Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use Nestle carnation condensed milk

• 01-09-2018 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I have the ingredients for Banoffee pie and picked up nestle carnation condensed milk 397g tins. I expected to be able to spoon this into the pie but the recipe on the tin says to stir into butter & sugar while heating. Is this necessary or can I just boil the tins for an hour? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just follow the recipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

You can buy Nestle Carnation Caramel sauce where they have done all the hard work with the condensed milk

Boiling the can is quite dangerous I believe and maybe won't produce caramel sauce https://www.mlive.com/food/index.ssf/2009/02/cooking_sweetened_condensed_mi.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28 caipin

You can completely submerge the can in a pot of boiling water but this method takes hours and if the can isn't kept completely covered at all times it can explode. It does work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I should have bought caramel in a can. Does anyone know of any other uses for nestle carnation condensed milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Make Bounty truffles. I'll dig out the recipe tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

You can buy it in most Polish shops. It is condensed milk that has already been boiled to turn it into toffee.
    It's called massokai Markova ( phonetic spelling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

You can boil them as described, an hour wouldn't do it though, and get lovely caramel which is nice and thick. I find the tins of caramel quite runny but will do the job. Or you can boil up the milk with sugar etc as for normal caramel recipes.

You can use the condensed milk in chocolate biscuit cake if you like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Logo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I should have bought caramel in a can. Does anyone know of any other uses for nestle carnation condensed milk?

It’s essential for a good key lime pie.
    https://www.carnation.co.uk/Recipes/6/Key-Lime-Pie-Recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Curious78

You could just use it to make caramel.

225g Caster sugar
    225g unsalted butter
    5 Tablespoons golden syrup
    397ml nestle full cream condensed milk

Takes about 25 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

Made this for Christmas dinner last year

https://www.nestlechoosewellness.com.au/recipes/baked-cheesecake/

or for something quick and easy - brigadeiro (brazilian truffles)

http://floursandfrostings.com/brigadeiros-condensed-milk-fudge-truffles-recipe/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does anyone know of any other uses for nestle carnation condensed milk?
    When I was a kid we used to have condensed milk sandwiches sometimes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Add it to coffee to make Vietnamese coffees.

If you decide to make caramel from it, be sure to heat gently and keep an eye on it. It will catch quite easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Curious78 wrote: »
    You could just use it to make caramel.

225g Caster sugar
    225g unsalted butter
    5 Tablespoons golden syrup
    397ml nestle full cream condensed milk

Takes about 25 minutes

This and plenty of stirring. This is the way I always make my caramel for banoffi. Delicious

Millionaire shortbread: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/22774/chocolate-caramel-shortbread.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was in Aldi recently and they had tins of caramel next to the condensed milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Caramel squares.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056409066

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was having problems making Millionaire's Shortbread until I found the recipe here in the Cooking Club. Have made it many times now and is gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Coconut Ladoos

15363207148_41f699b390_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

They look nice, and very easy but I daren't even guess at the calories! Also what the heck to do with the other half tin of condensed milk! Oh yes, make a double batch! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

dudara wrote: »
    I was in Aldi recently and they had tins of caramel next to the condensed milk.

Yep, I use the aldi tins condensed milk and caramel in my baking. I'm guessing they're the nestle ones relabelled given they're the only ones who seem to otherwise produce it? Much cheaper and always work fine for me in recipes that call for condensed milk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You can buy it in most Polish shops. It is condensed milk that has already been boiled to turn it into toffee.
    It's called massokai Markova ( phonetic spelling)

All the big supermarkets do it now anyway too. Same brand as the condensed milk and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just open the tin and stick a spoon straight in :D

Advertisement