Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Godwin was a far bigger signing than bundee in terms of reputation before arriving here out west, bundee became the superstar he is today in connacht not with the chiefs otherwise they wouldn’t of let him go. Looking bag yes it was a major signing but at the time it wasn’t

Bundee was considered a major signing when we got him... There was a lot looking for him. His name today is far higher than then... He had no cap when he arrived.

Personally I don't mind seeing a young rising star from underage coming through...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Godwin was a far bigger signing than bundee in terms of reputation before arriving here out west, bundee became the superstar he is today in connacht not with the chiefs otherwise they wouldn’t of let him go. Looking bag yes it was a major signing but at the time it wasn’t

Wouldnt necessarily agree there. Munster and possibly Leinster were in for Bundee at the time and NZ were not too happy losing him. Rob Penney who was managing Munster at the time lost it when we signed him also . I'd be doubtful Godwin was as competitive (although a fairly high profile signing no doubt)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

That's not how it was at all, quite the opposite in fact - he was one of the biggest names in NZ rugby outside of the ABs squad and it caused a fair bit of controversy there when he was lost to the northern hemisphere. The Chiefs couldn't afford to match the money offered to him and we also outbid Glasgow Warriors and Munster to sign him.

That's not how it was at all, quite the opposite in fact - he was one of the biggest names in NZ rugby outside of the ABs squad and it caused a fair bit of controversy there when he was lost to the northern hemisphere. The Chiefs couldn't afford to match the money offered to him and we also outbid Glasgow Warriors and Munster to sign him.

From what I've been told, thats not true at all.
    We made the exact same bid as Munster. In fact, Bundee was very close to signing for Munster, but then a phone call from Mils Muliaina, who was joining us that summer too, convinced Bundee to join us.
    It also helped that Craig Clarke, Bundees old captain from the Chiefs was playing with us at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

From what I've been told, thats not true at all.
    We made the exact same bid as Munster. In fact, Bundee was very close to signing for Munster, but then a phone call from Mils Muliaina, who was joining us that summer too, convinced Bundee to join us.
    It also helped that Craig Clarke, Bundees old captain from the Chiefs was playing with us at the time

It was reported at the time that Connacht had outbid Munster (300k vs 200-250k IIRC. There is/was a rule that provinces could not outbid each other for players in the Irish system, but this didn't apply to a player in the NZ system obviously. IIRC it caused quite a stir at the time that Connacht had the resources to outbid Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Presumably the departing players will be announced this week so they can get the post match send off on Saturday as normal after last home game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Presumably the departing players will be announced this week so they can get the post match send off on Saturday as normal after last home game?

Had thought the same yeah, would expect an announcement Thursday or Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Had thought the same yeah, would expect an announcement Thursday or Friday

Confirmed players so far, feel free to add to this list

Props: Conan , Conor Carey
    Hooker:?
    Second row: James cannon, Peter claffey
    Back row: James Connolly
    Scrum half: James Mitchell, Conor Mckeon
    outhalf: Craig ronaldson
    Centre: Kieran Joyce, eoin Griffin (retiring)
    Back 3: Cian kelleher

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Are the bove your guess highlighted in green who i believe will be kept.

The Friend Zone

Are they all confirmed? Only saw officially Carey and kelleher and Connolly was rumored to be leaving in a paper.

That’s a lot bigger turnover in players than I expected. Can see reasons for all leaving though. Big recruitment needed though

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Would be surprised if Conan O’Donnell is going

The Friend Zone
    Would be surprised if Conan O’Donnell is going

I would be too to be fair. He probably wouldn’t be first choice but good squad player being able to cover both sides

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    It was reported at the time that Connacht had outbid Munster (300k vs 200-250k IIRC. There is/was a rule that provinces could not outbid each other for players in the Irish system, but this didn't apply to a player in the NZ system obviously. IIRC it caused quite a stir at the time that Connacht had the resources to outbid Munster.

Hard to believe that. The IRFU control and authorise all.

I heard Aki went to Connacht to be guaranteed his place on the starting 15.

Mul, it's over
    I would be too to be fair. He probably wouldn’t be first choice but good squad player being able to cover both sides

Yep and at 22, still very young for a prop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hard to believe that. The IRFU control and authorise all.

I heard Aki went to Connacht to be guaranteed his place on the starting 15.

Really? You don't think he would have walked into Munster's team at the time? That's not at all credible.

The Friend Zone
    Yep and at 22, still very young for a prop.

Adding in that he’s a Connacht man

The Friend Zone
    No sign of bealham in training pics, as expected really.
    Team id pick would be:

Buckley delahunt McCoy
    Dillane roux
    Butler Copeland faingaa
    Marmion carty
    Bundee Farrell
    Healy toh leader

Heffernan, McCabe, Carey/Conan, thornbury, mckeon/Boyle, blade, Godwin, Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Mike Adamson reffing Sat

The Friend Zone
    https://inpho.ie/media/EE6gGj7I25y2qdHU4rnffA..a?ts=o-NEdiE1WKT9BmS6jPW3Iw..a

Anyone know who that is the the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Conor Dean?...

Tom Farrell is on the training pics too. The eyes doesn't look good though.
    Robb/Daly/Joyce all appear to pair with Bundee, in case.

No Godwin, No Carey...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

connachta wrote: »
    Conor Dean?...

Tom Farrell is on the training pics too. The eyes doesn't look good though.
    Robb/Daly/Joyce all appear to pair with Bundee, in case.

No Godwin, No Carey...

Ah I'm sure Farrell's fine. It's just a shiner. If there was any damage he wouldn't be training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Worrying for Conan O'Donnell

1) Buckey, McAlister, McCabe, Burke
    3) Bealham, NIQ, McCoy, Kenny....

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

6 connacht players in Irish u18 schools squad, Diarmuid kilcommins , Shane Jennings, Oisín McCormack , Diarmuid McCormack, darragh Murray

Mul, it's over
    6 connacht players in Irish u18 schools squad, Diarmuid kilcommins , Shane Jennings, Oisín McCormack , Diarmuid McCormack, darragh Murray

Very impressive number, this must be a record? We usually have 0-1 in the schools squad as far as I recall.

The Friend Zone
    Very impressive number, this must be a record? We usually have 0-1 in the schools squad as far as I recall.

Is that schools or the schools and clubs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

connachta wrote: »
    Worrying for Conan O'Donnell

1) Buckey, McAlister, McCabe, Burke
    3) Bealham, NIQ, McCoy, Kenny....

O’Donnell was upgraded to a senior contract this season so it may have being a 2 year and still seems to be ahead of Burke and Kenny plus can cover both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Is that schools or the schools and clubs ?

Looks to be the schools squad https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/04/09/ireland-u18-schools-squad-named-for-six-nations-festival/

Lebute wrote: »
    O’Donnell was upgraded to a senior contract this season so it may have being a 2 year and still seems to be ahead of Burke and Kenny plus can cover both sides

I know that but we won't have 9 props and we can't go in Champions Cup without a marquee NIQ

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/setback-for-connacht-as-quinn-roux-ruled-out-of-crunch-cardiff-clash-1.3854822?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No Quinn Roux. Less penalties conceeded.. But Thornbury has to prove how good he is
    Farrell in. Massive boost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement