Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

Of all the players being let go, McCabe looks to be the biggest loss.
    Ronaldson should remembered most fondly of all the players who are leaving though.

Of all of the others, none will really be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    The Freejacks are trying to recruit a couple of these lads. I know that they spoke to Mitchell. It would be good business if they could sign a couple. Mlr needs to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Shame Ronaldson has been ruined by injuries. Not too many years ago a lot of us (myself included) wanted him in ahead of Carty. Great servant to the province regardless. Wish him, Griffin and all departing Connacht players the very best of luck in whatever lies ahead. Presume from the wording that Ronaldson wants to continue on as a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Looks to me like this is the squad for next year. X for a position I feel needs to be recruited.

Buckley McAllister Burke
    Delahunt heffernan McCartney Murphy
    Bealham x McCoy Kenny
    Dillane thornbury maksymiw
    Roux x Gallagher
    Sob mckeon masterson
    Faingaa x
    Butler Boyle Copeland
    Marmion blade Lloyd kerins
    Carty x Horwitz Fitzgerald
    Healy Fitzgerald de buitlear
    Bundee robb Daly
    Farrell Godwin
    X niyi
    Toh leader x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Delahunt and Robb have extended their contracts.

Great, great, news

• Advertisement

So, only 3 TH (McCoy, Bealhan, Kenny) and 2 LH (Buckley, McAlister, Burke); 2 signings to come.. Duggan and ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

connachta wrote: »
    So, only 3 TH (McCoy, Bealhan, Kenny) and 2 LH (Buckley, McAlister, Burke); 2 signings to come.. Duggan and ????

Duggan is already in the academy, unless you’re suggesting he might get a senior deal?

Duggan is already in the academy, unless you’re suggesting he might get a senior deal?

I'm suggesting we can have 7 senior props and 1 from Academy. But who'll be the 7th?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Ronaldson was an excellent player for Connacht. Superb in title winning season and when he came back from injury the following season for a few games he was playing and kicking brilliantly, particularly excellent against Toulouse at home.

Always thought he looked better at 12 than 10, I guess Connacht required someone in the position but trying to move him back there didn’t help him, along with injuries obviously.

Griffin was a great prospect when he burst on to the scene, seemed to lose a bit of pace with injuries and never looked the same since returning from London Irish.

Bit surprised at Conan O’Donnell, hopefully he kicks on elsewhere. Guessing it might be a one year deal for Robb given his injury record, hope Delahunt signed on for two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Ronaldson was an excellent player for Connacht. Superb in title winning season and when he came back from injury the following season for a few games he was playing and kicking brilliantly, particularly excellent against Toulouse at home.

Always thought he looked better at 12 than 10, I guess Connacht required someone in the position but trying to move him back there didn’t help him, along with injuries obviously.

Griffin was a great prospect when he burst on to the scene, seemed to lose a bit of pace with injuries and never looked the same since returning from London Irish.

Bit surprised at Conan O’Donnell, hopefully he kicks on elsewhere. Guessing it might be a one year deal for Robb given his injury record, hope Delahunt signed on for two though.

Ronaldson was incredible in the European playoff in 2017 as well.

• Advertisement

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Looks to me like this is the squad for next year. X for a position I feel needs to be recruited.

Buckley McAllister Burke
    Delahunt heffernan McCartney Murphy
    Bealham x McCoy Kenny
    Dillane thornbury maksymiw
    Roux x Gallagher
    Sob mckeon masterson
    Faingaa x
    Butler Boyle Copeland
    Marmion blade Lloyd kerins
    Carty x Horwitz Fitzgerald
    Healy Fitzgerald de buitlear
    Bundee robb Daly
    Farrell Godwin
    X niyi
    Toh leader x

Perfect summary. Just don't think we'll recruit 2 back-3 players, 7 would be ok with one marquee signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Perfect summary. Just don't think we'll recruit 2 back-3 players, 7 would be ok with one marquee signing.

Probably only need one back 3 signing. Godwin can play there if we're stuck and we have Kieran Joyce who can play in the centre

The Friend Zone

I was thinking more a marquee signing and then promote an academy player or sign someone like jack Kelly from Leinster

The Friend Zone
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    Probably only need one back 3 signing. Godwin can play there if we're stuck and we have Kieran Joyce who can play in the centre

Rumors were Joyce was being let go, he’s an academy player still so wouldn’t have been included on the list yesterday

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Rumors were Joyce was being let go, he’s an academy player still so wouldn’t have been included on the list yesterday

That seems strange. I thought he did well when he played earlier in the season. Wondering are they sending a message to academy lads by letting the like of O'Donnell and Joyce go by and saying just because you've played for the senior team you haven't made it and have to keep working hard,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Absolutely the correct decision not to sign him but **** me is Sevu Reece exactly the kind of player this team is screaming out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Absolutely the correct decision not to sign him but **** me is Sevu Reece exactly the kind of player this team is screaming out for.

giphy.gif

Mul, it's over
    ...what **** again, exactly?

The Friend Zone
    ...what **** again, exactly?

I assume he means people talking about Reece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me

Nothing you say before the word "but" really counts...

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over

Ok then, let me be implicitly clear with no buts: Connacht were absolutely correct not to sign Sevu Reece.

On an unrelated note. Seeing as it's contract season and looking at the needs of the team I hope Connacht manage to announce a signing of a back 3 player similar in style and calibre to the right wing for crusaders today. I thought the intent of my original post was pretty clear but hopefully everyone is happier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone

Dont know what your trying to infer with this very helpful post

Moving on, still very surprised we are moving on McCabe as he has improved a lot this year in my books. Havent seen much of Burke, how well is rated?

Very very happy with this team.
    Heffernan, Boyle and Blade to start in particular, I think it's the right calls

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Strong team but not a lot of impact off the bench. It was tight in Cork last week til Munster were able to spring Beirne and Stander, who both made a huge impact. Very nervous about this one...

https://t.co/0ENVJoPg06
    No Williams no Decey :D

Zzippy wrote: »
    Strong team but not a lot of impact off the bench. It was tight in Cork last week til Munster were able to spring Beirne and Stander, who both made a huge impact. Very nervous about this one...

Ok for front-5 but Robin Copeland, Kieran Marmion, Tom Daly, Cian Kelleher, these are hell of an impact!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ok for front-5 but Robin Copeland, Kieran Marmion, Tom Daly, Cian Kelleher, these are hell of an impact!

They're not game changing impact though. I'm more worried about the scrum, especially when the front row is replaced. We have possibly our lightest second row pairing pushing too...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    They're not game changing impact though. I'm more worried about the scrum, especially when the front row is replaced. We have possibly our lightest second row pairing pushing too...
    You can count on Arhip earning a card when he comes on.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone

Delahunt, Copeland and Marmion are all very capable of making impact of the bench. Carey, Daly and cannon have been solid too. Big test for Burke when he gets on. A fresh kelleher against a tiring team could be brilliant but also liable defensively

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement