Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exposed beam ceiling with visible floor above

• 01-09-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Forgive the confusing title.
    Years ago on a job we layed a wood floor directly down onto the joists with the underside facing up. From below it looked like a finished floor between the joists. It was sandblasted and looked really well.
    I want to do something similar but the cost of laying a new floor which is only visible from below in the room below is putting me off so I want to try and use pallet wood.
    I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a somewhat uniform shade from the pallet wood using a stain or will it still be a mismatch of colours.
    Also any other pitfalls I should look out for

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭dathi

seannash wrote: »
    Years ago on a job we layed a wood floor directly down onto the joists with the underside facing up. From below it looked like a finished floor between the joists. It was sandblasted and looked really well..
    Also any other pitfalls I should look out for

how are you going to comply with the building regulations part B (fire safety) with respect to giving the ceiling 30 mins fire rating? as normally the plasterboard is used for this porpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

dathi wrote: »
    how are you going to comply with the building regulations part B (fire safety) with respect to giving the ceiling 30 mins fire rating? as normally the plasterboard is used for this porpose

Well the floorboards would be the first layer, then acoustical blocking material on top of that, then probably ply (Could be fire rated ply I guess) and then wood floor on top of that.

I'm unsure if that would give me the rating but my architect didn't seem to have an issue with exposed beams in the lower portion of the house.
    Currently having finished plans being drawn up now so I expect anything like this would rear its head this week but the above is what I'm going on.

Advertisement