Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    SOB 3.0 scored a double
    other Connacht tries De Buitlear, C.McKeon and Fitzgerald (who seems to have been 100% with the conversions).
    We were leading after an hour, just like vs Munste,r so the A team, before U20 guys come in from the beench, looks all-right

How did Copeland go? Any players really standout?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    connachta wrote: »
    SOB 3.0 scored a double
    other Connacht tries De Buitlear, C.McKeon and Fitzgerald (who seems to have been 100% with the conversions).
    We were leading after an hour, just like vs Munste,r so the A team, before U20 guys come in from the beench, looks all-right

How did Copeland go? Any players really standout?
    Was based on the twitter highlights compilated sorry I wasn't in Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Am I correct in saying the next game is in Corinthian Park on Friday at half 2?

The Friend Zone
    Am I correct in saying the next game is in Corinthian Park on Friday at half 2?

Announced today that it’s in athlone.

The Friend Zone
    According to the 42, Buckley, McCartney, Copeland and Farrell are back in contention for this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

According to the 42, Buckley, McCartney, Copeland  and Farrell are back in contention for this weekend
    With Bundee and Fainga'a full integrated, we can say, for once, we're 100% full-strengh. McKeon/Reece (defence) are outside the main 23 anyway IMO.

So no excuse we have to win!!!

The Friend Zone
    I’d expect to see a change in the back row
    I’d go for
    6 butler
    7 faingaa
    8 Copeland
    20 sob

Boyle has been right up there with best preformers so far this season, but he’s played a lot so far for a young lad and think he’s due a break so that he can slot back in for the Leinster match. Copeland and faingaa should add a lot of experience.

I hope Conan will be on the bench and not dropped completely. He had a rough day out last week but give him a chance to show he’s learned from it.

Bundee and Farrell in centre and kelleher back into the back three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    I see Ian Davies has been appointed as the TMO for Cardiff V Munster this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FirstFiveEigth

Has anybody seen Copeland play at lock previously? and if so was he any use? Was wondering to myself would this be a good option for us, at 6'5'' he's tall enough and we've been lacking a real lineout leader IMO since the loss of Aly Muldowney. I see both Quinn and Ultan more as no.4 locks than 5s. Also, we'd have the benefit of 4 backrowers on the pitch at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Has anybody seen Copeland play at lock previously? and if so was he any use? Was wondering to myself would this be a good option for us, at 6'5'' he's tall enough and we've been lacking a real lineout leader IMO since the loss of Aly Muldowney. I see both Quinn and Ultan more as no.4 locks than 5s. Also, we'd have the benefit of 4 backrowers on the pitch at once.
    He's played a bit in the second row and he's ok there but is better in back row. He's more than tall enough. Not many can but you can cover the row from 6'4 up but thats only if you're exceptional. Even if he did play there i wouldnt see Copeland as a lineout leader and i wouldnt see both Quinn and Ultan as more 4s than 5s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    Thornbury is a good line out option. And Cannon should be at 204 cm.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Thornbury is a good line out option. And Cannon should be at 204 cm.

Agreed on both, Thornbury has impressed toward the end of last season and beginning of this, Cannon's also decent but I dont think he contributes enough from open play, he's not really a dominant ball carrier. My thinking behind the Copeland idea was that you get 4 backrows on the field and I'd imagine he'd be more useful than those mentioned as a distributor if we use a 2-4-2 shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Agreed on both, Thornbury has impressed toward the end of last season and beginning of this, Cannon's also decent but I dont think he contributes enough from open play, he's not really a dominant ball carrier. My thinking behind the Copeland idea was that you get 4 backrows on the field and I'd imagine he'd be more useful than those mentioned as a distributor if we use a 2-4-2 shape.

Partner Copeland with Roux and the lineout would struggle. Partner him with anyone else and the scrum would struggle. Also second rows are generally relied upon to hit more rucks than anyone else on the team, and I haven’t seen much from Copeland to suggest he has that in his locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    I was just looking at Cardiff v Munster tonight.
    If Cardiff lost they will have lost two home games and two away games to the Italians.
    Hard to see how they could win half their games given a start like that.
    They are playing well but I get the feeling tonight is already make or break for them when it comes to top three.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Conan O’Donnell and Shane Delahunt starting for the eagles tonight. https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-eagles-team-named-for-ospreys-a-clash-in-athlone/

Presumably Buckley and McCartney are in 23 for tomorrow.

