Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Both playoff games were on the Saturday last year and there was some rumours from Ulster fans online that Ravenhill staff had been told it would be Saturday.

Really? Was hoping personally it'd be the Friday evening. Won't be able to make it the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I'd be very wary of sending out anyone too vital. A win in Belfast could well be on the cards. Lets not scupper that by risking guys against a Munster team who are chasing a bonus point win.

I imagine lads like Burke, Delahunt, Copeland, Niyi will be used. Can Stephen Fitzgerald play, not that he's been signed on for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    macslash wrote: »
    I imagine lads like Burke, Delahunt, Copeland, Niyi will be used. Can Stephen Fitzgerald play, not that he's been signed on for next year?

I imagine thats still a loan deal to season end and then the new deal is active so probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

freyners wrote: »
    I imagine thats still a loan deal to season end and then the new deal is active so probably not

Was it not a short-term loan deal, and he was supposed to go back to Munster a couple of months ago? It may have been a full contract since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Zzippy wrote: »
    Was it not a short-term loan deal, and he was supposed to go back to Munster a couple of months ago? It may have been a full contract since then.

Signed a 3 month deal at Christmas, then signed a full contract last week for next season.

Not sure what way it works, but I'm sure there's some form of agreement with Munster to say here he's Connacht's now for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Best retiring at the end of the World Cup. That ulster crowd will want a John mulddon vs Leinster sort of day in the quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Best retiring at the end of the World Cup. That ulster crowd will want a John mulddon vs Leinster sort of day in the quarter final.

Nobody charge down the kick! I enjoy that high horse waaay too much.

The Friend Zone
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Nobody charge down the kick! I enjoy that high horse waaay too much.

Connacht will be winning by so much there’ll be no need to charge down any kicks. All in all if he is fit to play I’d have no problem with him taking a kick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Ulster Game on the Saturday
    https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1118896071705542656

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

If we were to beat Ulster, what would our semi-final look like? Would it be Leinster or Glasgow? Assuming the tables stay as they are.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    If we were to beat Ulster, what would our semi-final look like? Would it be Leinster or Glasgow? Assuming the tables stay as they are.

Glasgow or Munster away, hopefully Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Craggy Rugby pod today were referencing Andy Friends comments earlier in the season about having a leaner squad next season.

Not sure squad could be much leaner really especially considering European cup rugby. Also seemed to get off relatively lightly on injuries this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Craggy Rugby pod today were referencing Andy Friends comments earlier in the season about having a leaner squad next season.

Not sure squad could be much leaner really especially considering European cup rugby. Also seemed to get off relatively lightly on injuries this season.

Possibly rely on the academy guys a bit more which is good for development but risky in terms of performance.
    Maybe down to the great work of JOC along with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Leaner but with 2 big big names might not be bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Next season is really going to test the squad. This season has been a success so far in my mind and I think we managed our resources well. Andy Friend gave as many players as possible at least some sort of chance but we essentially wrote off the Challenge Cup.

We still had an OK season in that competition but you can't get away with mix and match teams in the Champions Cup and there are some areas in our squad that are very light. Its a very tough market this summer but I think we need a minimum of 5 more signings to give us a real chance next season.

I think we need a minimum of 5 more signings to give us a real chance next season.

If Kerrins is promoted, and DeBuitlear/Joyce in Academy year 3

NIQ TH
    NIQ Winger
    squad 2nd row (M.Kearney)
    squad Back-3

There's where the money should go, with the order

1 or 2 more low-money signings to complete maybe.

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    If Kerrins is promoted, and DeBuitlear/Joyce in Academy year 3

NIQ TH
    NIQ Winger
    squad 2nd row (M.Kearney)
    squad Back-3

There's where the money should go, with the order

1 or 2 more low-money signings to complete maybe.

Joyce is gone, wasn’t announed with the other senior players as he was in the academy but he was presented a jersey after the match as he made a few senior appearances.

On signings, a Second choice TH and first choice back three have to be high priorities. After that I’d be looking at beefing up second row, a second choice 7, second choice ten and if funds are available I’d look at hoosehead and an extra back three player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd say there'll be a very small amount of the 2500 Connacht ticket allocation available when general sale opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'd say there'll be a very small amount of the 2500 Connacht ticket allocation available when general sale opens.

Sick toddler so haven't had a moment to log in. Is it one ticket per ST in the pre-sale? Anyone know how many season tickets were sold this year?

Why 2500? Supposed to be 25% of a 18K stadium, so 4500?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    connachta wrote: »
    Why 2500? Supposed to be 25% of a 18K stadium, so 4500?

I think I read on an article somewhere it was 4.5k also

Think I must have the wrong figure so. Apologies.

On the presale it was 4 tickets per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    pita Akhi starting at 12 for Toulouse v Leinster on Sunday, it was baffling how little Keane used him last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Hi Westie friends, could ye recommend a bar in Galway city centre to watch the rugby tomorrow? Maybe a place that won't be too mobbed and does good food?

Hi Westie friends, could ye recommend a bar in Galway city centre to watch the rugby tomorrow? Maybe a place that won't be too mobbed and does good food?

Murty's is the Connacht Supporters Club bar and does lovely pub food. It might be busy but it'll be a good atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Buskers on cross street. food is good there.
    Will be very busy though. always is. get there early enough before game to get decent spot

Some Like It TOH
    Thank you kind Connaught people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Both of the above are good suggestions. If the weather is as cracking as it is today you could head in to O'Connell's which has a huge outdoor area with a pop up dough bros that does great pizza. It will be busy though so you'd want to be in early to get a seat outside particularly with a view of a telly. An púcán on college road is another good one, or the dáil is usually pretty good for some atmosphere and the food is quite good. Everywhere will probably be busy though so I'd suggest getting in early if possible.

Some Like It TOH
    Also, any suggestions around Salthill for lunch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Also, any suggestions around Salthill for lunch?

What are you looking for?

Oslo is a Galway Bay Brewery bar, it was actually where they initially brewed all their beer, and does nice pub grub and a great selection of beer.
    Gourmet food parlour is more of a cafe kind of place I think they are a branch of a place in Dublin.
    Up until a few weeks ago I would have also suggested Gourmet Tart, but you might want to give it a miss

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement