathroom into one of the bedrooms and possibly converting it in to a one bedroom apartment. Also even though I am on the ground floor there is a single step from the ground outside up into the apartment therefore I also need to install a ramp outside the apartment to allow me to wheel the chair out of the apartment otherwise I wouldn't be able to enter or leave.

I can afford the cost of making these changes myself but as it's an apartment rather than a house does anyone know if I'm allowed to. I'm especially worried about adding the ramp to the outside as I know I don't own anything outside of the apartment walls. I will have to get permission from the management company but I'm worried that they will turn it down flat with out considering my position. Do I have any legal rights to alter the outside if I need the alterations to enter my property.

I can't afford to leave the apartment and buy a more suitable place as I still have a mortgage on the apartment for the next ten years or so and while I can afford that and the cost of alterations because of my illness I have to give up work and wouldn't qualify for another mortgage so I'm stuck in my current apartment.

So basically I'm asking do I have anything to worry about. I don't want to start talking to the management company until I know where I stand. If the moderators think that a different forum would be more suitable for these questions can you please move the thread. Thanks.

Stev.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

In essence, yes, but, you may need the approval from the management company.
    They will be most likely be looking for an Engineer's and / or Architect's report to confirm that the proposed work will have no impact on the building's structural integrity before giving any green light.
    If its a fairly modern apt its most likely just stud walls being altered, which they shouldn't have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You world need management company approval to install a ramp as it would be on management company property.

As regards internal alterations you will need to talk to your management company and your lender as you are potentially reducing the value of the property by reducing the number of bedrooms, also your insurer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very possible.
    I would do it in the following order.

1. Engage an architect, engineer or surveyor to prepare some plans of what the new layout will be. They can also confirm that the new layout will not effect the building structure, the current planning compliance of the building and the fire safety of the building.

2. Approach the management company with this letter and drawings and your reasons behind it. If possible, try arrange a meeting with a senior member so you can explain it face to face.

3. Subject to MC approval, look into any grants that are available to you, such as the home adaptation grant, disability grant etc

4. Carry out works.

Hopefully it’s as easy and smooth sailing as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Caranica wrote: »
    ... and your lender as you are potentially reducing the value of the property by reducing the number of bedrooms, also your insurer.

Making a ground-floor apartment wheelchair friendly is possibly increasing not decreasing the value.

The insurer needs to be informed, not give permission.

I'm not even sure if the lender needs to be informed.

I'd be informally making the directors aware that you're looking at this, and letting them know you'll be getting it done properly and getting the correct permissions. Surprises tend to startle people. Getting them on-side in advance calms them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Making a ground-floor apartment wheelchair friendly is possibly increasing not decreasing the value.

The insurer needs to be informed, not give permission.

I'm not even sure if the lender needs to be informed.

I'd be informally making the directors aware that you're looking at this, and letting them know you'll be getting it done properly and getting the correct permissions. Surprises tend to startle people. Getting them on-side in advance calms them down.

They are talking about reducing a two bedroom apartment to one bedroom, that is certainly reducing value so lender must be informed.

I didn't say the insurer needs to give permission but a conversation needs to be had, via the management company as it's the block insurance.

Also need to request permission for the ramp from the MC and that may also have insurance ramifications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Not specifically answering your questions I admit but

1) talk to your local occupational therapist. They advise on works needed and can help access grants etc to cover the work. They may well be able to advise on things like MC, insurers etc as they'll have seen it done 100 times before.

2) chronic conditions of the type that put you in a wheelchair often meet the terms of your mortgage life insurance policy and result in your mortgage being paid off. You may have already looked into it, but if not you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Another thought: ask the management company if anyone else has had work done and if there are any architects etc who they can recommend or de-recommend. Using someone they trust will help in getting their agreement.

Advertisement