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Conan O’Donnell and Shane Delahunt starting for the eagles tonight. https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-eagles-team-named-for-ospreys-a-clash-in-athlone/

Presumably Buckley and McCartney are in 23 for tomorrow.

Copeland not involved with eagles too so he could be up with seniors. Cannon involved with so seniors should be from thornbury, dillane and roux

The Friend Zone
    https://www.connachtrugby.ie/copeland-set-for-debut-as-connacht-take-on-the-scarlets-in-the-sportsground/

Team named. starts for Copeland Bundee Farell. Buckley back Kelleher in for Niyi. No Boyle and Thornbury starts Dillane is sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chex LeMeneux

KBurke85 wrote: »
    https://www.connachtrugby.ie/copeland-set-for-debut-as-connacht-take-on-the-scarlets-in-the-sportsground/

Team named. starts for Copeland Bundee Farell. Buckley back Kelleher in for Niyi. No Boyle and Thornbury starts Dillane is sub.

Like the look of that team. Arguably first choice front row, half backs, centres and back 3.Decent amount of firepower from the bench in Tom, Dillane, Colby and Niyi. Would be hopeful for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    I see the European jersey was launched lastnight. Not much fanfare online it seems. I like it. I do have to saw we've raped the Seattle Seahawks for design and colour with the navy, grey and lime green.

On that team, I guess that's the strongest available. Don't really have much to say on it other than that

evil_seed wrote: »
    I see the European jersey was launched lastnight. Not much fanfare online it seems. I like it. I do have to saw we've raped the Seattle Seahawks for design and colour with the navy, grey and lime green.

On that team, I guess that's the strongest available. Don't really have much to say on it other than that

I have to say I really wish we'd give up on the whole European jersey idea, or at least make it green. I know it's a commercial decision but I think it's pretty disrespectful to the fans to launch 3 new shirts each season, not that anybody is obliged to purchase any of them.

Also, why on earth are we wearing our away kit at home tomorrow? Again money above tradition.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    I have to say I really wish we'd give up on the whole European jersey idea, or at least make it green. I know it's a commercial decision but I think it's pretty disrespectful to the fans to launch 3 new shirts each season, not that anybody is obliged to purchase any of them.

Also, why on earth are we wearing our away kit at home tomorrow? Again money above tradition.

Unfortunately It's money that is needed to help with budgets, to sign players and to ultimately improve the whole club. We make less from our crowds and attendances so we have to make up for it somewhere I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    Unfortunately It's money that is needed to help with budgets, to sign players and to ultimately improve the whole club. We make less from our crowds and attendances so we have to make up for it somewhere I guess.

I think most clubs seem to have 3+ jerseys these days (not saying I agree with it but we are not the only club doing it)

I guess it all goes to raising money for the club at the end of the day to try and make us better.

testtech05 wrote: »
    I think most clubs seem to have 3+ jerseys these days (not saying I agree with it but we are not the only club doing it)

I guess it all goes to raising money for the club at the end of the day to try and make us better.

Yeah I guess it must bring in decent revenue or else clubs wouldn't be bothered with it, I just hate it personally and find it quite tacky, regardless of what everyone else is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Tradition would actually be the home team changing jersey in the event of a clash.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Tradition would actually be the home team changing jersey in the event of a clash.

Exactly, this is just a commercial exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Exactly, this is just a commercial exercise
    so what if it is? It brings in enough income to make it worthwhile so what's the issue. No obligation to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    No one's making anyone buy any jersey. I like to get them the green and grey are nice jerseys

Like if anything the white washing of the crest is annoying

The Friend Zone
    What age group is Hugh Lane in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    What age group is Hugh Lane in?

U-20s this season, he played for Ireland u-19s last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Mul, it's over
    Does anyone know what time the ticket office in the Sportsground will be open tomorrow? Want to head into town and pick up a ticket well ahead of the match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement