Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Guaranteed 3rd so play-offs and Champions Cup next season, great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    How on earth was that try not awarded for Cardiff? The still pictures are pretty clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    That'll do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Definitely looks like we came out the right side of some decisions but will take it. Thought the second half performance was damn impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Definitely looks like we came out the right side of some decisions but will take it. Thought the second half performance was damn impressive.

The Cardiff try in the corner definitely. Didn't think there was anything wrong with Helay's try. Pretty sure it was knocked back by a Cardiff hand. Bit of luck alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The Cardiff support online is especially bitter tonight, even by their usual standards of bitterness. No question the breaks went our way today but I've seen as bad and worse many times from Welsh TMOs in games involving Irish and Welsh teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

Don't look at the comments. Just enjoy the win and what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Worth pointing out that copeland has had really good spells from the bench for the last three games. Earning his place the squad with the turnover and then forcing the error on the restart.

Going to be very hard to pick 4/5 between him Mckeon Boyle butler and fai'angaa. All in form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

so it's Ulster in the play-off I assume, the munster match will be a bit meaningless at least for Connacht and also for munster if Glasgow win their game earlier in the afternoon

typhoony wrote: »
    so it's Ulster in the play-off I assume, the munster match will be a bit meaningless at least for Connacht and also for munster if Glasgow win their game earlier in the afternoon

The two games kick off at the same time AFAIK. So Munster will be going for it. It seems like there is little incentive for us going to Thomond. I would be happy for us to make 11 or 12 changes and keep our front liners back for the quarter final. We'd probably ship a heavy defeat but it doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

With Connacht in the CC I presume a couple of big signings will be made. They probably need both a LH and a TH and a quality winger.

Mul, it's over
    With Connacht in the CC I presume a couple of big signings will be made. They probably need both a LH and a TH and a quality winger.

Pretty sure Paddy McAllister was the big loosehead signing. 100% will be a tighthead coming though it's difficult to know how high profile, big name tightheads command some of the largest salaries in the game so they may well be looking for a younger or moneyball type signing. The Reece signing fell through so you'd imagine there'll be a back 3 coming in but then again Fitzgerald has been signed and de Buitléar has done well when called on, might be bumped to a senior contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over

Liking this out of pure excitement rather than any belief it's TRUE ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Great day

Need a tighthead, a winger and another decent 10 I would say. A back up second row is needed as well, will probably be Mick Kearney. Hopefully we might have one or two big names lined up.

Wouldn't be surprised if we take another squad player or two from Leinster, as ever they have massive strength in depth, hopefully there are lads there that are not happy just playing the lesser pro 14 games and want a crack at the champions cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Pretty sure Paddy McAllister was the big loosehead signing. 100% will be a tighthead coming though it's difficult to know how high profile, big name tightheads command some of the largest salaries in the game so they may well be looking for a younger or moneyball type signing. The Reece signing fell through so you'd imagine there'll be a back 3 coming in but then again Fitzgerald has been signed and de Buitléar has done well when called on, might be bumped to a senior contract.
    Fitzgerald is a good signing but I feel we need someone who brings something a bit different in the back 3 still. All our wingers are more pacy than powerful and it would do no harm to have an option akin to what Lowe is for leinster

Th is needed with Carey leaving. He had another good game today. Sorry to see him go.

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    Fitzgerald is a good signing but I feel we need someone who brings something a bit different in the back 3 still. All our wingers are more pacy than powerful and it would do no harm to have an option akin to what Lowe is for leinster

Th is needed with Carey leaving. He had another good game today. Sorry to see him go.

I don't disagree, Leader is our only back 3 who's closer to power than pace(though he has both), I just don't know if management will look at the numbers we have there and go looking for another signing.

Mul, it's over
    It's gonna be the (well deserved) Jack Carty appreciation evening tonight. Man of the match in the pivotal match of the season, supporters player of the year after the match, just picked up the try of the year award and would imagine there'll be more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    It's gonna be the (well deserved) Jack Carty appreciation evening tonight. Man of the match in the pivotal match of the season, supporters player of the year after the match, just picked up the try of the year award and would imagine there'll be more to come.

Blade has won supporters player of the year and Colby has won players player of the year

Mul, it's over
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    Blade has won supporters player of the year and Colby has won players player of the year

Yeah I guess I should have been clearer, he won the Clan player of the year which is the supporters club player of the year obviously.

Bit surprised he didn't pick up either of those two but Fainga'a and Blade are well deserving winners all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

freyners wrote: »
    Fitzgerald is a good signing but I feel we need someone who brings something a bit different in the back 3 still. All our wingers are more pacy than powerful and it would do no harm to have an option akin to what Lowe is for leinster.

That's why I'm calling for. Physical winger among our "road-runners". Nadolo-style!

• Advertisement

I don't know if we'll get another 10
    And all in all we don't need a new backrow. We tend to forget SOB will be there

Butler/Faing'aa/Boyle
    McKeon/Masterson/Copeland
    SOB
    + Gallagher to cover 6

That would mean 4 injuries at the same time to have an Academy guy, on the bench. We shouldn't waste money on a senior contract for very few minutes of Rugby.

Big amount should be all put on high-standard NIQs TH and heavy winger.

We're in Champions Cup yay or nay? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

The Reece signing fell through so you'd imagine there'll be a back 3 coming in but then again Fitzgerald has been signed and de Buitléar has done well when called on, might be bumped to a senior contract.

Kelleher is gone too so I'd see Fitzgerald as his replacement. Still space for another.

Hopefully Horwitz will get have a run of fitness next year and take some of the load off Jack. He hasn't been great value this year but I he's a young guy in a new club. Copeland has only started hitting his stride now and he's had a much smaller move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Kelleher is gone too so I'd see Fitzgerald as his replacement. Still space for another.

Hopefully Horwitz will get have a run of fitness next year and take some of the load off Jack. He hasn't been great value this year but I he's a young guy in a new club. Copeland has only started hitting his stride now and he's had a much smaller move.

Scholes also left leaving possibly space for a de buitlear coming through or signing a fringe player from another province

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Scholes also left leaving possibly space for a de buitlear coming through or signing a fringe player from another province

Forgot about him. He seemed like a loss when he left Ulster. did he even get 5 games for Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

A poster on the 42 saying 2 munster forwards signing for Connacht for next season . How accurate I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Lebute wrote: »
    A poster on the 42 saying 2 munster forwards signing for Connacht for next season . How accurate I don't know.

Had a look there, wouldn’t put too much faith in those comments. Don’t know if there will be many forwards leaving Munster who can add to Connacht anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Had a look there, wouldn’t put too much faith in those comments. Don’t know if there will be many forwards leaving Munster who can add to Connacht anyway.

Agree totally with you.

Lebute wrote: »

You'll pry Stephen Archer from my cold dead hands!!!

• Advertisement

I've called for a Nadolo style winger. Here he is. His brother :D Rumoured released by Montpellier (unused medical joker)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbCap_PWghU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement