Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

80s electrical wiring shortcuts

• 01-09-2018 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

As in using a plug to push wires into a socket. Everyone did this back in the day. Electricians were the worst for it. Who remembers it. I don’t know if there’s a proper term for it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

As in using a plug to push wires into a socket. Everyone did this back in the day. Electricians were the worst for it. Who remembers it. I don’t know if there’s a proper term for it

I prefer to pull my wire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I prefer to pull my wire

Shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

When consumer units were called fuse boards, if a fuse blew and you hadn't a spare, you could stick silver foil in the fuse socket as a temporary replacement, unfortunately it wasn't always temporary. Minature circuit breakers (MCBs) have largely done away with the need to have a stock of spare fuses (or silver foil).

I wish I could think of more examples but my memory power isn't watt it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I think I know where the nickname "sparks" came from so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Vita nova wrote: »
    When consumer units were called fuse boards, if a fuse blew and you hadn't a spare, you could stick silver foil in the fuse socket as a temporary replacement, unfortunately it wasn't always temporary. Minature circuit breakers (MCBs) have largely done away with the need to have a stock of spare fuses (or silver foil).

A penny was a more long-term solution than tinfoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cigarette pack foil instead of fuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

colm_mcm wrote: »

Did that once, just as the EHS manager was walking past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

There was an Irish version of this advert from the early 80's too, if I remember correctly. Can't find it anywhere though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

We had one of those houses that had round plug pins instead of rectangular ones. You would stick a pencil in to the earth hole and that would open the "safety" catch on the live and neutral holes so you could stick the wires in.
    The plugs had no fuses in them and the fusebox looked like something out of a b-movie horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ive taken the live pin out of a plug and replaced it with the neutral from an old one, saves the whole fuse bother- very handy on the welder, have a socket in the workshop that bypasses fuse board for same reason, that gem was done by a sparks in early 70’s

Back in 70’s there weren’t many sockets in houses so piggy backing wires in along with another plug was common, or wiring two appliances into one plug.

Or turn a plug upside down and you can use the earth pin to open the safety guard inside and just push the wires in to L and N, take out Earth pin and the safety guard holds in the wires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

As in using a plug to push wires into a socket.

:confused:

i don't quite get ya on that one, any photo eg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

fryup wrote: »
    :confused:

i don't quite get ya on that one, any photo eg

https://goo.gl/images/Ex8qEq

See wires not in plug just jammed in with pins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

When I was an apprentice b, I can remember an older electrician tipping a wire he suspected was live on the back of his hand to see if was live.

There was slight logic in the sense his hand wouldn't contract and grip the live cable.

I used the more traditional method of accidentally bumping of the live .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Use a meter Sideshow Bob. Use a meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭MY BAD

When I was an apprentice b, I can remember an older electrician tipping a wire he suspected was live on the back of his hand to see if was live.
    We mush have worked with the same guy :eek:

There was slight logic in the sense his hand wouldn't contract and grip the live cable.

I used the more traditional method of accidentally bumping of the live .
    We mush have worked with the same guy :eek:
    Nothing like a slap of 400V on a Monday morning to wake you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

_Brian wrote: »
    Ive taken the live pin out of a plug and replaced it with the neutral from an old one, saves the whole fuse bother- very handy on the welder, have a socket in the workshop that bypasses fuse board for same reason, that gem was done by a sparks in early 70’s

Back in 70’s there weren’t many sockets in houses so piggy backing wires in along with another plug was common, or wiring two appliances into one plug.

Or turn a plug upside down and you can use the earth pin to open the safety guard inside and just push the wires in to L and N, take out Earth pin and the safety guard holds in the wires.

Especially when two appliances went together such as the TV and VCR.

Speaking of a dearth of sockets, I remember adapters for ceiling lights that allowed you to run other appliances off the light socket in addition to the light bulb. It was usually a Y/T fitting with a bayonet plug on one end and 2 bayonet sockets on the other end. The adapter was plugged into the light fitting and the bulb was plugged into one of the sockets and a light fitting plug into the other socket to power another appliance. I haven't seen those adapters or plugs in ages... were probably even illegal when I saw them.

They were never legal even in the 60's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Nothing like a slap of 400V on a Monday morning to wake you up.

It would've sorted out all these young fellahs strolling around in their fancy Snickers and stupid lookin' haircuts.

And another thing , there was no accidents on building sites before that Safe Pass ****e came in either.

• Advertisement

Vita nova wrote: »
    Speaking of a dearth of sockets, I remember adapters for ceiling lights that allowed you to run other appliances off the light socket in addition to the light bulb. It was usually a Y/T fitting with a bayonet plug on one end and 2 bayonet sockets on the other end. The adapter was plugged into the light fitting and the bulb was plugged into one of the sockets and a light fitting plug into the other socket to power another appliance. I haven't seen those adapters or plugs in ages... were probably even illegal when I saw them.

I still use those here - they are pretty commonly available in street vendors stores. I always have one in my bag when on camping trips or in the mountains - handy for charging a battery or two when only a light fitting is available.

Meter board at my current apartment....

Note the green insulating tape where they cut the power to the apartment for not paying the bill on time. Also, brown wire = live. Blue wire = maybe live. Green/yellow wire = more than likely live. It's also where I park my bike, so at least now and again, bike = live.

ZPhcVdFl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭black & white

colm_mcm wrote: »

When I was an apprentice in the late 70’s /early 80’s, that was known as a PJ Carroll fuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

mike_ie wrote: »

There was an Irish version of this advert from the early 80's too, if I remember correctly. Can't find it anywhere though.

I remember that too, Id say it was the same ad but dubbed over for the irish version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

We used to run the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity.

Can't believe I'm first in with that thigh-slapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

An elderly very distant relative asked me to take a look at his sitting room/kitchen sockets as they'd stopped working.
    Turned out he was running the fridge,telly and bar heater from the sacred heart lamp holder through one of those y-adapters.

Seems when the ESB were wiring houses in the 40s/50s you had the choice of a sacred heart lamp or an extra socket.

Oh,and he had the gas cooker in the jacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good times.

Advertisement