Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Worth noting that Ulster's result is also good for us. Currently we're the 4th ranked Irish team, as they are 2 points ahead of us, which would put us in a much tougher conference next season. If we can finish higher than them we would end up in a conference with the King's and Dragons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Has it been clarified exactly how conferences will be selected? Eg. If Ulster and Connacht both finish third and both lose quarter finals, presumably the team with higher points is third ranked? Conversely if the team with fewer points were to make semis and the other didn’t, presumably they would be third ranked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Has it been clarified exactly how conferences will be selected? Eg. If Ulster and Connacht both finish third and both lose quarter finals, presumably the team with higher points is third ranked? Conversely if the team with fewer points were to make semis and the other didn’t, presumably they would be third ranked?

Points on the table in the conferences is what I’ve heard

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Points on the table in the conferences

Good stuff. Think there is a fair chance of Ulster losing against one of Edinburgh away or Leinster, though the latter less likely if Leinster go with second string. Five points tomorrow and a win next week probably enough to be third ranked in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Is there stream available for todays match or where can we catch it?See Tg4 have deferred coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    mjp wrote: »
    Is there stream available for todays match or where can we catch it?See Tg4 have deferred coverage.

It's on eir sport 1/freesports in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Bazzo wrote:
    It's on eir sport 1/freesports in the UK

Lovely stuff. Didn't realise that.

The Friend Zone
    Anyone else pretty nervous about this match now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Definitely. We are pretty **** away from home in the league for the mostpart. I'll probably be haunted by losing with a full strength side to Ospreys academy in Bridgend.

Hopefully we can put in one of our best showings of the season today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I am. Since January
    A lot depends on McCoy (scrums) and Robb (nigtmare he had vs Dragons 2 years ago, or impacful addition he was vas Ospreys a month ago?)

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    I think the match has to be won by 60 odd minutes so carty can come off and wrap him up for a big 80 minutes next week.

Mul, it's over
    Not nervous at all, expect Connacht to win by 15 plus. May regret those words later but just think Connacht are a much better team. Had they gone all out v Sale last week might think differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Well we made very hard work of that but I suppose 4 points on the board and 4 ahead of Cardiff going into next week is a good result for the weekend.

Got out of jail! great resilience on the final 3 minute-defensive phases

And thank you mister Copeland for the final turnover.
    We need his physicality, I'd start him vs his ex-club next Saturday at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    connachta wrote: »
    And thank you mister Copeland for the final turnover.
    We need his physicality, I'd start him vs his ex-club next Saturday at 6
    Thought he made a big impact while he was on. Definitely put his hand up for selection.

Mul, it's over
    On the new conferences, Wales online article says it will be based on finishing positions so I guess connacht need Ulster to finish third or lower and get more points than them. Good news then that Edinburgh have come from 12-0 down to leading 20-12 v Scarlets. Also need Treviso to finish strong.

Pro14 really should clarify this though. It’s a bit ridiculous supporters not knowing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

in bits after that. did enjoy italian tv showing smoking hot women whenever they could a nice distraction..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Mick Kearney gone off for Leinster with a nasty looking injury. Might be his last game for them (in this latest stint with them anyway) before heading west if the rumours are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    On the new conferences, Wales online article says it will be based on finishing positions so I guess connacht need Ulster to finish third or lower and get more points than them. Good news then that Edinburgh have come from 12-0 down to leading 20-12 v Scarlets. Also need Treviso to finish strong.

Pro14 really should clarify this though. It’s a bit ridiculous supporters not knowing at this stage.

I thought it was always going to change after 2 seasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

in bits after that. did enjoy italian tv showing smoking hot women whenever they could a nice distraction..

My 14 year old daughter, who is too young to remember when that was common place says to me..."what the hell is going on with all the camera shots of women... seriously pervy...."
    She honestly didn't believe me when I said it used to be common place

Scarlets loss is good news.
    1 BP and no "heavy" loss should be enough for the home play-off. Assuming Glasgow don't f*** up home in the final day

Projection A clear, beat Cardiff 3rd
    Projection B 2 BP, likely Home play-off
    Projection B' 1 BP over 2 games Play-off decided home or away on goal-average, slightly favourable even with 2 losses vs 1 for Embra
    Projection C No point at all. Ospreys maybe 4th, no euro play-off, would be deserved

Mul, it's over
    I thought it was always going to change after 2 seasons

It was but as far as I know they haven’t clarified how the new conferences will be set. For example if Ulster were to finish 2nd and Connacht 3rd in their conference with more points than Ulster who would be the third ranked Irish team?

Based on the Wales online article it seems to be league position so Connacht need to at least match Ulsters position and have more points.

On paper there looks to be a serious gap between the new conferences too. Glasgow and Leinster will have two spots in top three locked up whereas in the other conference only Munster look nailed on for top three spots.

Being the third ranked Irish team is arguably as important as qualifying for play offs this season when considering future of Connacht.

The Friend Zone
    It was but as far as I know they haven’t clarified how the new conferences will be set. For example if Ulster were to finish 2nd and Connacht 3rd in their conference with more points than Ulster who would be the third ranked Irish team?

Based on the Wales online article it seems to be league position so Connacht need to at least match Ulsters position and have more points.

On paper there looks to be a serious gap between the new conferences too. Glasgow and Leinster will have two spots in top three locked up whereas in the other conference only Munster look nailed on for top three spots.

Being the third ranked Irish team is arguably as important as qualifying for play offs this season when considering future of Connacht.

You’d think the fairest thing would be to rank each teams based on the accumulated points over the two seasons. But it seems it’s just based on this season?

Mul, it's over
    You’d think the fairest thing would be to rank each teams based on the accumulated points over the two seasons. But it seems it’s just based on this season?

Agreed but that wouldn’t have a good ending for Connacht whereas at least this way (whatever it is) we are still in with a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Awful stuff last night but potentially a huge win in the context of the season. Could easily have been beaten and if we had lost the game a win against Cardiff might not have been enough to get third with Ospreys also still in the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

connachta wrote: »
    Projection A clear, beat Cardiff 3rd
    Projection B 2 BP, likely Home play-off
    Projection B' 1 BP over 2 games Play-off decided home or away on goal-average, slightly favourable even with 2 losses vs 1 for Embra
    Projection C No point at all. Ospreys maybe 4th, no euro play-off, would be deserved

Was it you that did the tables with how you thought the teams Connacht were up against for qualification would get on with each game? How close were the predictions so far? They were done from a good while ago I think

Awful stuff last night but potentially a huge win in the context of the season. Could easily have been beaten and if we had lost the game a win against Cardiff might not have been enough to get third with Ospreys also still in the running.

No. It would be enough. We'd be on 60 points, Ospreys can't reach more than 59

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Was it you that did the tables with how you thought the teams Connacht were up against for qualification would get on with each game? How close were the predictions so far? They were done from a good while ago I think

Assuming Ospreys vs Blues doesn't end in a nightmare 5-2 split for Neath-Swansea (we could be 5th)
    Scenario B and B' are based on Edinburgh winning 5 vs Ulster and 1 away vs Glasgow who'll have the 1st place to play for.
    57 points for them in this case. Scarlets aren't a threat for us anymore.
    We're on 56, One BP (TBP or LBP) may be enough to be the best 4th (home european play-off), because we have 46 goal-average advantage over Edinburgh.
    Two BP (maybe against less interested Munster) should be enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement