Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Good solid 30 secs of coverage on Monday night rugby which consisted of Joe Molloy reading out try scorers and Liam Toland saying Carty is going well...

Understand smallest province etc but after biggest game in two years you would think they could rise to five minutes with someone who watched the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    You'll pry Stephen Archer from my cold dead hands!!!

If it's Archer I'll be looking for a refund of my season ticket, due to a lack of ambition from Connacht!

I'd rather have Rodney back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Zzippy wrote: »
    If it's Archer I'll be looking for a refund of my season ticket, due to a lack of ambition from Connacht!

It frustrates me when other teams’ fans give our players no credit and it frustrates me just as much when I see the same crap from our fans about the likes of Archer, Dave Kearney, Noel Reid, Luke McGrath, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It frustrates me when other teams’ fans give our players no credit and it frustrates me just as much when I see the same crap from our fans about the likes of Archer, Dave Kearney, Noel Reid, Luke McGrath, etc.

The thing is, I'm not sure if there is any greater critic of those above than supporters of their own teams.

Archer was literally a danger to himself earlier in his career but he has improved massively to the point where he is a solid European Champions Cup level tighthead. Dave Kearney has been Leinster's best winger in 2019 but you'll find plenty of Leinster fans who wouldn't have him in the 23 this weekend.

Mud sticks and if people find a stick to beat a player with, that won't go away overnight....or ever, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Zzippy wrote: »

That's harsh. Archer is exactly the kind of player that you need to fill out a squad. A solid, hard working prop who can hold his own in a scrum. Fair enough he's not going to pick up many caps but he's a perfectly good tighthead.
    It's been a while since Connacht have had two tightheads who were as good in the scrum as he is.

... and you should see him with open grass. Nothing more majestic. It's like when a dog is taken to the beach for the first time.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Speaking of Rodney, he apparently had a stormer for Newcastle at the weekend and played the full match, some man to turn it on when contract is expiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Speaking of Rodney, he apparently had a stormer for Newcastle at the weekend and played the full match, some man to turn it on when contract is expiring.

Put him on a performamce based weekly renewal contract and had be the best player in the world.....

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    I cant imagine a connacht fan not being delighted to see Stephen archer arrive. would be a great addition.

Moot point anyway, why would Munster let him go

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Archer is under contract and is a regular in the first choice 23 and has made plenty starts in Europe. Why would he leave, unless there is a big name coming in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Archer is under contract and is a regular in the first choice 23 and has made plenty starts in Europe. Why would he leave, unless there is a big name coming in...

This all started from a comment on the 42 saying two Munster forwards were moving to Connacht( how reliable that is god only knows). Archers name got suggested here because it’s a position Connacht need. I personally can’t see archer moving at all. Tommy o donnell is anoth name mentioned over on the Connacht clan forum.

• Advertisement

Wegians89 wrote: »
    This all started from a comment on the 42 saying two Munster forwards were moving to Connacht( how reliable that is god only knows). Archers name got suggested here because it’s a position Connacht need. I personally can’t see archer moving at all. Tommy o donnell is anoth name mentioned over on the Connacht clan forum.

Yeah i just mentioned him as a bit of a joke. He's going nowhere

The Friend Zone
    Yeah i just mentioned him as a bit of a joke. He's going nowhere

He’d have been brilliant back up to bealham to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

People are harsh on McCoy. He's developping very well, there are good reasons he's been used ahead of Carey.
    He needs to last more than 50 minutes but he's ok. Archer won't be 1st choice. We need a 1st choice NIQ
    1) Top-class NIQ 2) Bealham 3) McCoy 4) Kenny

That's how we could compete in ChampionsCup

Put most money on a TH and powerful wing.
    We can do on low-money squad players elsewhere, with the quality we already have.

connachta wrote: »
    People are harsh on McCoy. He's developping very well, there are good reasons he's been used ahead of Carey.
    He needs to last more than 50 minutes but he's ok. Archer won't be 1st choice. We need a 1st choice NIQ
    1) Top-class NIQ 2) Bealham 3) McCoy 4) Kenny

That's how we could compete in ChampionsCup

Put most money on a TH and powerful wing.
    We can do on low-money squad players elsewhere, with the quality we already have.

I don't know if you need someone who's out and out better than Bealham. He's excellent in the loose and pretty good scrumager. If you could sign someone who was an excellent in the scrum and not incompetent around the park then you'd be in a decent place.

Same goes for Loose head actually.

The Friend Zone
    I don't know if you need someone who's out and out better than Bealham. He's excellent in the loose and pretty good scrumager. If you could sign someone who was an excellent in the scrum and not incompetent around the park then you'd be in a decent place.

Same goes for Loose head actually.

I’d agree, bealham should be still first choice. I think Connacht lose so much in an attacking since with out bealham playing. He runs hard lines near the try line and is one of the more regular scorers in the Connacht pack. He also had a brilliant passing game creating space for other forward with tip on passes or off loads.

I’d agree, bealham should be still first choice. I think Connacht lose so much in an attacking since with out bealham playing. He runs hard lines near the try line and is one of the more regular scorers in the Connacht pack. He also had a brilliant passing game creating space for other forward with tip on passes or off loads.

Or at least be in a position to make a horses for courses selection. Maybe you'd be in a situation where he's more useful as an impact in certain games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't rate Archer. Penalty machine in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    According to a tweet from the branch more tickets were sold for the sportsground this season than ever before. Good timing for the new stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »
    According to a tweet from the branch more tickets were sold for the sportsground this season than ever before. Good timing for the new stadium.

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Bazzo wrote: »

Highest demand, not highest sales !

Could well be highest sales , but it’s an interesting choice of words.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Ulster having some injury concerns ahead of playoff. Will Addison and Marty Moore out for season, Best currently out but they are hopeful he will be back, Stockdale damaged his hamstring against Edinburgh, will be ‘monitored’.

Connacht did a number on their scrum in Ravenhill earlier this season and without Moore this time should hopefully have the upper hand again there.

Roux, SOB and Godwin the only injuries for Connacht at the moment I think? Roux should be fine for Ulster as he had a virus, hopefully Godwin will be too.

Interesting to see what Connacht go with against Munster, no point risking key players I suppose but getting beaten out the gate wouldn’t be ideal preparation either.

The Friend Zone
    Ulster having some injury concerns ahead of playoff. Will Addison and Marty Moore out for season, Best currently out but they are hopeful he will be back, Stockdale damaged his hamstring against Edinburgh, will be ‘monitored’.

Connacht did a number on their scrum in Ravenhill earlier this season and without Moore this time should hopefully have the upper hand again there.

Roux, SOB and Godwin the only injuries for Connacht at the moment I think? Roux should be fine for Ulster as he had a virus, hopefully Godwin will be too.

Interesting to see what Connacht go with against Munster, no point risking key players I suppose but getting beaten out the gate wouldn’t be ideal preparation either.

With no rugby this weekend I think any of the first 15 who’s 100% fit will start. Anyone who has a tiny knock or anything probably won’t play. While there’s no need for it, winning in thomond would put a huge amount of momentum in the squad before going to Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over

Bealham also out at the minute though I know they were hopeful he'd be back for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over

Weirdly, if Glasgow were to only get an LBP against Edinburgh, Munster beating us out the gate kind of would be ideal.

Mul, it's over
    With no rugby this weekend I think any of the first 15 who’s 100% fit will start. Anyone who has a tiny knock or anything probably won’t play. While there’s no need for it, winning in thomond would put a huge amount of momentum in the squad before going to Belfast

Yeah that seems a reasonable approach with the exception of Carty, not sure he should be risked? Not playing him obviously decreases chance of winning massively but he has a fair bit of rugby this season and were he to get injured, it would be real disaster stuff.

Is Horwitz or Conor Fitzgerald any closer to a return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd be using the Munster match to give lads like Niyi, Daly, Cannon, Delahunt etc gametime in case they might be called upon for the Ulster match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Is there any indication whether the playoff will be on the Friday or Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Is there any indication whether the playoff will be on the Friday or Saturday?

I'd like to know this too, Saturday would be the only chance for me personally to go, I hope its announced before the last round is played.

Mul, it's over
    Both playoff games were on the Saturday last year and there was some rumours from Ulster fans online that Ravenhill staff had been told it would be Saturday.

• Advertisement

Yeah that seems a reasonable approach with the exception of Carty, not sure he should be risked? Not playing him obviously decreases chance of winning massively but he has a fair bit of rugby this season and were he to get injured, it would be real disaster stuff.

Is Horwitz or Conor Fitzgerald any closer to a return?

I'd be very wary of sending out anyone too vital. A win in Belfast could well be on the cards. Lets not scupper that by risking guys against a Munster team who are chasing a bonus point win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement