Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Bill Johnson has another year of a contract left. He's a bit wasted in in his current place in the pecking order. One of him or JJ should be looking at a move.

I know Johnston looks promising but he seems to pick up his fair shares of injuries and is he better(or does he offer more than) than Horwitz / Fitzgerald?

I think you need a guy who’ll come in and straight away challenge carty and for this season anyways that player has to be Irish qualified. I just don’t see many tens who can come in and make that impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Johnston could be a real option, he just needs some time to develop. He's firmly 4th choice at Munster behind 3 guys who are all relatively young.

I could see Connacht picking him up in a year unless his fortunes change significantly at Munster. He'll be 23 and at a point where he really needs to get about 10 starts a season to move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    I'd hate for Munster to lose Johnston but new contracts for Carbery, Bleyendaal and JJ doesn't scream confidence in him going forward. He is contracted at Munster for next season only.

The Friend Zone
    I'd hate for Munster to lose Johnston but new contracts for Carbery, Bleyendaal and JJ doesn't scream confidence in him going forward. He is contracted at Munster for next season only.

Could contracts like his be broken a year early? Or would he be too low profile for the irfu to move around?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Could contracts like his be broken a year early? Or would he be too low profile for the irfu to move around?

I'd say if Connacht were really stuck, the IRFU would help a brother out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH

It's a RWC year and while the Pro14 is starting later than usual, Munster will need Johnston around as Carbery will be subject to rest periods. Also the outside backs in the squad have been trimmed down (Fitzgerald to Connacht and ROM retiring) so Hanrahan may be used at centre or fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Don’t think the IRFU will want to make habit of contracts being broken, know it was done with Carbery but won’t want it to become the norm, rightly so. Could potentially get Johnston on a loan at some point I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Can’t have two NIQs in the position I think so limited to Irish? Cathal Marsh is the only option that springs to mind, don’t think he would necessarily be no.2 but he might be good for depth and affordable.

That "rule" has been skirted with little issue in the recent past at other provinces, I doubt there would be any issue with Connacht doing it if a good enough signing could be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Bazzo wrote: »
    That "rule" has been skirted with little issue in the recent past at other provinces, I doubt there would be any issue with Connacht doing it if a good enough signing could be found.

It's usually been skirted with regard to having above the max number of NIQ's or having two provinces with NIQ's in the same position. It would be very unusual (and probably not great practice) to let one province have two NIQ players (kinda three with Godwin) in the one position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Don’t think the IRFU will want to make habit of contracts being broken, know it was done with Carbery but won’t want it to become the norm, rightly so. Could potentially get Johnston on a loan at some point I suppose.

I'm kinda surprised Connacht didn't get Keatly or Johnston at some point this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I really hope next season is much better for Horwitz. He has had a good few injuries and that must be tough to take when you are halfway across the world from home. He didn't look terrible when he played and is a lovely distributer.
    Even with him and Fitzgerald we need another OH with Jack going to the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I'm kinda surprised Connacht didn't get Keatly or Johnston at some point this year.

Johnston maybe but Keatley would have been coming back and could not see that, short term before he goes to Italy?. He has done well for Irish in London by all accounts

Mul, it's over
    It's usually been skirted with regard to having above the max number of NIQ's or having two provinces with NIQ's in the same position. It would be very unusual (and probably not great practice) to let one province have two NIQ players (kinda three with Godwin) in the one position.

Nah provinces have specifically been allowed 2 NIQs in the one position in the past, Groebler and Kleyn for example. Taute and Saili is another off the top of my head. There are others.

The Friend Zone
    Nah provinces have specifically been allowed 2 NIQs in the one position in the past, Groebler and Kleyn for example. Taute and Saili is another off the top of my head. There are others.

Cloete and Arno Botha, seeing a common trend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone

The rule actually bit us the behind before having signed Boshoff we could not keep McGinty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I really hope next season is much better for Horwitz. He has had a good few injuries and that must be tough to take when you are halfway across the world from home. He didn't look terrible when he played and is a lovely distributer.
    Even with him and Fitzgerald we need another OH with Jack going to the WC.

Conor Dean seems to have been training with the senior team quite a bit in recent weeks, maybe they’re having a good look at him to see if he’s good enough to be 4th choice next year.

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    The rule actually bit us the behind before having signed Boshoff we could not keep McGinty.

Yeah that's true but I feel like more concession would be made if you're possibly losing your number 1 to Ireland camps.

Or we could do some of the positional gymnastics that seem to have worked previously and claim that Godwin is a winger, Horwitz is a centre and we have no NIQ 10. Or sign a 10 as a full back but just play them at 10 anyway.

The Friend Zone
    Yeah that's true but I feel like more concession would be made if you're possibly losing your number 1 to Ireland camps.

Or we could do some of the positional gymnastics that seem to have worked previously and claim that Godwin is a winger, Horwitz is a centre and we have no NIQ 10. Or sign a 10 as a full back but just play them at 10 anyway.

Sure feck it, Andy is nuciforas buddy, I’m sure he can help a friend out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Lads, just wondering where are the Connacht fans setting up on Saturday? I'll have a Munster colleen with me so not sure where to sit her...😅

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

macslash wrote: »
    Lads, just wondering where are the Connacht fans setting up on Saturday? I'll have a Munster colleen with me so not sure where to sit her...��
    East terrace is where a lot of Clan are going but there's few big groups in west terrace as well. Stewards and some other match day staff going to be in the west terrace afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Sure feck it, Andy is nuciforas buddy, I’m sure he can help a friend out

Frawley and Porter would do nicely 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is there a risk of the Kolpak rule causing havoc if another NIQ from Aus/NZ is signed? I know Horowitz has a Zimambwean passport, but do either of Butler or Fainga'a have any other than their Australian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    I think Marsh would do well at Connacht. He was unfortunate never to get a go at Leinster during the resurgence under Lancaster because of injuries and other quality players stepping in and delivering the goods. He's a good running 10. The shape he puts on the attack is good. Personally, I would take him back at Leinster over Madigan because he's not selfish and brings others into the game better with his passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    Any idea if there is room on the Clan bus for Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Redo91 wrote: »
    Any idea if there is room on the Clan bus for Saturday?

I think so head to the clan site fast mind

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

I think so head to the clan site fast mind

None of the 4 provinces wanted Marsh - think that says enough. Fact that Ulster resorted to taking a gamble on Billy Burns ahead of Marsh tells its own story.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Lebute wrote:
    None of the 4 provinces wanted Marsh - think that says enough. Fact that Ulster resorted to taking a gamble on Billy Burns ahead of Marsh tells its own story.

Gamble on a bloke who had 100 appearances for Gloucester in the Premiership and Europe over Cathal Marsh despite being a couple of years younger?

Marsh is a good player. He could do a job as second/third choice at Ulster or Connacht and would be useful in that role but that probably wouldn't appeal to him at this stage of his career.

The Friend Zone
    Bad news for Connachta as Murray kinsella is reporting Ben betts has moved to Nottingham and that Oisin heffernan has extended his contract there too

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Bad news for Connachta as Murray kinsella is reporting Ben betts has moved to Nottingham and that Oisin heffernan has extended his contract there too

is that 3 clubs in 3 seasons for Betts - doesn't reflect greatly if it is

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    If both are fit who do you start at 9 against ulster, blade or marmion? I don't think selection tomorrow will show much if marmion starts but that’s because he got so little game time against Cardiff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement